Re: [tesla] re: Tesla in Science Fiction

  • dave pierson
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 20, 2010
      > It has always struck me as odd how little Tesla is mentioned in
      > Science Fiction.
      > You would think that, with as important as his work has been for the
      > infrastructure of society, that Sci-Fi writers would have
      > included him more often?
      It has been argued that Tesla is/was the prototype for sundry
      'Mad Scientists'. Dr Frankenstein, of course precedes him.

      Beyond that writer's write what they know. Argubaly the
      saddest aspect of Tesla's carreer is how few people know
      of him...

      > Does anybody know of any decent Sci-Fi books that feature Tesla's
      > work?
      > I've searched online, but haven't really come up with anything...
      Not STRICTLY to the question, however in a 'detective story series'
      written and set in 1910ish vintage New York City, Tesla DOES make
      anappearance, in persion, named. If there is interest I can dig
      out the book. (I hope...)

      New dwp: dave_p@...
    • Maureen Campbell
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 30, 2010
        Well, there was The Five Fists of Science:
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Five_Fists_of_Science

        peace,
        Maureen

        ==================
        ~ Twinkle, dammit! ~
      • dave pierson
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 6, 2010
          > > Does anybody know of any decent Sci-Fi books that feature Tesla's
          > > work?
          > > I've searched online, but haven't really come up with anything...
          > Not STRICTLY to the question, however in a 'detective story series'
          > written and set in 1910ish vintage New York City, Tesla DOES make
          > an appearance, in person, named. If there is interest I can dig
          > out the book. (I hope...)
          Oooopsie, sort of.

          Digging, in the designated, place:
          Craig Kennedy, Scientific Detective
          Arthur Reeve
          1910

          (So far so good, but)

          The story line and, specifically, the appearance by Tesla,
          are not to be found. A related story, with specific mention
          of Tesla, and his inventions _is_ there.

          The Terror in the Air.

          If interested:

          google books, search by authour (Arthur Reeve) and Tesla

          brings up access to a 'full view' copy: one story in an
          anthology (Titled: The Silent Bullet).

          (Here's the direct URL: I'm guessing it will be busted...

          http://books.google.com/books?id=y2EXAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA282&dq=tesla+inauthor:arthur+inauthor:reeve&hl=en&ei=fMyETI3RO4L-8AanpMDLAg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CC0Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=tesla%20inauthor%3Aarthur%20inauthor%3Areeve&f=false

          )

          New dwp: dave_p@...