Re: OT - cult of synchronicity + request for book recs

  • a_gapey
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 1, 2006
      --- In terrencemalick@yahoogroups.com, "a_gapey" <a_gapey@> wrote:
      Hey - that Twilight Zone music bit is *my* line! "Synchronicity",
      on the other hand, is yours :-). Although my Collins dictionary
      refused to cough up the goods when I looked it up the first time I
      read it here... I've since figured out it's the secular version of
      *deep booming voice says, "There are no coincidences!*

      --- In terrencemalick@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew" <xydeco95@...> wrote:
      Hey, if Sting uses it, it's a word.
      Best, Andrew

      Andrew,
      If only I had known that *Sting* has sanctified its usage! This would
      have come in handy when I distributed gifts the day we arrived at my
      father's house. While my stepmother wept tears of gratitude (similar
      to my father's as he hugged his box of Dutch chocolates) and gazed
      open-mouthed at wines I had brought - unwittingly - from her
      favourite winery in central California, I started in on the meaning
      and author of the term "synchronicity". "Sync - what?" she mumbled as
      she kissed the bottles. So there I was, in full River-talking mode,
      imparting what I thought was fascinating information, and no one was
      listening! My father had eaten his first chocolate and was
      levitating above his arm chair, oblivious to any discourse. My
      stepmother was lost in rapt contemplation of the Adelaida Winery
      labels on the Pinot Noir and Syrah she was holding up triumphantly.
      I'm convinced that had I said synchronicity is a term Sting likes to
      use, making no mention of Jung, she would have snapped out of her
      revery to correct me, "No, that's Justin Timberlake's band, dear".
      Alas, a unique opportunity wasted.

      But the synchronicity just kept swingin'. After meeting Tuan, I
      popped a CD full of lute music he had burned for me into my father's
      car CD player while we were caught in bumper-to-bumper traffic. Up
      pipes my stepmother: "Did you know that Sting is playing the lute
      now"? Fortunately she missed the WTF? expression on my face, as she
      was seated in front. But it's twoo, it's twoo!
      http://www.playbillarts.com/news/article/4646.html

      Agape
    • Andrew
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 1, 2006
        --- In terrencemalick@yahoogroups.com, "a_gapey" <a_gapey@...> wrote:

        > But the synchronicity just kept swingin'. After meeting Tuan, I
        > popped a CD full of lute music he had burned for me into my father's
        > car CD player while we were caught in bumper-to-bumper traffic. Up
        > pipes my stepmother: "Did you know that Sting is playing the lute
        > now"? Fortunately she missed the WTF? expression on my face, as she
        > was seated in front. But it's twoo, it's twoo!
        > http://www.playbillarts.com/news/article/4646.html
        >
        > Agape

        Speaking of "Skald!"...