The Straight Story

  • DionySuS .
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 4, 2002
      Hey all,

      I saw 'The Straight Story' for the first time a few days ago. I thought it
      was fantastic. It had a kind of Malick feel to it. Very slow placed, not
      much dialogue. Has anybody else seen it and what are their thoughts on it?

    • Angela Havel
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 4, 2002
        Hi:
        Loved it too. If you do a search of the archives you'll find a little about it here...
        According to reports (just read a BBC article) Richard Farnsworth, the lead in The Straight Story, died in October of 2000 from a self-inflicted gunshot wound. He had terminal cancer and was in a lot of pain, even while filming The Straight Story. He was the oldest actor to be nominated for an Academy Award, for that film. What a great little gem of a film to end his career on. Also enjoyed seeing Lynch stop being so weird for a little while and get more down-to-earth. He has real soul, that man. Although I appreciate his other work, for awhile there I was wondering if he was in directing just to see how "out there" he could be...style over substance.

        I don't think this will spoil the film for anyone who hasn't seen it, but if you're picky about such things, quit reading...
        *
        *
        *
        I especially liked the final scene in TSS where Harry Dean Stanton's character reacts not at all to his brother coming all that way to see him. It seemed like it wasn't acting, which made it great. I know people like him.
        Angela
        "DionySuS ." <divinesparkle@...> wrote: Hey all,

        I saw 'The Straight Story' for the first time a few days ago. I thought it
        was fantastic. It had a kind of Malick feel to it. Very slow placed, not
        much dialogue. Has anybody else seen it and what are their thoughts on it?

        Shortcut URL to this page:

      • William Boodell
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 5, 2002
          DionySuS,
          I think -The Straight Story- is a true needle in a
          haystack. Who would have though Disney would have the
          insight to distribute it. On top of that, despite
          what many may think, I believe it's one of Lynch's
          most Lynchian efforts. The pacing and the concerns
          seem very David Lynch to me, in spite of a lack of all
          the usual surreal devices he loves; and what a title!
          How perfect! I love the scene where his hat blows
          away. Getting off that tractor is such a chore each
          time, but he just does it because he has to. Who
          would've thought you'd root for an old guy getting
          back on a tractor?? It's a beautifully complex film
          in all its simplicity.
          Take 'er easy,
          Bill

          --- "DionySuS ." <divinesparkle@...> wrote:
          > Hey all,
          >
          > I saw 'The Straight Story' for the first time a few
          > days ago. I thought it
          > was fantastic. It had a kind of Malick feel to it.
          > Very slow placed, not
          > much dialogue. Has anybody else seen it and what are
          > their thoughts on it?

          > Join the world�s largest e-mail service with MSN
          > Hotmail.
          > http://www.hotmail.com
          >

          > Community email addresses:
          > Post message: terrencemalick@yahoogroups.com
          > Subscribe:
          > terrencemalick-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
          > Unsubscribe:
          >
          > Shortcut URL to this page:

          > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          =====
          ----
          Steven Spielberg in the New York Times...
          "Frankly, I don't think that `Jaws' would do as well today as it did in 1975," Mr. Spielberg said, "because people would not wait so long to see the shark. Or they'd say, there's too much time between the first attack and the second attack. Which is too bad. We have an audience now that isn't patient with us."
          Mr. Spielberg smiled and shrugged.
          "They've been taught, by people like me, to be impatient with people like me," he said.

          http://health.yahoo.com