Has anyone in the group done Stand-In work?

  • Ken Kupstis (Duhhh.)
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 7, 2008
      You KNOW the economy is bad when you agree to work as a stand-in...
      Anyway, I agreed to be Giovanni Ribisi's stand-in on a film shooting in
      a couple days, and the Director told the Casting Director "Well, I need
      someone who's done stand-in work before! I can't have any screw-ups!"
      And I don't have a big history of screwing things up, but I don't have
      any experience as a stand-in, either. (Well, I did it on Pat Moran's
      film Biohazard, but that was in 1993, and it was an emergency, and I
      only had to stand in for a few minutes.)

      I'm guessing I just stay on the mark throughout the scene and wait for
      instructions. If anyone else has some helpful ideas or suggestions,
      please hit me up here, or KenKupstis@..., or shoKKers@....
      Beast Witches, K.K.
    • Andy Ussach
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 14, 2008
        --- In terroronchurchstreet@yahoogroups.com, "Ken Kupstis (Duhhh.)" <kenkupstis@...>
        wrote:

        > You KNOW the economy is bad when you agree to work as a stand-in...
        > Anyway, I agreed to be Giovanni Ribisi's stand-in on a film shooting in
        > a couple days, and the Director told the Casting Director "Well, I need
        > someone who's done stand-in work before! I can't have any screw-ups!"
        > And I don't have a big history of screwing things up, but I don't have
        > any experience as a stand-in, either. (Well, I did it on Pat Moran's
        > film Biohazard, but that was in 1993, and it was an emergency, and I
        > only had to stand in for a few minutes.)
        >
        > I'm guessing I just stay on the mark throughout the scene and wait for
        > instructions. If anyone else has some helpful ideas or suggestions,
        > please hit me up here, or KenKupstis@..., or shoKKers@...
        > Beast Witches, K.K.

        Always be around and ready for when they need you. The Director will usually get pretty
        mad if they have to wait for the 2nd team when they are needed. Pay attention to what
        they are asking you to do, and read through your daily sides / script. Sometimes they may
        want you to act out or walk the blocking for the shot. Just be prepared for anything, and
        that includes to jump in as an extra when needed.
        Hope that helps,
        Andy
      • Ken Kupstis
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 15, 2008
          Thanks Andy!
          You're 100% right...luckily the shoot went pretty smooth and the crew even told my agent that I did a great job...I was sweating bullets the whole time...
          The crew was freakin' HILARIOUS too: the DP was Polish, and there was a stripper's pole on the set. One of the lighting guys said "Can we get rid of that Pole?" and the UPM said "We can't, I need him to work the camera..."

          The film's MIDDLE MEN w/Giovanni Ribisi, Luke Wilson and James Caan, it should be out sometime early 2009.

          Thanks again!
          KK

          FREAK OUT at the K.K. CORRAL!
          ROCK HER WORLD! A Man's Guide To Women, out NOW at www.RockHerWorld.net
          CLOWNWHITE: A COMEDY OF HORRORS at www.AuthorHouse.com
          INHUMAN RESOURCES at www.Iuniverse.com
          Preview VOODOO HIGHWAY at www.angelfire.com/tv2/voodoohighway
          THIS WON'T HURT A BIT on Audio at www.CDbaby.com

        • Kim Donovan
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 23, 2008
            I've done it three times. I guess the most important thing to do is
            to be paying attention, so when they call "second team", you aren't
            busy chatting or reading (I've seen it happen to other stand-ins and
            that really annoys the director). Also, occasionally they may want
            you to do the lines, so it's good to be familiar with them if you
            have the time to memorize them. Also, I guess just be polite, and
            don't try to chat up the principles unless they approach you first.
            If they have you in an awkward position (in Six Wives of Henrey Lefay
            I had to lie in bed with a guy with my head on his chest. It took
            every bit of willpower not to laugh and meke comments. Just kept
            trying to imagine he was an inanimate pillow. Also, it was in a scene
            where she has just found out earlier that her father is dead, so
            she's supposed to be sad, so I tried to think of that)

            So anyway, are you making your way out to LA anytime?