Re: TTRL edited TV version?

  • jasper_burrows
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 2, 2003
      --- In terrencemalick@yahoogroups.com, Rochelle <cinesin2000@y...>
      wrote:
      > I friend of mine from the U.S recently came over here
      > for a holiday.
      >
      > We were discussing the TTRL and he told me that when
      > he saw it on TV he swears that the opening shot/scene
      > was of soldier/s in the grass and mentioned a snake.
      >
      > We debated this at great length afterwhich he
      > suggested that he must have seen an edited version for
      > television broadcast.
      >
      > Now, I find this rather odd that the film would begin
      > this way but he is pretty switched on, works as a
      > composer/orchestrator in Hollywood, and has a good
      > memory.
      >
      > Has anyone else seen this supposed 'edited for TV'
      > version? Additionally, does anyone recall a scene with
      > a snake in it?
      >
      > Cheers
      > Rochelle

      Hi Rochelle,

      The snake comes in the scene when Charlie Company first attack the
      hill and Whyte is killed (just before the struggling chick in the
      dirt). Bizarre that the film would start there, I must say.

      OTT:.. and perhaps a bit behind the times, but what are people's
      thoughts on Windtalkers? I had to watch it last night as my students
      have written on it, and I could not believe how bad it was. I've been
      reluctant to rave about John Woo as a director (as many of the
      popular film magazine reviewers tend to) and now it's confirmed in my
      mind - he has no 'ear' for a script. It's a plodding, predicatble
      film, supposedly enlivened by 'traditional' Woo action. I couldn't
      care a fig for any of characters. And how strange is it that the
      Japanese soldiers always came in threes?

      Windtalkers is a horrible missed opportunity in a way; an intriguing
      story that's turned into a well-chewed formula piece, complete with
      embittered sarge with redneck and Greek guy in tow.

      I've watched every major Hollywood war film of the past 5 years in
      the past two weeks, and now I'm the one with the perforated ear drum.

      cheers all
      hooray for che!
      ian
    • filmjunkiesnet
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 2, 2003
        i hate john woo as a director. i respect his acrobatic
        choreographing, but his over-stylized films with no substance are
        just pretentious shlop to me. STOP IT WITH THE DOVES, WOULD YOU
        JOHN!?

        :)

        brian

        --- In terrencemalick@yahoogroups.com, "jasper_burrows" <ianr@b...>

      • cine-sin
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 6, 2003
          Hi

          Thanks for both replies to the scene in question and as you both
          said - why would the film start there?

          Cheers
          Rochelle