OT Zentropa

  • ellis@nternet.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2002
      OT

      > Marc wrote:
      >
      > "Zentropa" is my other favorite. Lots of people have seen it.
      > > I think it is a masterpiece. The reviews I've read do not do it
      > > justice. This is a movie about whether or not the human race is
      > worth
      > > saving. And the protagonist concludes it is not. That's my take on
      > it.
      >
      > Angela writes:
      >
      > My video guide (by Mick Martin and Marsha Porter, whoever they are--I
      > got the book at a thrift store, but hey, it gives Badlands 4 stars
      > and Days of Heaven 4 1/2 stars, so it can't be all bad) gives
      > *Zentropa* 3 stars out of 5, and contains this entry: "This dream-
      > state surreal odyssey, whose chief attribute is style, follows a
      > young man into a new job as a railway conductor in Germany following
      > WWII. Often enigmatic and challenging, this Danish film uses the
      > railway as a complex metaphor for the emerging of Europe after the
      > war. Stunning photography, process shots, computer-generated graphics
      > and startling imagery abound."

      The critics missed the point in this one-as usual. The greatness of "It
      Came from Outer Space" escapes them to this day.

      Zentropa's metaphor of passengers on the train could be Post-War Europe,
      as that critic wrote, but why blow it up then? Post-war Europe had just
      defeated Nazi Germany. That should be grounds for optimism.

      This director had more on his mind than Post-War Europe. In my view.
      Zentropa's hapless protagonist just got fed up with the human race.

      Magnificent flick. I was transfixed.

      Marc Ellis Attorney
      ellis@...
      504-813-6724