Early ‘Tree of Life’ Screening Impression Compares Film To ’2001: A Space Odyssey’

  • Andre West
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 3 10:32 AM
      Don't know if this is valid, but...from Film Stage at: http://thefilmstage.com/2010/09/03/early-tree-of-life-screening-impression-compares-film-to-2001-a-space-odyssey/?utm_source=wordtwit&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=wordtwit

      Early ‘Tree of Life’ Screening Impression Compares Film To ’2001: A Space Odyssey’
      Posted on 03 September 2010 by Jordan Raup in News

      jQuery(document).ready(function($) { window.setTimeout('loadFBShareMe_38520()',5000); }); function loadFBShareMe_38520(){ jQuery(document).ready(function($) { $('.dd-fbshareme-38520').remove();$('.DD_FBSHAREME_AJAX_38520').attr('width','53');$('.DD_FBSHAREME_AJAX_38520').attr('height','69');$('.DD_FBSHAREME_AJAX_38520').attr('src','http://widgets.fbshare.me/files/fbshare.php?url=http://thefilmstage.com/2010/09/03/early-tree-of-life-screening-impression-compares-film-to-2001-a-space-odyssey/&size=large'); }); }

      A member of the Home Theater Forum was treated to an early screening of Terrence Malick’s long-awaited Tree of Life last night “at work.” I’d love to have his job. You can check out his impressions below a long with possible release news.
      Saw TREE OF LIFE the other night at work and it really is amazing. Hypnotic,
      more like. I won’t give anything about it away here, but yes it is long
      and there has already been talk in the news about Malick releasing it,
      then re-cutting it, then re-releasing it, etc.
      The main bulk of the film is about his childhood growing up in Texas (reels 3-7 out of 9!). The “creation” footage is outstanding, absolutely jawdropping, and does indeed feel like 2001 – a lot of the effects are practical and your eyes can see that, which makes it really fascinating
      to watch. I don’t have a problem with the creation footage being
      connected to his boyhood, after all, most boys love dinosaurs, so that’s
      how I looked at it.
      The story is framed around the death of his middle brother (in
      Korea?? We never know) and is a reflection on the circle of life, the
      evolution of life out of the mess of the Big Bang, but also about life
      itself (the strained relationship with his severe father, a stunning performance by Brad Pitt, just stunning), and the end of the Universe. I still haven’t given anything away that hasn’t already been said in the press. The film just has to be seen to be believed! One feels like a child again, seeing the world through young wide eyes.
      On possible release and runtime:
      Yes, it is finished! I believe it releases in October but it may be a limited release. And yes again it’s about 3 hours! There is talk of a cut down version, which Malick did for New World as well, but nothing confirmed.
      There you have it. Take it with a grain of salt, since it is just a
      forum post, but it is better than nothing for what is my most
      anticipated film of the year. If they do actually plan to release in
      October, I’m surprised we haven’t heard anything. Stay tuned to TFS for
      more Tree of Life details as they come.
      What do you think of the early impressions?

    • jane howell
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 3 10:50 AM
        Let me know the minute a trailer comes out. My 15 mo old grandson filmed with
        brad in texas. I met and spoke to both Brad and Terry Malick. We are anxious to
        know if he is in the movie. thanks,

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 3 11:57 AM
          Finally burned a copy of the HDnet Version on two DL dvds (I don't have a Blue Ray Burner)
          Came out real nice,not perfect got it from cable
          Peter

        • Dave Guzman
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 3 4:59 PM
            Hmm... *very* sceptical.... Even if this was for real, it's a rather
            generic, uninspiring review.

            On Sat, Sep 4, 2010 at 3:32 AM, Andre West <andregwest@...> wrote:

> [...]
            > still haven�t given anything away that hasn�t already been said in the
            > press. The film just has to be seen to be believed! One feels like a child
            > again, seeing the world through young wide eyes.
            > On possible release and runtime:
            > Yes, it is finished! I believe it releases in October but it may be a
            > limited release. And yes again it�s about 3 hours! There is talk of a cut
            > down version, which Malick did for New World as well, but nothing confirmed.
            > There you have it. Take it with a grain of salt, since it is just a
            > forum post, but it is better than nothing for what is my most
            > anticipated film of the year. If they do actually plan to release in
            > October, I�m surprised we haven�t heard anything. Stay tuned to TFS for
            > more Tree of Life details as they come.
            > What do you think of the early impressions?

          • Paul Maher Jr.
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 3 5:14 PM
              It seems like he read the script . . .and that's all.

> [...]
              > One feels like a child
              > > again, seeing the world through young wide eyes.
              > > On possible release and runtime:
              > > Yes, it is finished! I believe it releases in October
              > but it may be a
              > > limited release. And yes again it’s about 3 hours!
              > There is talk of a cut
              > > down version, which Malick did for New World as well,
              > but nothing confirmed.
              > > There you have it. Take it with a grain of salt, since
              > it is just a
              > > forum post, but it is better than nothing for what is
              > my most
              > > anticipated film of the year. If they do actually plan
              > to release in
              > > October, I’m surprised we haven’t heard anything.
              > Stay tuned to TFS for
              > > more Tree of Life details as they come.
              > > What do you think of the early impressions?

            • Bilge Ebiri
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 3 5:22 PM
                >It seems like he read the script . . .and that's all.

                Agreed. Sounds either like a plant or, more likely, just a guy who wants
                some attention.
              • Oscar Houck
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 3 5:35 PM
                  You guys are amazing. I thought I was cynical. This could be an instance of the
                  boy who cried wolf, in reverse. Did it ever occur to you that the guy who wrote
                  this "review" might just be an average Joe who is simply not a very good writer?
                  Had we been privileged to see the film, we might have written a rhapsody. Maybe
                  the best he could do was a show tune. I hope he saw it, for the simple reason
                  that it would mean the film is out there. We flatter ourselves by thinking that
                  someone who wants attention would write a fake review on a Terrence Malick
                  message board. Who reads this thing? The movers and shakers in the industry? I
                  doubt it. Let's all agree that we love the man and his films and hope for the
                  best.

                  ________________________________

                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 3 5:48 PM
                    >You guys are amazing. I thought I was cynical. This could be an instance of
                    >the
                    >boy who cried wolf, in reverse. Did it ever occur to you that the guy who
                    >wrote
                    >this "review" might just be an average Joe who is simply not a very good
                    >writer?
                    >Had we been privileged to see the film, we might have written a rhapsody.
                    >Maybe
                    >the best he could do was a show tune.

                    I don't really take any issue with his writing. I mean, I don't even
                    remember his writing -- plenty of advance word posts are horribly written.
                    The problem is that the guy basically just summarizes the script. I don't
                    think there's anything in that review that isn't something from the script,
                    except for the earth-shaking news that Brad Pitt is totally amazing in it or
                    whatever. Also, the film isn't being test screened or anything like that.

                    >I hope he saw it, for the simple reason
                    >that it would mean the film is out there.

                    But...but...the film IS out there. I mean, it's not like Malick didn't shoot
                    it, and isn't editing it, and millions of dollars haven't been spent on it.
                    There is a film. It will come out. Some people will like it. Some people
                    will not. That is all.

                    >We flatter ourselves by thinking that
                    >someone who wants attention would write a fake review on a Terrence Malick
                    >message board. Who reads this thing? The movers and shakers in the
                    >industry? I
                    >doubt it.

                    Except that this sort of thing happens ALL THE TIME. In the age of the
                    internet, plenty of people like to get their rocks off by just getting this
                    sort of attention, or jerking people's chains, or whatever. It happens all
                    the time, literally, especially with films that are highly anticipated. (It
                    happened with THE THIN RED LINE, too.) I remember a couple of years ago some
                    douchebag got on the Criterion forum and claimed to have discovered Murnau's
                    long-lost FOUR DEVILS. Total anonymous hoax. Dude had nothing to gain from
                    it, but he totally went to town with it. Why? Who knows. People do stupid
                    shit like that.

                    >Let's all agree that we love the man and his films and hope for the
                    >best.

                    I don't understand why this is even a point of contention. Of course we love
                    Malick's films. What does that have to do with this? You are aware that Dude
                    Who Posted 'Review' of TREE OF LIFE is *not* Terrence Malick, right?

                    -Bilge