Re: [terrencemalick] OT: films of 1994, 1999 and 2000

  • Queen Mag
    Message 1 of 31 , Dec 29, 2000
      Christina wrote:

      >>>Jay Carr of the Boston Globe and Variety were iffy about Pretty Horses, so
      if I see it, it'll have to be at a matinee. I'm looking forward to
      Traffic, too, though Soderbergh's latest--Out of Sight and Erin
      Brockovich--haven't produce that feeling of "wow!" in me.

      What did you think of The Limey? I adored Out of Sight, but can't bring myself
      to watch Erin Brokovich. The Limey I also liked, though I haven't seen Terrence
      Stamp's earlier work (or Peter Fonda's) that the film references. There is a
      good article about Soderbergh in last week's New York Times (I think). About
      isolation and falling back on oneself being the common thread running through
      his disparate works (Traffic included). very nice.

      -m
    • Chris Lui
      Message 31 of 31 , Jan 4, 2001
        --- In terrencemalick@egroups.com, "Jos Linn" <jos_linn@h...> wrote:
        > I have liked every Sodergergh film I have seen. I liked Erin
        Brokovich
        > (although I don't see it as Best Picture material like I have
        heard)

        Sorry! I know I've been hard on poor li'l ol' Erin. The film just did
        not work for me in so many ways, but I respect that it worked for you
        and for other people on this list, no doubt.

        and Out
        > of Sight (If it's got Steve Zahn, at least you know his scenes will
        be good)

        I love Steve Zahn! Have you seen Happy, Texas? He plays Wayne Wayne
        Wayne, Junior.

        > and I loved The Limey. I loved how that was filmed between
        flashback and
        > present without much deliniation (sp) between the two. Kind of how
        the mind
        > itself works. Plus, it's got Terrence Stamp. General Zod rules!

        Good observation about the movement between present and past in The
        Limey, Jos! I thought that was an interesting part of the film.

        General Zod? Who he?

        Not knowing,
        CL