What a find! - TNW literary sources.

  • Julien Picot
    Message 1 of 2 , May 4, 2009
      Here is an exquisite labor of research. Someone has uploaded fragments on THE NEW WORLD laying historical and literary sources used by Malick on the different voice-over along the film. Those are re-adapted fragments from the Bible, the John Smith diaries, History books, even Montaigne! (Of Cannibals), Walt Whitman, Hawthorne's Scarlet Letter, Melville, Dickens etc. It is such a nice find. Enjoy it:

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uERc0C7LlqY

      Regards,
    • Oscar Houck
      Message 2 of 2 , May 30, 2009

        Thanks for the post Julien. Just now got around to watching the video and it really is amazing. I wonder at this person having such a vast knowledge of literature that he or she could identify all these sources well enough from watching/listening to the film to chase them down. Maybe Malick's sources were listed somewhere in a publication of some sort we haven't been privy to? All writers are thieves of course but Malick is in the highest class.

        Best, Oscar