Re: You hate 'em but you watch.

  • a_gapey
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 1, 2006
      --- In terrencemalick@yahoogroups.com, SPecki9024@... wrote:

      > I think The Fountain could be a major player in the Oscars as well.
      Saw it last week and thought it was just beautiful...

      The Fountain hasn't opened here yet, but I'm looking forward to it.
      Here's a nice long interview with Aronofsky, Jackman and Weisz:
      http://www.scifi.com/sfw/interviews/sfw14171.html

      Agape
    • QueenMag
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 2, 2006
        Hello!
        Just checked my TM list mail. I am in Finland, where it is cold!

        Just my opinion:
        The Fountain is an amazing movie. I loved it. I am not sentimental,
        but it tears were streaming down my face 90% of the time. Definitely
        see on the big screen if you can. I read a fascinating "Wired"
        article about director Aronofsky and his efforts to get the film
        made. It's an inspiring peek into the world of artists. Also, he did
        not use any CGI in this film, and the way this was accomplished (a
        tinkering scientist/photographer and his son) was quite ingenius. The
        article can be read online at: http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/
        14.11/outsider_pr.html

        qMag

        On Dec 1, 2006, at 1:03 AM, a_gapey wrote:

        --- In terrencemalick@yahoogroups.com, SPecki9024@... wrote:

        > I think The Fountain could be a major player in the Oscars as well.
        Saw it last week and thought it was just beautiful...

        The Fountain hasn't opened here yet, but I'm looking forward to it.
        Here's a nice long interview with Aronofsky, Jackman and Weisz:
        http://www.scifi.com/sfw/interviews/sfw14171.html

        Agape

        .

      • a_gapey
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 3, 2006
          Great article on the gestation of The Fountain- thanks for posting
          it. I'd also been following this film's progress somewhat tangentally
          because I was eagerly anticipating Troy and had read all about
          Aronofsky's travails when Brad Pitt "left with the Trojans" :-).
          I've been very interested in The Fountain ever since (bring on those
          Mayans and conquistadors in outer space!), so your report is very
          encouraging because the movie's also been receiving lots of criticism
          for being "way out there". Has anyone else seen it?

          Queen Mag - what are you doing in Finland? Are you perhaps a reindeer
          enthusiast?

          Agape

          --- In terrencemalick@yahoogroups.com, QueenMag <hafidhaonyahoo@...>
          wrote:

          > Hello!
          > Just checked my TM list mail. I am in Finland, where it is cold!
          >
          > Just my opinion:
          > The Fountain is an amazing movie. I loved it. I am not
          sentimental, > but it tears were streaming down my face 90% of the
          time. Definitely > see on the big screen if you can. I read a
          fascinating "Wired" > article about director Aronofsky and his
          efforts to get the film > made. It's an inspiring peek into the
          world of artists. Also, he did > not use any CGI in this film, and
          the way this was accomplished (a > tinkering scientist/photographer
          and his son) was quite ingenius. The > article can be read online at:
          http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/
          > 14.11/outsider_pr.html
          >
          > qMag
          >

          > On Dec 1, 2006, at 1:03 AM, a_gapey wrote:
          >
          > --- In terrencemalick@yahoogroups.com, SPecki9024@ wrote:
          > >
          > > I think The Fountain could be a major player in the Oscars as
          well.
          > Saw it last week and thought it was just beautiful...
          >
          > The Fountain hasn't opened here yet, but I'm looking forward to it.
          > Here's a nice long interview with Aronofsky, Jackman and Weisz:
          > http://www.scifi.com/sfw/interviews/sfw14171.html
          >
          > Agape
          >
          > .

        • QueenMag
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 3, 2006
            Something terrible must be infecting the popular critics of today to
            make them call The Fountain "out there." What movies have these
            people been watching?

            I went to see The Fountain with expectations of something bizarre and
            phony. Instead, it is a metaphysical love story/rumination on
            mortality that stretches the imagination in the way that a film like
            "Hero" did. It's a bit of dream like fantasy mixed in so well with
            familiar reality that our whole lives seem up for question. This was
            not a conventional Hollywood movie, but neither was it an "Ashes of
            Time" or "Last Year in Marienbad," two movies which made a lot of
            really intelligent people think, "This is brilliant, but what the
            hell is going on?"

            I thought The Fountain was very accessible, and Hugh Jackman
            delivered a very difficult performance (never have I seen a male
            character cry so much, and in so many scenes). Maybe the problem is
            that the film did not seem to give any definitive answers. It's a
            looping, infinite, time-traveling type of movie - it is not linear,
            and that is one of its strengths. But for critics - presumably
            educated people - to be "confused" by this, or say there was "no
            character development" (a critique which seems absurd to me, given
            what the movie is about - is this just a cop-out critique used by
            people who didn't like it but can't articulate why?) - makes me
            really wonder about the state of film criticism today.

            Some people did seem to like it. One reviewer, Gabriel Shanks, of
            ModFab wrote, "I'm happy to report that Aronofsky's labor of love is
            as gorgeous and emotionally cathartic as you've heard; it is also as
            overwrought, trite and overbaked. Whether you can accept the naivete
            of the premise is up to you; this is a film of images and thought,
            not plot. What is astonishing, however, is its singleminded certainty
            of its own virtue -- you have to look back to Malick or Kubrick to
            find an American filmmaker offering up such a challenging vision to a
            mainstream audience without apology."

            I feel about The Fountain the way I did about Gangs of New York. A
            lot of people hated GoNY because of its over-the-top-ness. I thought
            GoNY was messy and a little out of control, but it was also so
            sincere and passionate that sitting in the theater watching it on a
            giant screen filled me with some hope for the creative process. We
            cannot always achieve perfection, but SOMETHING must be said for
            breaking free from the box-office-calculating/tested-to-death-by-
            audiences style of film making. The Fountain struck me as more
            restrained than GoNY (some critics disagree with me on this), but
            it's a really powerful story. More importantly, it was meaningful to
            me. A movie it reminded me of (also mentioned in Shanks' review) was
            Soderbergh's Solaris. Solaris also got mixed/bad reviews, but there
            is something really exquisite about it. Maybe it's that it has the
            feel of a movie that was made based on what the director wanted, and
            not what the director thought the viewers would want.

            Well, that was a bit of a rant, and far more than I expected to say.
            In a nutshell, I'm disappointed in a lot of critics. Maybe their
            brains are made numb by being forced to review movies like Dumb &
            Dumber. I take in a goofy comedy or romance once in a while, but I'm
            not going to waste my time writing about it and trying to measure its
            artistic quality. This is like a food critic having to write about
            every hot dog and bag of chips they eat. The mind would not be able
            to escape without injury.

            Oh, and I am in Finland to visit Santa Claus! No, I'm joking. I'm
            accompanying my significant other, who is on a business trip.

            I think I'm going to post some of this email on my blog; I am curious
            to know what other people think about The Fountain.

            Also, I think Oscar time will see one or more of the men from The
            Departed nominated. This movie was well-liked. And it is true that
            DiCaprio and Damon were very strong. I haven't seen too many new
            movies this year, though. The Good Shepherd and The Good German look
            promising.

            -qMag