8424Re: [terrencemalick] Malick sightings

  • Angela Havel
    May 19, 2012
      Thanks for posting...the comments below clip are humorous..."HE DOES EXIST!!!"

      I finally saw Tree of Life.

      The mom floating was trippy.

      Brad Pitt's face is too kindly-looking to convincingly play a mean father.

      I related to the part where the family relaxes when the dad leaves for his trip...my father was much harsher than Malick's appeared to be, though. (Isn't it generally agreed this film is about Malick's own family?)

      Liked the originality of presentation, though a small part of me agrees withChristopher Plummer here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xw08GQw0hBI

      However, Malick doesn't "need a writer." He's a great writer himself, evidenced by his characterizations, dialogue, detailed descriptions, and general subtlety that marks a good writer in the two scripts I've read, Badlands and Days of Heaven.Starting with The Thin Red Line, he favors an Eastern style of story-telling, where "external" plot is not as important as "internal" plot (see http://www.svic.net/pearl/plot.html,) and there is no clearly-delineated exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, or denouement. Not necessarily a bad thing, but unsettling to those who cannot forego the Western-style "external" plot.

      I appreciate Malick thumbing his nose at the conventions of Western story-telling, yet I like his first two films, the two that display more conventional story lines, better than his later films. Not sure what that means.