The latest, bewildering, news !

  • Adrian Martin
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 11, 2004
      Dear Malickian friends - here's a piece that just
      appeared in Screen Daily about the furore around Malick's latest project,
      which is NOT Che any longer, but rather a film about Pocahontas!:

      Terrence Malick’s surprise decision to pull out of Che, a $40m picture
      about the life of Cuban revolutionary Che Guevara that he had
      co-written, has dented the pride and perhaps the finances of sales house
      Wild Bunch – but the blow is unlikely to be fatal either to the French
      seller or to the wider independent film sector.

      Late last week Malick informed his partners that instead of starting the
      project that was set to shoot in July, he had decided instead to proceed
      with The New World, a New Line-housed picture about Pocahontas, American
      natives and European explorers that he had also written. Malick
      reportedly said his reasons were that the indie-financed Che had not yet
      obtained its completion bond.

      Wild Bunch chief, Vincent Maraval says he is now considering legal
      action against Che producers Laura Bickford, Stephen Soderberg and
      Benicio Del Toro - who was also to have starred as Guevara - for failure
      to deliver the film that they had contracted Wild Bunch to sell and for
      damage to his company’s reputation.

      Bill Pohlad's Rover Road Entertainment was chief financier, with
      VIP/Rising Star and Spain's Morena Films.

      Alternatively, Maraval believes he may be advised to take out an
      injunction that would prevent Malick making any other picture until the
      matter has gone before an arbitration hearing.

      "I spoke with Malick for an hour in Berlin and he said that if Wild
      Bunch could come up with the necessary pre-sales at the AFM he would be
      making this film with us.

      "The film needed $32m of cash to get into production. We had to raise
      $15m at the AFM and did so. With France worth $4m and Germany for $3m
      still set to close, plus some smaller territories we were up to $23m.
      [German fund] VIP Medien was to have put up $9m. We put aside the 20
      other films on our slate to make this effort at the AFM, which gave a
      result bigger than our annual turnover in a normal year. The issue of
      the bond is nonsense, we would have got that in due course. Instead we
      find all that was for nothing."

      Maraval fears that he could be sued for non-delivery by his distributor
      clients and worries that his company’s reputation may have been damaged
      by the debacle. In which case he feels he should recover damages and
      interest from the producers.

      "This was a unique project for the independent sector. Malick has made
      all his films with studios, but because of the subject matter the US
      studios would not have produced this one, even if they would have come
      in later as distributor. It had to be made the independent way," said
      Maraval.

      "If Malick had understood the extent of the problems he has caused, I
      don’t think he would have done things the way he has."

      Maraval reports that Malick’s lawyers claim the director can still make
      both films. But with Malick having completed only three films in the
      last 35 years it looks as though Wild Bunch would have to wait some time
      if he were to make another film before Che.

      In that case Che would have to be completely restructured. "If there is
      a big delay VIP will be forced to drop out after this year, our Japanese
      deal will collapse and our UK deal with Pathe will be lost too," says
      Maraval.

      Many of the stars, including the busy Colin Farrell, had not been
      retained on pay-or-play deals and had only agreed to keep their
      schedules open in order to have the rare chance of working with Malick.

      Maraval says that the notorious case brought against Kim Basinger by the
      producers of Boxing Helena is precedent for the legal action he is
      considering. But his fears of being sued by distributors may be
      exaggerated.

      "This stuff happens. We don’t think of this as Wild Bunch’s fault. It is
      not their production. People should not think badly of them," said
      Berenice Fugard, acquisitions chief at Pathe Distribution in the UK. "We
      were really disappointed, but you can’t force people to do things. This
      was an exciting project with a great cast and a tough script, but Malick
      was what really interested us. He was an ‘essential element’ for us,
      without him we simply have no deal and there is no action to be taken."

      Other sales agents sympathised with the sales agent. "Wild Bunch has a
      good track record, they will bounce back. Thinking otherwise is
      unnecessarily paranoid," said one who asked not to be named. "If the
      deals were done at the AFM, then it is unlikely even that the
      distributors will have made signature payments yet."

      Distributors known to have signed deal memos for the film include J-Net
      from Korea and Bim from Italy.
    • Bilge Ebiri
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 11, 2004

        > Dear Malickian friends - here's a piece that just
        > appeared in Screen Daily about the furore around Malick's latest project,
        > which is NOT Che any longer, but rather a film about Pocahontas!:
        >
        > Terrence Malick’s surprise decision to pull out of Che, a $40m picture
        > about the life of Cuban revolutionary Che Guevara that he had
        > co-written, has dented the pride and perhaps the finances of sales house
        > Wild Bunch – but the blow is unlikely to be fatal either to the French
        > seller or to the wider independent film sector.
        >
        > Late last week Malick informed his partners that instead of starting the
        > project that was set to shoot in July, he had decided instead to proceed
        > with The New World, a New Line-housed picture about Pocahontas, American
        > natives and European explorers that he had also written. Malick
        > reportedly said his reasons were that the indie-financed Che had not yet
        > obtained its completion bond.

        [etc...]

        Oh well. Another year, another feud between Terrence Malick and whoever his
        producers then happen to be...

        I had heard that Malick intended to make CHE after the Pocahontas film, but
        all this sounds like classic Malick to me. Everyone who has ever worked with
        him has said that the man is famously indecisive, and the completion bond
        issue sounds more like an excuse than anything else. It doesn't surprise me
        one bit. There are all sorts of Malick projects that went the way of the
        dodo ostensibly because of some small technical reason, but really because
        TM is often unable to pull the trigger, and racked with doubts. I bet the
        Pochaontas movie falls, through, too.

        That said, I think the correct way to look at it is not at the interval
        between DoH and TTRL, when Malick stopped working altogether for a while,
        but at the more reasonable lag between BL and DoH. Granted, it takes him
        longer to put a project together nowadays, but I think if he can find
        himself a producer who can keep him in line and follow through...who knows?
        He might be able to finish both films within a few years.

        -Bilge
      • William Boodell
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 11, 2004
          Bilge,
          Quite true. I'm not sure if he's trigger shy or
          uninterested in filmmaking in general, but he
          certainly does hesitate when it comes to executing a
          film. What's remarkable to me, and perhaps this has
          been discussed extensively here already, is the way he
          makes a masterpiece (and, in my opinion his best film)
          after 20 years of doing other things. Unfortunately,
          George Lucas, who really does have raw talent (believe
          it or not) made three great films in the seventies,
          stopped directing for twenty years and man, does it
          show! I think it would be difficult for a great
          director to pull off as great a film as TTRL after 20
          years of not directing, but then again, maybe if you
          have IT to a certain point, you simply have IT and
          that's IT. Know what I mean? :)

          Hopefully, Malick will get his shit together or just
          stop making films. He's just too talented to tease
          film lovers like this.

          Best,
          Bill

          =====
          "A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
          - Dwight D. Eisenhower

          "Sorry don�t get it done, Dude."
          - John T. Chance to Dude in RIO BRAVO

          http://search.yahoo.com
        • Hafidha on Yahoo
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 13, 2004
            Things just get stranger and stranger with Malick. But none of it is a
            suprise!

            Clearly, the man is a perfectionist, and maybe he has a short attention
            span, too (when the going gets tough). It makes me think that the completion
            of TTRL as a miracle.

            -qm
          • Carsten Kurpanek
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 16, 2004
              I found this today on aintitcoolnews.com. I hope it’s true. Though, 2
              Malick films in 2 years – that ain’t never gonna happen…

              Terrence Malick will now direct his script THE NEW WORLD, a New Line
              drama about Pocahontas and the cultural collision of European explorers
              and Native American tribes. Colin Farrell has committed to play the
              explorer John Smith in the project, which has set a July production
              start date in Virginia. Malick will now direct CHE July 2005 instead of
              2004 as previously planned, and figured that project could use more
              preproduction time for its Bolivian shoot.

              Things just get stranger and stranger with Malick. But none of it is a
              suprise!

              Clearly, the man is a perfectionist, and maybe he has a short attention
              span, too (when the going gets tough). It makes me think that the
              completion
              of TTRL as a miracle.

              -qm

              Community email addresses:
              Post message: terrencemalick@yahoogroups.com
              Subscribe: terrencemalick-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

              Shortcut URL to this page:

              _____

              Yahoo! Groups Links

            • William Boodell
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 17, 2004
                Carsten,

                It's possible that Harry Knowles, being based in
                Austin, might actually be on to something here. Is
                this the long-percolating project that Malick had
                planned where he actually shows the beginning of life
                on earth? Or perhaps he will meld that into this
                project? Interesting. Malick could shoot the phone
                book for all I care, just make a movie, Sir! The film
                world needs you!

                Peace,
                Bill

                http://mail.yahoo.com