OT: 35 RHUMS

  • Vanvutu
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 11, 2009
      I want to wholeheartedly recommend this lovely and aching film, 35 SHOTS OF RUM by Claire Denis. It appears to be an homage to Yasujiro Ozu's LATE SPRING, and there are also nods to the French New Wave. I loved this film so much that after it was finished, I went outside and bought another ticket for the next show immediately following.(I did the same for THE THIN RED LINE when it first came out.) I saw it again today.

      One thing I really loved about the film is that nothing is really ever spelled out for you - you have to guess from the clues the filmmakers drop to figure out the relationships and the back-stories of each of the characters. It's a film where so much is conveyed with the eyes and gestures...and household items ("still lifes").

      It is in French and German with English subtitles. There is one bit of dialogue I found very funny. I'm not sure if it is funny in the original French, too, but it involves that lonely and brooding bachelor in the film. He says in a serious tone that he's been offered a job overseas; and now that his cat is dead, he's decided to take it.

      The images will stay with you, and this film's final ones always leave me speechless.