Possible influences

  • gid tanner
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2002
      On the subject of possible influences on Malick, I
      recently saw Monicelli's 1963 film I COMPAGNI (The
      Organizer)and was struck by how similar the film's
      beginning was to the beginning of DAYS OF HEAVEN. The
      film is about striking textile workers in Turino,
      Italy in the 1890s. It begins by showing closeups of
      old photographs of factory workers, panning in slowly
      on some, just like in DoH. Also as in DoH, actual
      photos of cast members disguised as vintage photos are
      mixed into the montage. The factory interior scene
      that follows, with the banging machinery and almost
      inaudible dialogue, is also very reminiscent of the
      opening scene of DoH. After this, the striking
      similarities end.

      Joe