I: Christina's kind welcome and a real interesting article in The Nation re: TTRL

  • Warren Blumberg
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 1, 2000

      Sent: Saturday, July 01, 2000 2:58 PM
      Subject: re: Christina's kind welcome and a real interesting article in The Nation

      Ciao a tutti,
         In response to Christina's kind welcome message to me, my views on Badlands and Days of Heaven are simple, if not simplistic. Days of Heaven is one of my favorite works of art. Full stop. It seems to me in retrospect that Badlands is essentially a rough draft of DOH (star-crossed lovers on the run, microphotography of insects, the fire, the betrayal), and is interesting if for no other reason. On it's own terms, it strikes me as a seriously flawed work. One reason for that may be that Malick had to make Badlands before he could make DOH. Haven't seen The Thin Red Line, but here's an interesting article for all of you who have. In a recent (last 2-3 months) issue of The Nation one of the lesser-known actors in TTRL (can't remember the name off hand, but he's African-American as I recall) wrote a short piece in which he describes his experience with the project. The stunner is this: he claims that the original cut ran to 5 hours and the lesser-knowns had the principal parts. The studio rejected Malick's cut and forced him to edit it down to its present length and to bolster the roles of the stars. This might account for the criticism that I've heard repeatedly from the press and from friends whose tastes I trust concerning the the randomness of the film's narrative flow. If anyone is interested, I can track the article down (got it somewhere in my archives) and post the issue number and date. Please do this soon, as I'm leaving town in the next few days and will be gone for the rest of the summer.
      Does anyone remember the name of Malick's thesis film ? I seem to remember that it was called something like "Miller's Crossing" or "Miller Flats". In fact, when the Coen Bros. came out with "Miller's Crossing" it struck a chord. The info is in one of the big Film Encyclopedias.
      Ah yes, Welles. One the great geniuses. A real must is a documentary on the making of Citizen Kane and the ensuing disaster. Can't remember the title, but it's in English and is probably an American production. One of the state-run public television stations ran a whole night of Welles about a year ago. 7 or 8 hours with the Kane documentary, Citizen Kane, clips from his other films, interviews, and assorted short docus by Welles hisself. This is public television !! Just one of the reasons why I choose to live in Europe.
      I'm not crazy about Kubrick, but yes The Killing is killer (idem Barry Lyndon and Strangelove).
      As for my life (no, it's not too personal), yes in many ways it is wonderful. The world is a miserable and a marvelous place, and while I find the whole enterprise of life utterly baffling, its mysteries enchant me.
      Favorite quotes to finish: "The best revenge is living well." "If I had it to do over again, I would shoot myself"
      Warren

    • Warren Blumberg
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 1, 2000

        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 3, 2000
          On Sat, 1 Jul 2000, Warren Blumberg wrote:

          > Ciao a tutti,
          > Badlands and Days of Heaven are simple, if not simplistic. Days of
          > Heaven is one of my favorite works of art. Full stop.

          Hello again, Warren,

          That's fantastic that Days has brought you happiness and wonder. Perhaps
          you could share a few thoughts on Days with us now and then, as to why
          it's such a wonderful work of art. The lovely thing about the discussions
          on this list is that I have the opportunity to learn.

          It seems to me
          > in retrospect that Badlands is essentially a rough draft of DOH
          > (star-crossed lovers on the run, microphotography of insects, the
          > fire, the betrayal), and is interesting if for no other reason. On
          > it's own terms, it strikes me as a seriously flawed work.

          Thanks for being so honest. Could you say a few words on why Badlands is
          flawed?

          Haven't seen The Thin Red Line, but here's an interesting article
          > for all of you who have. In a recent (last 2-3 months) issue of The
          > Nation one of the lesser-known actors in TTRL (can't remember the name
          > off hand, but he's African-American as I recall) wrote a short piece
          > in which he describes his experience with the project.

          I don't recall any African-American actors in TTRL. Some of the actors
          were Melanesian, weren't they?

          The stunner is
          > this: he claims that the original cut ran to 5 hours and the
          > lesser-knowns had the principal parts. The studio rejected Malick's
          > cut and forced him to edit it down to its present length and to
          > bolster the roles of the stars. This might account for the criticism
          > that I've heard repeatedly from the press and from friends whose
          > tastes I trust concerning the the randomness of the film's narrative
          > flow. If anyone is interested, I can track the article down (got it
          > somewhere in my archives) and post the issue number and date. Please
          > do this soon, as I'm leaving town in the next few days and will be
          > gone for the rest of the summer.

          Oh yes, please do cite the article. I'm always interested in reading
          articles on TTRL. There are other sources that state that the original cut
          of the film was 6 hours.

          > Ah yes, Welles. One the great geniuses. A real must is a documentary
          > on the making of Citizen Kane and the ensuing disaster.

          Hopefully my local vid store carries it. Thanks for mentioning it. I'd
          love to chat with you and everyone on this list about Welles after I
          finish watching Citizen Kane.

          As for my life (no, it's not too personal),
          > yes in many ways it is wonderful. The world is a miserable and a
          > marvelous place, and while I find the whole enterprise of life utterly
          > baffling, its mysteries enchant me.

          And you have great public television, instead of fundraising 24-7.

          Favorite quotes to finish: "The
          > best revenge is living well." "If I had it to do over again, I would
          > shoot myself"

          Ooh, what a fun thread!

          I just watched The Maltese Falcon (for the third or fourth time) last
          night. Some of my favourite quotes stem from that great film: "When you're
          slapped, you'll take it and like it." "The cheaper the crook, the gaudier
          the patter." Both from hard-boiled Sam Spade, played by the immortal
          Bogart.

          Anyone else got favourite movie quotes?

          Have a great day,
          Christina