re: Tesla in Science Fiction

  • Steven Collins
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 4, 2010
      It has always struck me as odd how little Tesla is mentioned in Science Fiction.
      You would think that, with as important as his work has been for the infrastructure
      of society, that Sci-Fi writers would have included him more often?

      Does anybody know of any decent Sci-Fi books that feature Tesla's work?
      I've searched online, but haven't really come up with anything...

    • dave pierson
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 20, 2010
        > It has always struck me as odd how little Tesla is mentioned in
        > Science Fiction.
        > You would think that, with as important as his work has been for the
        > infrastructure of society, that Sci-Fi writers would have
        > included him more often?
        It has been argued that Tesla is/was the prototype for sundry
        'Mad Scientists'. Dr Frankenstein, of course precedes him.

        Beyond that writer's write what they know. Argubaly the
        saddest aspect of Tesla's carreer is how few people know
        of him...

        > Does anybody know of any decent Sci-Fi books that feature Tesla's
        > work?
        > I've searched online, but haven't really come up with anything...
        Not STRICTLY to the question, however in a 'detective story series'
        written and set in 1910ish vintage New York City, Tesla DOES make
        anappearance, in persion, named. If there is interest I can dig
        out the book. (I hope...)

        New dwp: dave_p@...
      • Maureen Campbell
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 30, 2010
          Well, there was The Five Fists of Science:
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Five_Fists_of_Science

          peace,
          Maureen

          ==================
          ~ Twinkle, dammit! ~
        • dave pierson
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 6, 2010
            > > Does anybody know of any decent Sci-Fi books that feature Tesla's
            > > work?
            > > I've searched online, but haven't really come up with anything...
            > Not STRICTLY to the question, however in a 'detective story series'
            > written and set in 1910ish vintage New York City, Tesla DOES make
            > an appearance, in person, named. If there is interest I can dig
            > out the book. (I hope...)
            Oooopsie, sort of.

            Digging, in the designated, place:
            Craig Kennedy, Scientific Detective
            Arthur Reeve
            1910

            (So far so good, but)

            The story line and, specifically, the appearance by Tesla,
            are not to be found. A related story, with specific mention
            of Tesla, and his inventions _is_ there.

            The Terror in the Air.

            If interested:

            google books, search by authour (Arthur Reeve) and Tesla

            brings up access to a 'full view' copy: one story in an
            anthology (Titled: The Silent Bullet).

            (Here's the direct URL: I'm guessing it will be busted...

            http://books.google.com/books?id=y2EXAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA282&dq=tesla+inauthor:arthur+inauthor:reeve&hl=en&ei=fMyETI3RO4L-8AanpMDLAg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CC0Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=tesla%20inauthor%3Aarthur%20inauthor%3Areeve&f=false

            )

            New dwp: dave_p@...