Spirit of the Beehive

  • Zach Malm
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 3, 2006
      This was mentioned a couple weeks ago, so I got it from the library and
      watched it last night. Lovely film. I'll have to check out the
      Criterion disc when that comes out. Thanks for the recommendation.
    • Angela Havel
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 3, 2006
        Zach:

        I just rewatched this one a week ago...

        Which parts reminded you of Malick's work, I wonder? There are lots of shots that are from the same sensibility, I thought, especially the sensibility of *Days of Heaven*. Here's some I found:

        The shots of Ana and her sister on the train tracks, with the tracks disappearing into the horizon.

        Ana running across the grassy field in a long shot towards the building where she eventually finds the escapee.

        The lack of much dialogue.

        The use of VOs (from the father). I thought it was a good choice that we don't get Ana's thoughts in VO a la Linda in DoH, as Ana's power as a character comes from her enigmatic quality.

        The overall low-key yet chiaroscuro look of the film--especially the interior shots.

        The pocket watch that plays the lilting melody--a detail that would have worked well in DoH.

        The parallel relation of bee hives (nature) to human lives, echoed even more strongly by use of the father's VO than Malick's implied nature-human relationship in DoH.

        Any other similarities you noticed, Zach? I could discuss this film for hours! It's definitely an "acquired taste" film, wouldn't you say? Not as easy to "enter" as DoH. I'm thinking 90% of the people I know wouldn't make it through to the end. But I can't imagine anyone who likes Malick and especially DoH not seeing something to like in Erice's work.

        Angela

        Zach Malm <zachmalm@...> wrote: This was mentioned a couple weeks ago, so I got it from the library and
        watched it last night. Lovely film. I'll have to check out the
        Criterion disc when that comes out. Thanks for the recommendation.

        Community email addresses:
        Post message: terrencemalick@yahoogroups.com
        Subscribe: terrencemalick-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

        Shortcut URL to this page:
        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Zach Malm
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 3, 2006
          Truthfully, I was quite tired while watching this, and my girlfriend
          picked up a lot more than I did, so I won't be able to be too
          specific here, but the importance of landscape, the meandering, the
          lack of much dialogue, and much of the color scheme reminded me of
          Malick. I agree that Days of Heaven comes to mind first, mostly due
          to the specific landscape. The solitary building in the middle of
          the field, where she finds the escapee, reminds me of the farmer's
          house in DOH, the lone structure in a vast open landscape. The house
          in DOH was inspired by Andrew Wyeth's painting "Christina's World,"
          and the little girl in Spirit of the Beehive made me then think of
          Christina, alone in the huge field, though for obviously different
          reasons (the girl in the painting was paralyzed).
          It was odd that at times it felt so much more like Malick's southern
          midwest America than Spain, but I've never been to either place.
          There was a lot in there for any Malick fan, and just like his films,
          this one will require a few more veiwings for me.

          --Zach

          --- In terrencemalick@yahoogroups.com, Angela Havel <anghave@...>