Re: A little introduction, then Deleuze

  • g9ford2000
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 3, 2005
      Hi Finn,

      Is your film digitized, i.e. can you send it over the Internet? If
      so, I'd be interested in seeing it!

      Welcome to the group!

      --- In terrencemalick@yahoogroups.com, "finnsplace"
      <finn.szumlas@s...> wrote:

      > Hi everyone,
      > after an agonizing, three week long wait, my membership
      application
      > has finally been approved!
      > I am a student at the University of Amsterdam in the Netherlands
      and
      > am writing my thesis/dissertation to complete my film studies
      degree.
      > I am writing on The Thin Red Line, trying to
      investigate/problematize
      > the by now traditional claims that it, along with Malick's other
      > films, constitutes Heideggerian cinema. I'm trying to move toward
      > Deleuzean analysis of the film - not seeing it as an illustration
      of
      > philosophical ideas, but as a film that thinks in images and
      sounds.
      > For now though, I'm just working out all the different
      Heideggerian
      > readings in my first chapter.
      > I saw The Thin Red Line when it came out in the Netherlands in
      1999
      > and consequently fell in love with the film and with cinema at
      large.
      > Six months later I started my current studies.
      > In the summer of 2000 I also spent two months in New York City at
      the
      > New York Film Academy, where I shot a short film on 16mm partly
      > inspired by the swing sequence in TTRL. The film is called 'The
      > Continuing Story of'
      >
      > If anyone has any ideas on the connections between Heidegger,
      Deleuze
      > and Malick, please let me know!
      >
      > Nice meeting you all. Cheers,
      > Finn
    • finnsplace
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 4, 2005
        Unfortunately, my short is presently only in the vhs and celluloid
        formats. Actually, I just realised it would be possible to digitize
        the vhs copy quite easily. But don't expect it anytime soon ; )

        --- In terrencemalick@yahoogroups.com, "g9ford2000" <jgf212@n...>