TTRL Director's Cut

  • champion_of_valhalla
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 1, 2003
      Hey all, heard a rumour a while ago that Malick's director's cut for
      The Thin Red Line was about 6 hours long and I was wondering if this
      supposed cut was actually in the works somewhere...I would be the
      happiest guy in the world if it was, btw...:)..
    • Carsten Kurpanek
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 1, 2003
        On www.imdb.com <http://www.imdb.com/> under trivia it says that “[t]he
        original cut of the film was just under 6 hours in length. Over a
        million feet of film was shot.”

        The studio forced Malick to cut this original version down to 2 and a
        half our. Although I would love to see this original cut myself, I don’t
        think that either Malick nor the studio plan to release it. Maybe we
        should start a petition. What do you say? (:

        X Carsten.

        o.com] Im Auftrag von champion_of_valhalla
        Gesendet: Montag, 1. September 2003 11:09
        An: terrencemalick@yahoogroups.com
        Betreff: [terrencemalick] TTRL Director's Cut

        Hey all, heard a rumour a while ago that Malick's director's cut for
        The Thin Red Line was about 6 hours long and I was wondering if this
        supposed cut was actually in the works somewhere...I would be the
        happiest guy in the world if it was, btw...:)..

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=244522.3707890.4968055.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705
        020948:HM/A=1595054/R=0/SIG=124ukap9t/*http:/ashnin.com/clk/muryutaitake
        nattogyo?YH=3707890&yhad=1595054> Click Here!

        <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=244522.3707890.4968055.1261774/D=egrou
        pmail/S=:HM/A=1595054/rand=888981187>

        Community email addresses:
        Post message: terrencemalick@yahoogroups.com
        Subscribe: terrencemalick-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

        Shortcut URL to this page:

      • Imran Rahaman
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 1, 2003
          Let me be the first to sign!..:)..
          I think there's enough people out there who want to see this that they could
          put out a dvd...I was pretty disappointed to find absolutely nothing on the
          Fox War Film Classics TTRL dvd...not even a trailer or preview...is there
          any other that I'm not aware of?..

          >From: "Carsten Kurpanek" <Q-Panic@...>
          >To: <terrencemalick@yahoogroups.com>
          >Subject: AW: [terrencemalick] TTRL Director's Cut
          >Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2003 11:44:06 +0200
          >
          >On www.imdb.com <http://www.imdb.com/> under trivia it says that �[t]he
          >original cut of the film was just under 6 hours in length. Over a
          >million feet of film was shot.�
          >
          >The studio forced Malick to cut this original version down to 2 and a
          >half our. Although I would love to see this original cut myself, I don�t
          >think that either Malick nor the studio plan to release it. Maybe we
          >should start a petition. What do you say? (:
          >
          >X Carsten.
          >

          >-----Urspr�ngliche Nachricht-----
          >Von:
          >sentto-407892-4624-1062407414-Q-Panic=web.de@...

        • William Boodell
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 1, 2003
            Hmmm. Not sure if yours has the Melanesian songs
            feature. On my disc there is a listing of about 10-12
            songs or so, and then a trailer. Slim pickens! But
            then, Malick's discs don't tend to carry much extra
            weight. Perhaps the studio doesn't want to spend any
            more money on $60 million art-films! :) Too bad for
            us. I just hope Malick launches =Che.= He would do
            an excellent job with that material. It'd be
            interesting to see how he balances historical fact
            with his allegorical, lyrical storytelling style.

            Best,
            Bill

            --- Imran Rahaman <manoflamancha81@...> wrote:
            > Let me be the first to sign!..:)..
            > I think there's enough people out there who want to
            > see this that they could
            > put out a dvd...I was pretty disappointed to find
            > absolutely nothing on the
            > Fox War Film Classics TTRL dvd...not even a trailer
            > or preview...is there
            > any other that I'm not aware of?..
            >

            > >From: "Carsten Kurpanek" <Q-Panic@...>
            > >To: <terrencemalick@yahoogroups.com>
            > >Subject: AW: [terrencemalick] TTRL Director's Cut
            > >Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2003 11:44:06 +0200
            > >
            > >On www.imdb.com <http://www.imdb.com/> under
            > trivia it says that �[t]he
            > >original cut of the film was just under 6 hours in
            > length. Over a
            > >million feet of film was shot.�
            > >
            > >The studio forced Malick to cut this original
            > version down to 2 and a
            > >half our. Although I would love to see this
            > original cut myself, I don�t
            > >think that either Malick nor the studio plan to
            > release it. Maybe we
            > >should start a petition. What do you say? (:
            > >
            > >X Carsten.
            > >

            > >-----Urspr�ngliche Nachricht-----
            >
            >sentto-407892-4624-1062407414-Q-Panic=web.de@...

            =====
            Be sure to check out "The Lighthouse," my television film journal on CAN-TV, Channel 19 (Cable), premiering in September. For more info., write
            lighthouseprojections@...

            "In rivers, the water that you touch is the last of what has passed and the first of that which comes; so with present time." - Leonardo da Vinci

            http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
          • QM
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 1, 2003
              Greets all,

              I'd heard about the six hour cut before, but after reading the article
              excerpt below (originally posted March 2002), I suspect the six hour cut is
              a misunderstanding. The article below indicates there was a five hour first
              cut, but there is pretty much *always* a huge first cut. The first cut is
              usually a mess and not suitable for viewing as a film in itself; it's just a
              place to start from in shaping the actual film. That's pretty
              disappointing, I know, but it makes sense. I wish that the article gave more
              information about how much Malick was involved in the selection of scenes
              .... I am still blown away by the fact that Malick never watched the
              Dailies. I mean, how could he film for three or more months and not want a
              visual tracking of what he was capturing? He is such a strange man!

              http://www.editorsguild.com/newsletter/MayJun99/weber_jones.html
              Editors Billy Weber and Leslie Jones talk about TTRL

              (Excerpt of a longer article)
              At the editors' request, the evening revolved around a Q&A session that
              concentrated largely on 'The Thin Red Line'. The audience enjoyed the
              opportunity to learn of Billy's experiences working on all three of Malick's
              films: as associate editor on Badlands in 1973, as editor on 'Days of
              Heaven' in 1978, and now as co-editor of 'The Thin Red Line'. In re-uniting
              with Malick, Billy said he "knew much more and could handle the situation
              better. My prior experience and knowledge were also helpful in guiding
              Leslie through the long and difficult process of working with this very
              creative director."

              Because of Malick's unique working style, the editors were faced with an
              unusual set of challenges. Much of the film was unscripted. At times three
              units were shooting at different locations around Australia and, though he
              was concerned about what was being captured, the director did not screen the
              dailies. Leslie started the picture without Billy, who came on after
              principle photography wrapped. She met Malick only once prior to the shoot,
              briefly in L.A., and though she was on location for five months, Leslie
              rarely saw him during production. "Terry and I rarely talked about the
              film," she commented. "He left me to my own devices. Eventually I came back
              with a five-hour first cut."

              "Even that five-hour version was very powerful, and you could see it was a
              very moving story back then," Billy added.

              The editing team spent 13 months in post, and the mix lasted four months.
              There were no previews, but there were several in-house screenings; the
              largest of which, attended by 15 people, was for marketing executives.
              Malick had final cut. Although the editors said he had specific ideas he
              wanted to try, the director was also willing to explore and experiment with
              the material. His creative process demanded time and patience, and though
              occasionally frustrating, was often rewarding as well.

              In working with the footage, the editors found the blend of seasoned and
              less-experienced actors to be a particular challenge. The many cameos were
              another difficult element, as were the film's voice-overs, which were not
              initially in the script. Making room for them was tricky, and most were
              recorded directly into the Avid. Some of that scratch track remained in the
              final film, according to Billy. "Terry is not really fond of dialogue, and
              shoots takes with and without it," he said. Leslie added, "Terry lost
              dialogue wherever possible. The final film varied greatly from the original
              concept."
            • William Boodell
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 1, 2003
                QM,
                Thanks much for posting that editor article. 13
                months of post is pretty daunting. Those two deserve
                a medal! Fascinating to hear about it. Thanks!
                Bill

                =====
                Be sure to check out "The Lighthouse," my television film journal on CAN-TV, Channel 19 (Cable), premiering in September. For more info., write
                lighthouseprojections@...

                "In rivers, the water that you touch is the last of what has passed and the first of that which comes; so with present time." - Leonardo da Vinci

                http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
              • traders55
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 19, 2003
                  > Hey all, heard a rumour a while ago that Malick's director's
                  > cut for The Thin Red Line was about 6 hours long and I was
                  > wondering if this supposed cut was actually in the works
                  > somewhere...I would be the happiest guy in the world if it
                  > was, btw...:)..

                  I think it would be hard to justify going back and adding more
                  footage to a special edition version of Thin Red Line. You could
                  say it already is a special edition, to begin with.

                  A couple of problems:

                  - Available space on a DVD. As it is, the movie is almost three
                  hours long, and has demanding visuals and sound. To add more
                  footage would mean that these two aspect would have to be
                  compromised to squeeze more data onto the disc, or would require the
                  film to be spread onto two disks, like the special editions of the
                  Lord Of The Rings movies. I wouldn't mind the latter, but would the
                  movie studio go for it?

                  - Re-scoring the movie. If new scenes are added, or existing ones
                  expanded upon, wouldn't significant sections of the movie have to be
                  rescored? As it is the flow of the music is quite beautiful, and a
                  character itself of the film. I don't see how adding in new chunks
                  of movie could be all that easy - wouldn't the flow of the score
                  then be changed?

                  - Extras. Realistically, is Malick really going to add extras, or
                  do a commentary track? Part of why I like this movie is my own
                  reaction and interpretation of it. Hearing someone else's take,
                  especially that of the person responsible for it, could turn me off
                  the movie. And seeing the behind-the-scenes footage might also take
                  away some of the magic. Perhaps this is one movie in particular
                  that should be left just the way it is, in terms of fans not knowing
                  what went on behind the scenes?

                  Having said that, I would like to be able to see some of footage
                  that was cut out. Major parts of the storyline, and characters,
                  were cut out completely. Would a different story have been told if
                  an extra half an hour was included? And supposedly Adrien Brody's
                  character was cut down significantly - what else happened with Fife?