Re: [terrencemalick] OT: Movie Trip

  • Jos Linn
    Message 1 of 193 , Feb 7, 2003
      Dear Friends,

      You know the drill...

      Last Sunday I saw "The Bread, My Sweet", which has been on an extended stay
      here in KC the last few weeks. Evidently this film was made in 2000 but is
      only now getting some play. It is the story of Dominic (played by Scott
      Baio of "Happy Days" fame) and his two brothers (one a playboy, the other
      mentally challenged). They own a bakery below an old Italian couple, who
      have become their surrogate parents. When Bella (the old woman) is
      diagnosed with terminal cancer, Dominic decides to convince her only
      daughter to marry him as a dying wish for Bella. What follows is a very
      enjoyable movie experience. The story is predictable and somewhat
      formulaic, but this does not detract from the film at all--this movie is
      about the performances. Krintin Minter as Lucca (the daughter), John Seitz
      as Massimo (Bella's husband), Shuler Hensley as the challenged brother Pino,
      and Rosemary Prinz as Bella all give good performances. But the great
      surprise here is Scott Baio. Who knew Chachi could act, but he does, and he
      does quite well. Not once did I think I was watching Chachi in this
      movie--he was Dominic and he played him very believeably. See this movie
      for his performance alone. I liked this movie. It is subtler than Greek
      Wedding, but it also is, dare I say, sweeter. And the food in this film
      looks fantastic. Full price admission and an order of bischotti worthy, no
      doubt.

      Next, I saw an advanced screening of "The Life of David Gale" starring Kevin
      Spacey, Laura Linney and Kate Winslett. Now, I do not support the death
      penalty, but while watching this movie, it made me reconsider... for myself
      for sitting through it. This movie, to put it tactfully, SUCKS THAT BLUE
      WHALE'S FATHER!!! (Wayne's World reference). I was SOOOO disappointed in
      this movie. The dialogue was cheesy and horrible, the acting was bad, and
      the direction was frustrating. Even the character names were bad (Kate
      Winslett, the well-respected news reporter whom David Gale will only talk
      to, is named "Bitsy"). And the really disappointing part is that they
      "poorly executed" a subject that is really important and the story, despite
      how they filmed, had a lot of potential. It even has a nice twist in the
      end, although it is about as twisted and surprising as a 12-mile bend on a
      stretch of Kansas highway. DO NOT go see this film. It is a huge
      disappointment and will last in theaters about as long as David Gale does in
      this movie.

      OK, on that light note, until next time...

      Take care, friends,
      Jos

    • Jos Linn
      Message 193 of 193 , May 19, 2003
        And you all thought I was too busy to write something. Well...

        The list has been very silent as of late so I am going to break the silence,
        for now.

        Of course, as anyone who remembers my first few months of postings, would
        there be any place I would have been other than at the local cinema last
        Thursday for the opening of "The Matrix Reloaded"? Uh... no. And, after
        all the hype, all the anticipation, all the expectations, I have to say...
        plug me in, baby! I really liked Reloaded. It is not as surprisingly good
        as the original but that's the thing about expectations. But it surpasses
        the original in many ways. It continues the spiritual undertones in the
        story, and even to a place I did not expect, and makes me hungry for the
        conclusion in November. Plus, it has just about the best F/X this side of
        Skywalker Ranch. In fact, it makes George Lucas look childish in
        comparison. The Burly Brawl, the car chase, and the final showdown scenes
        are top notch and have you mesmerized from roundhouse kick one. A lot of
        critics have disliked the whole rave-in-a-cave Zion sequence but I liked it.
        C'mon guys, the world has been destroyed and overrun by machines, people
        are going to be a bit retro in their look. But the ingenious thing about
        this film is that they made it just vague enough that you have to see it
        several times to catch all that's going on and just clear enough to make you
        HAVE to see the sequel. Marketing 101--give 'em a taste and they'll demand
        more. Anyway, "Reloaded" is great all around and well worth full movie
        price. Note: for anyone who has not seen "The Matrix", you must see it
        before you see "Reloaded" or you will have very little clue as to what is
        going on.

        OK, what else have I seen... I saw "A Mighty Wind" last week. I liked this
        movie as well. Not as edgy as 'Waiting for Guffman" and "Best in Show", but
        the music is great and the performances are spot on. Catherine O'Hara even
        has an outside shot at a supporting actress nomination (if anyone remembers
        by then). It's a toe-tappin' good time. Worth full price.

        After getting caught up in the Matrix phenomenon last week, I rented the
        Japanese anime films "Ghost in the Shell" and "Akira" this weekend. I
        really need to see more of these fillms. Every time I see one, I am so
        impressed by what I see ("Metropolis" is STILL the most visually stunning
        movie I have ever seen). These two have been cited as inspirations for "The
        Matrix" and you can definitely see the influence. Especially in "Ghost in
        the Shell", where exact scenes have been lifted. I liked both of these
        films, although they never fully give an explanation as to what is going on
        (which is always my favorite part of the story--the "why and how"). I
        recommend these two if you have not seen them. Impressive shows. Well
        worth the rental price.

        Well, that's it for now. I have rented quite a few things over the past few
        months but nothing worth mentioning at this point. Until next time...

        Take care, friends,
        Jos