TERROR VS. THE LONDON DUNGEON

  • Ken Kupstis (Duhhh.)
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 10 10:03 AM
      HELL-o again all, K.K. here.

      I just got back from London, and got to see my favorite place THE
      LONDON DUNGEON again.

      Back in '83 it was basically a big torture museum with all kinds of
      hellish dioramas. Now they've got performers.

      You start off with girls in tavern-wench garb (and plague makeup) as
      barkers on the street. You get your tickets, line up and wander
      through a catacomb. Then you get a photo opportunity with you in the
      stocks, with your friend holding an axe over your head.

      From there, there's a a group of dioramas about the Black Plague,
      with live rats behind one window, and one mannequin that continually
      vomits green slime.

      You wait at the far door for a bit, then you enter a crypt (not
      unlike our old 'altar monk', in fact almost identical to it. The
      performer wasn't that great. Loud, but pretty abusive.

      The performer opens the far door and you enter a catacomb of mirrors,
      shrouded in fog. It's a great effect but it also gets frustrating
      after a bit, almost everyone makes 5 or 6 wrong turns and has to
      start over until you finally find your way through. I imagine a lot
      of people have gotten totally lost in there.

      The next room is a medieval doctor examining a plague victim
      mannequin ("This is how we did it in the old days...a lot of
      guesswork...let's see, is this the liver?" He rips out an organ and
      fluid sprays over the group. "Whoops, no, that's the bladder,
      sorry...")

      Next stop is the 'bloody tower' where a female torturer picks a
      victim at random, obliges him to sit in a chair and explains how a
      lot of torture devices were used, in graphic detail. Then we're shown
      into a medieval courtroom where a jolly but sadistic medieval judge
      asks a few people their names, accuses them of various horrid crimes
      (sheep-shagging, etc.) and passes sentence (always death, of course).

      We're taken to "Traitor's Gate" which is a cool little boat ride that
      duplicates the actual Traitor's Gate where criminals were brought
      into the Tower of London. The boat turns, goes backwards and down a
      short slide, not enough to get anyone wet.

      There's a couple of rooms dedicated to Jack The Ripper; one has a
      historical slide show of the murders, the next is a tavern set where
      the barkeep tells you about the past..."Mary Kelly was in here that
      night, and the ripper got her. Then Anne Bobbie was in here, and the
      ripper got her. The boys would say 'So & so is the ripper!', and
      they'd run off in a mob to get justice. Funny thing, all the murders
      happened around this pub. So the Ripper could be anyone, around
      here..." He starts leering, and the lights flicker. You think, OK,
      he's the Ripper, but suddenly another Actor in a Ripper outfit lunges
      through the side door, wields a knife, then the lights go out (That's
      the scariest part of the tour).

      Sweeney Todd's Barbershop is next; you all sit in barber chairs; the
      lights go out and hidden speakers crank out Sweeney's voice-over of
      the very CLOSE haircut and free SHAVE he's going to give you.
      Afterwards the chairs drop a bit.

      After that, there's a slide show about the great Fire of London, how
      it started and how many people died. Smoke (dry Ice) starts filling
      the set and colored lights shoot through the walls. You have to move
      through one of those spinning tunnels (I think we had one in the last
      version of Terror), only this one has red lights and fog to make you
      think you're walking through fire.

      Then you're placed in the Extremis "Doom Drop", to simulate being
      hanged (and sell the obligatory embarrassing photo, of course), but
      the device only lists you and drops you 20 feet or so, so it's not
      incredibly horrifying.

      The tour is around L20 ($20 in British pounds, but equates to $40.00
      US). The overall experience is historic and amusing, but not
      necessarily scary (at least, not to me). TERROR was way scarier than
      this. A few of the performers were quite good (The Doctor, The Judge,
      The Barkeep), most others seemed bland, surly and bored.

      The sets and effects of The London Dungeon outdid Terror, but our
      cast and makeup was a lot better...and of course, we were a lot
      scarier.

      The London Dungeon is one of several "Dungeons" in effect throughout
      Europe; there's now Edinburgh, Amsterdam and Hamburg, as I understand
      it.

      "Beast Witches", K.K.
      www.rockherworld.net
      www.myspace.com/rockherworld
    • Kim Donovan
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 14 2:48 AM
        I want to go!!!!
        Any pics?

        --- In terroronchurchstreet@yahoogroups.com, "Ken Kupstis (Duhhh.)"
        <kenkupstis@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > the device only lists you and drops you 20 feet or so, so it's not
        > incredibly horrifying.
        >
        > The tour is around L20 ($20 in British pounds, but equates to
        $40.00
        > US). The overall experience is historic and amusing, but not
        > necessarily scary (at least, not to me). TERROR was way scarier
        than
        > this. A few of the performers were quite good (The Doctor, The
        Judge,
        > The Barkeep), most others seemed bland, surly and bored.
        >
        > The sets and effects of The London Dungeon outdid Terror, but our
        > cast and makeup was a lot better...and of course, we were a lot
        > scarier.
        >
        > The London Dungeon is one of several "Dungeons" in effect
        throughout
        > Europe; there's now Edinburgh, Amsterdam and Hamburg, as I

      • Ken Kupstis
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 15 12:57 PM

          Ayuh, there's a new photo collection posted called The KK Corral.

          Best, KK

          FREAK OUT at the K.K. CORRAL!
          ROCK HER WORLD! A Man's Guide To Women, out NOW at www.RockHerWorld.net
          CLOWNWHITE: A COMEDY OF HORRORS at www.AuthorHouse.com