Re: Favorite DOH moments...please read this, Dionysus

  • anghave
    Message 1 of 23 , Jul 1, 2002
      --- In terrencemalick@y..., "DionySuS ." <divinesparkle@h...> wrote:
      > Hi Angela,
      >
      > Thanks for the tip, I listend to a 1 min sample off Amazon and its
      very
      > similar! It was good, but I kept expecting it to change to the
      exact
      > Morricone version so it was kind of frustrating too hehehe :)

      Now that Marc's mentioned Morricone's style being very much
      influenced by Italian Baroque, I'm going to have look up that music
      too...

      > Have you seen the DOH trailer? The same piece of music is in that
      which
      > reallllllllly makes the trailer. I've copied it off the DVD to my
      hard
      > drive. Its 30mb if your interested. Would take a while to send
      though!
      > hehehe.

      No, I've never seen the trailer. I'd love it, if you want to send
      it...if you have the time/inclination.

      > I'm glad you enjoyed the pics!

      The shot of Linda and Abby in the grass with the three figures of men
      in the far distance is my new wallpaper...I used the "stretch"
      feature on it and it looks great! Thanks again...

      Oh, and I thought of another favorite moment (actually a whole
      sequence) from DoH...it's when Bill returns to the farm in his
      sidecar-mobile and unbeknownest to her, watches Abby dancing with
      this longing look (we see his face reflected in a window pane), then
      she realizes he's there, turns off the Victrola and approaches Bill
      silently, kind of playing with her hair and smiling, and just looks
      at him. The genius of it is, there's no words...if they'd said
      something, it would have ruined it. The music in that scene
      also "makes" the scene....that slow solo guitar motif. Come to think
      of it, I don't remember where that cue is on the soundtrack, or is it
      even on there?

      Do you live in Australia, Paul? Thought your QLD reference earlier
      was to Queensland.

> [...]
      this,
      > >Dionysus
      > >Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2002 07:46:41 -0000
      > >

      > >(me sighing)...beautiful...thank you! The black bars don't
      matter....

      > >Yes, of course, the MUSIC..it's also the MUSIC that makes that
      scene!
      > >I was also very disappointed when I got the DoH soundtrack and that
      > >exquisite motif wasn't on it! However, I discovered a piece by Arvo
      > >Part (who composed a piece for TTRL) that kind of evokes that same
      > >motif (Rochelle calls them "cues", small bits of film music that
      > >aren't part of a larger piece). It's called "Summa" and can be
      found
      > >on his CD "Sanctuary". (and you can hear a sample of it at Barnes
      and
      > >Noble or Amazon...) Although it's a bit "busier" than the Morricone
      > >cue, it's in the same key I believe, and is quite breathtaking.
      > >Listening to it is like being in that scene for a full five minutes
      > >(I see Linda and Abby and the birds whenever I hear it...just put
      it
      > >in my CD player right now!)
      > >
      > >By the way, as I'm sure you know, the bird scene music is also used
      > >when Bill and Abby discuss her final decision of whether or not to
      > >accept the Farmer's marriage proposal, comes right after Bill tells
      > >her "I mean, I hate it, to see you out there, them lookin' at your
      > >ass like you're a whore....I hate it" and we see the cigarette
      smoke
      > >from Bill's exhaled breath travel across the frame, across Abby's
      > >field of vision, she's shifting her eyes back and forth in
      > >indecision. The cue appears again after the fire, when the Farmer
      is
      > >riding his horse across the blackened field, and a coyote runs
      across
      > >his path.
      > >
      > >Anyway, you made my morning! Thanks, Paul...hope you can check out
      > >the Arvo Part piece and maybe hear what I hear in it.
      > >
      > >Anyone in the know here about getting hold of a cue that doesn't
      > >appear on a soundtrack (besides taping it off the film itself). Or
      is
      > >there any other piece by Morricone that contains that cue or
      > >something very much like the one we're talking about? Marc
      mentioned
      > >that Morricone's basically been rewriting the DoH soundtrack for
      all
      > >the films he does...it's had to have turned up somewhere in those
      > >soundtracks, surely! Rochelle, do you know?
      > >
      > >Angela

      > >captured
      > >also
      > >board....

      > >of
      > >intent
      > >these
      > >but

      > >that
      > >the

      > > > Send and receive Hotmail on your mobile device:

      http://messenger.msn.com
    • DionySuS .
      Message 2 of 23 , Jul 1, 2002
        Hi Angela,

        How will I send the trailer? We would need to do it through ICQ or mIRC
        (chat programs) as my email has a limit of 1mb attachments.

        From memory of the music piece you are talking about is 'The Return' its on
        both soundtracks (LP and CD).

        Yeah, I'm in Australia! Melbourne to be precise.

        Paul

      • anghave
        Message 3 of 23 , Jul 1, 2002
          Paul:

          I've never really used those chat programs (tried IRC once but never
          kept on with it), how hard it would be for me to set up the IRC deal
          on my end?

          Thanks for jogging my memory on "The Return"...you're right, I'm sure.

          Angela

          --- In terrencemalick@y..., "DionySuS ." <divinesparkle@h...> wrote:
          > Hi Angela,
          >
          > How will I send the trailer? We would need to do it through ICQ or
          mIRC
          > (chat programs) as my email has a limit of 1mb attachments.
          >
          > From memory of the music piece you are talking about is 'The
          Return' its on
> [...]
          > >across

          > >is
          > >mentioned
          > >all

          Dionysus, if
          > >you
          > >still of
          > >about to

          > >kind
          > >off the
          > >the
          > >knew
          > >earth
          > >ought
          > >goosebumps,

          > >in
          > >crop.
          > >the
          > >music
          > >in
          This
          > >it's

          > > > Chat with friends online, try MSN Messenger:

          http://mobile.msn.com
        • DionySuS .
          Message 4 of 23 , Jul 1, 2002
            Hi Angela,

            Its pretty basic, you just download it from:

            http://www.mirc.com/get.html

            Once you have installed it you just type in a nickname and select a server
            and connect. We would have to organise a time and server to meet on though.

            Paul

          • Rochelle
            Message 5 of 23 , Jul 1, 2002
              Angela...there are three members of this list that
              live in Melbourne, Australia. Pretty neat!! (there go
              two words my English teacher forbade us to use...).

              Paul...do you still have a pioneer player? Is it the
              same model as mine or have you since upgraded? I'm
              curious about this frame feature. I used some software
              from the shop for my thesis and it would be great to
              know if I didn't have to go through the hassle. Can
              you ICQ me the trailer when you get it. Email me first
              since I never use ICQ. Cheers.

              Cheers
              Rochelle

              http://www.sold.com.au - SOLD.com.au
              - Find yourself a bargain!
            • DionySuS .
              Message 6 of 23 , Jul 1, 2002
                Hi Rochelle,

                I use a DVD player on my computer. I have a DVD Rom in my computer - like a
                burner.

                I'll ICQ it but it'll take a while :)

                Paul

              • ptonguette@aol.com
                Message 7 of 23 , Jul 1, 2002
                  In a message dated 6/28/02 5:55:01 PM, larosiana@... writes:

                  >This film is filled with so many brief moments and vignettes that
                  >have incredible evocative power. One of my favorite occurs in the
                  >scene where the priest is giving a benediction for the new crop.
                  >The Farmer, overseers, and workers are standing in the field
                  >with their heads bowed. Nothing is heard but the sound of the
                  >priest's voice. There is a brief moment where the theme music
                  >begins to play and we see Linda (Linda Manz) looking around in
                  >what seems to be bewilderment or frightened surprise. This
                  >moment always "gives me goosepimples," as she would say.
                  >What it seems to suggest is almost beyond words. To me, it's
                  >as if she gets a glimpse of a truth about human existence, a
                  >truth both frightening and sublime.

                  A great moment.

                  > What are your favorite DOH moments?

                  Didn't Jonathan Rosenbaum once write that a friend of his once said the early
                  shot in DoH of a train going over a bridge was the reason s/he loved cinema?
                  I hafta say I agree.

                  Peter