Malick's next flick a romance

  • Dave Guzman
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 3, 2010
      wow, Malick moves straight on to his next film after Tree of Life! Starring
      Christian Bale, Javier Bardem, Rachel McAdams and the Bond Girl from Qantum
      of Solace.

      http://www.deadline.com/hollywood/terry-malick-romances-next-drama-film/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

    • Oscar Houck
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 3, 2010
        The fact that Tree of Life may be finished makes it all the more disappointing that it didn't make it into theaters in 2009. I'd like nothing more than to see Malick competing with the over-hyped James Cameron for Best Director and Best Picture. Is it just me, or is this year's expanded list of nominees for Best Film especially weak? I was hopeful when they expanded the best film category to ten, but it looks as if this diluted the field rather than strengthened it. I mean, we have two animated features and one that draws heavily on a comic book type mentality. In fairness to Inglorious Basterds, I haven't seen it, or several of the nominees. I didn't want to. For instance, in the case of Nine, I'm one of those weird people that think truth is just as strange or stranger than fiction, so I avoid science fiction. To my detriment perhaps, but we're talking about strictly personal taste here, mine. I really liked Up in the Air but even that I felt was a
        small film posing as a larger one. A Serious Man and An Education are wonderful, but once again, Best Picture material? Where are all the jaw dropping films we long for? Bright Star, in its quiet power and beauty was one such film, a seemingly obvious choice, but we get instead something uplifting and PC like The Blind Side, a good, fairly solid movie, but great? Precious deserves any accolades it can garner but blue people, even with the right ecological message, no thanks. Jane Campion, you were screwed, and royally. You should be fighting it out with Kathryn Bigelow for Best Director. Maybe we should finally blow off the Oscars for the sham they are and look to Sundance and Cannes for our signs of life. We caught a glimmer from the Golden Globes.

        Best, Oscar

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 3, 2010
          >The fact that Tree of Life may be finished makes it all the more
          >disappointing that it didn't make it into theaters in 2009.
          >I'd like nothing more than to see Malick competing with the over-hyped
          >James Cameron for Best Director and Best Picture.

          I realize this is just an annual game of mad lib we play ("I can't believe
          [RANDOM FILM I DON'T LIKE] got nominated and [RANDOM FILM I DO LIKE]
          didn't," etc., but I never understand why people take a Malick Best Picture
          and/or Director nomination as a given. I mean, the only time this happened
          was for TTRL, and most people were kind of shocked at the nomination at the
          time, and he never stood a chance of winning. He wasn't even nominated for
          DAYS OF HEAVEN. Why can't we just enjoy the Oscars for the big mainstream
          party/coronation they are and also appreciate it when we get a NEW WORLD or
          something that flies over many viewers' heads? Maybe I'm just biased because
          I loved AVATAR and INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS, but I just don't see the point of
          the grousing. Sure, it's always a nice feeling when a film I like is
          nominated and/or wins an award, but I don't hold it against the Oscars
          because they didn't nominate THE NEW WORLD. It was a tough film for a lot of
          people to like. And if it *had* won an Oscar, we'd all probably be dealing
          with a backlash right about now. (Witness how everybody and his mother
          seemed to love the loathsome AMERICAN BEAUTY back in 1999; nowadays I can't
          even pay someone to say something nice about it. Similarly, I keep hearing
          people dissing THE DEPARTED and NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN nowadays, which just
          seems bizarre to me.)

          >Maybe we should finally blow off the Oscars for the sham they are and look
          >to Sundance and Cannes for our signs of life.

          You are aware that some of those films that are nominated for the Oscar
          premiered at Sundance and Cannes, right? PRECIOUS was at both, AN EDUCATION
          was at Sundance, INGLOURIOUS was at Cannes, etc.

          -Bilge
        • Paul Maher Jr.
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 3, 2010
            9 was truly wonderful and smart as a film. This havent even knowing that it was nominated at all, but it has malickian overtones as well.

            ________________________________

            ____________ _________ _________ __

            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 3, 2010
              Hey Bilge,

              What else are we going to grouse about!? : ) I knew I'd bait an Avatar supporter or two out there into the mix. Your point about accepting the Oscars for what they are is well taken and even has Zen overtones. They are what they are and be here now, they are certainly not going to change. Every year I watch them I swear to myself I won't waste my time again the following year. And every year I settle in with some popcorn and chocolate covered almonds. Just like the next Joe Schmoe, I'll admit I love my stars and can't resist the whole glittering mess. But, if Tree of Life isn't in the mix this time next year, I'll eat the cardboard box that the microwaveable popcorn comes in, and the box for the chocolate covered almonds too. Such is my confidence that this will be an undeniably great film, perhaps his masterpiece. And, you have to admit, Jane Campion got screwed.

              Best, O.

              ________________________________
              >The fact that Tree of Life may be finished makes it all the more
              >disappointing that it didn't make it into theaters in 2009.
              >I'd like nothing more than to see Malick competing with the over-hyped
              >James Cameron for Best Director and Best Picture.

              I realize this is just an annual game of mad lib we play ("I can't believe
              [RANDOM FILM I DON'T LIKE] got nominated and [RANDOM FILM I DO LIKE]
              didn't," etc., but I never understand why people take a Malick Best Picture
              and/or Director nomination as a given. I mean, the only time this happened
              was for TTRL, and most people were kind of shocked at the nomination at the
              time, and he never stood a chance of winning. He wasn't even nominated for
              DAYS OF HEAVEN. Why can't we just enjoy the Oscars for the big mainstream
              party/coronation they are and also appreciate it when we get a NEW WORLD or
              something that flies over many viewers' heads? Maybe I'm just biased because
              I loved AVATAR and INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS, but I just don't see the point of
              the grousing. Sure, it's always a nice feeling when a film I like is
              nominated and/or wins an award, but I don't hold it against the Oscars
              because they didn't nominate THE NEW WORLD. It was a tough film for a lot of
              people to like. And if it *had* won an Oscar, we'd all probably be dealing
              with a backlash right about now. (Witness how everybody and his mother
              seemed to love the loathsome AMERICAN BEAUTY back in 1999; nowadays I can't
              even pay someone to say something nice about it. Similarly, I keep hearing
              people dissing THE DEPARTED and NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN nowadays, which just
              seems bizarre to me.)

              >Maybe we should finally blow off the Oscars for the sham they are and look
              >to Sundance and Cannes for our signs of life.

              You are aware that some of those films that are nominated for the Oscar
              premiered at Sundance and Cannes, right? PRECIOUS was at both, AN EDUCATION
              was at Sundance, INGLOURIOUS was at Cannes, etc.

              -Bilge

            • Andre West
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 3, 2010
                So did Abbie Cornish.

                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 3, 2010
                  True! And, hearing Campion talk about Cornish in interviews around Bright Star sent me to Netflix for an Australian film called Somersault that was Cornish's coming out party. Wow. Great performance and a great film, on many levels.

                  ________________________________

                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 3, 2010
                    >Your point about accepting the Oscars for what they are is well taken and
                    >even has Zen overtones.
                    >They are what they are and be here now, they are certainly not going to
                    >change. Every year I watch
                    >them I swear to myself I won't waste my time again the following year. And
                    >every year I settle in with
                    >some popcorn and chocolate covered almonds. Just like the next Joe Schmoe,
                    >I'll admit I love my stars
                    >and can't resist the whole glittering mess.

                    We've never met, but I imagine we're probably around the same age, so maybe
                    you can relate to this: The other day I was having a conversation with a
                    friend and talking about how the whole phenomenon of Oscar snubbing some
                    favorite indie film of mine never really bothered me all that much, because
                    I grew up watching the Oscars in the 80s, when there was a pretty hard line
                    between Oscar movies, which were made by studios, and indie films. For
                    example, I don't remember anyone complaining that Oscar snubbed STRANGER
                    THAN PARADISE for TERMS OF ENDEARMENT -- those films basically existed in
                    totally separate worlds. (And, in a somewhat different way, I don't remember
                    anyone complaining that Oscar snubbed THE TERMINATOR.) And when DO THE RIGHT
                    THING (which *was* distributed by a studio) got 2 Oscar noms in 1989 (for
                    writing and supporting actor), it was considered a kind of welcome fluke.
                    (DRIVING MISS DAISY won Best Picture that year, btw. BORN ON THE FOURTH OF
                    JULY and/or MY LEFT FOOT wuz robbed.)

                    Now, however, a combination of indies becoming bigger Oscar players (thanks
                    to folks like Harvey Weinstein) and the virtually complete disintegration of
                    the Serious Studio Drama (remember those?) has contributed to this weird
                    situation where indie films, with smaller budgets and lower profiles, are
                    forced to compete for Oscars along with everybody else. A couple of
                    independent filmmakers have told me that over the past few years
                    distributors have lost any interest in picking up films at places like
                    Sundance if they can't mount an Oscar campaign for them -- usually for a
                    performance or two. So, something like JUNEBUG, with its potential for an
                    Amy Adams Oscar campaign, gets precedence over something more challenging,
                    which may cost less but which will often require more attention and caring
                    from its distributor to really make an impact.

                    >But, if Tree of Life isn't in the mix this time next year, I'll eat the
                    >cardboard box that the microwaveable
                    >popcorn comes in, and the box for the chocolate covered almonds too. Such
                    >is my confidence that this
                    >will be an undeniably great film, perhaps his masterpiece.

                    Well, nothing would make me happier, though it'd be hard for anything to top
                    DAYS OF HEAVEN for me.

                    -Bilge
                  • Oscar Houck
                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 3, 2010
                      I can't remember specifics as memory fails us and fades in our golden years, but if I recall correctly, I think that we are about the same age. That is fascinating about how the indie films have come to be in competition with the studio films, forcing fans and critics alike to compare apples and oranges. What can we say, except that the bottom line is still, surprise, the bottom line, money. Although I wasn't happy with this year's Oscar picks, and having grown up in the golden age for American cinema, the 70's, I miss those big but great movies like One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest and The Godfather, or on a smaller scale a Midnight Cowboy or The Graduate, I was heartened this year by what seemed to be so many good to great independent films. I think Manohla Dargis might have addressed this phenomena in this past Sunday's NYTimes but I haven't had time to read it yet.

                      I will never forget seeing Days of Heaven in a theater in Austin in 1978, probably the singular moviegoing experience of my life, a life spent in large measure at the movies. In a way, it was like seeing for the first time, for me anyway, with my personal limited access for so long to European films. DOH showed me what film could be, what it should be. Why have a visual medium if you're not going to concern yourself with visual beauty? It will always be my favorite for sentimental reasons but Thin Red Line moves closer and closer with each repeated viewing.

                      If you still have my personal email or can access it from the Malick site, I'd be curious to hear what exactly you found so loathsome about American Beauty. I can understand how it might not hold up over time, but I remember liking it at the when it came out.

                      Thanks, O.

                      - O.