Handy tip to avoid spam

  • anghave
    Message 1 of 3 , May 3, 2002
      I get more Spam than I want, some of it I know where it comes from,
      some of it I don't. I got this from Emazing Internet Tips; thought
      some may appreciate it:

      A Spam Suggestion

      One place to pick up a lot of unwanted spam is in a newsgroup.
      Therefore, when you participate in a newsgroup, you should mask your
      e-mail address. For example, if your e-mail address is
      jane@..., enter it in the newsgroup as
      jane@delete_wherever.com.

      With your e-mail address entered this way, people who need to send
      you e-mail can see that they have to delete the "delete_" party of
      the address. Computer programs that troll for e-mail addresses aren't
      that smart.

      Note from Angela: I believe if you go into Edit on your Preferences
      for your membership at YahooGroups, you can change your e-mail
      address there.
    • Angela Havel
      Message 2 of 3 , May 3, 2002
        Woops...on that previous message, the two e-mail
        addresses got shortened and deleted, so here's how it
        should read:

        To avoid spammers getting your e-mail from Yahoo
        Groups and sending you crap, instead of listing your
        e-mail address on your membership page as

        jane@...

        list it as jane@delete_wherever.com

        Spammers will be foiled!

        http://health.yahoo.com
      • anghave
        Message 3 of 3 , May 3, 2002
          Good grief...this ain't working!!!!

          Okay, I'll have to fool the system.

          > To avoid unwanted spammers getting your address from Yahoo Groups,
          instead of listing your e-mail address on your membership page as

          > jane("at" symbol)wherever.com
          >
          > list it as jane("at" symbol)delete_wherever.com
          >

          > Spammers will be foiled!

          If this doesn't make sense, I give up...go to Emazing.com and
          see "Internet Tip of the Day" regarding spam for yourself!