Re: Help

  • Steven Pyott
    Message 1 of 22 , May 29, 2005
      Re: Help
      Thanks for that, Al.

      Welcome to the world of tenor guitars!  This is the eternal question!  The short answer is that there is no such thing as a 'correct' tuning.  The conventional tuning for a tenor guitar is usually considered to be the same as that of a tenor banjo - CGDA.  This tuning suits players who are doubling on tenor guitar from tenor banjo or musicians who can play instruments tuned in fifths like mandolin family players.

      Another alternative fifths tuning is GDAE, sometimes called Irish tuning, and it can be used for the tenor banjo and/or tenor guitar with the appropriately heavier gauge strings and, as the name suggests, it is associated with Irish music to fit in with GDAE fiddle tuning.  This would also suit mandolin/octave mandolin players.  Many players regard the fifths tuning as the essence of tenor guitar playing

      There is also another re-entrant tuning CGDA tuning developed for the Eddie Freeman Special guitar designed in the 1930s by Eddie Freeman based on Maccaferri guitar design principles and manufactured by Selmer in Paris.  The scale length on this guitar was similar to that of a six string guitar and Eddie was trying to get a six string guitar sonority from a four stringed instrument tuned CGDA so that tenor banjo players like him could double on a guitar like instrument without learning a new instrument.  The string gauges for this tuning would be C - 0.032, G - 0.020, D - 0.028, A - 0.018.  This tuning has a wonderful warm sound - I have an Eddie Freeman Special replica.

      However, guitar tuning can  also happily be used - DGBE - it is sometimes called Chicago or 'modern' tuning when used on tenor guitars -  if players are more familiar with six string guitar tuning or ukelele family instruments that also use this fourths-based tuning, particularly the baritone uke.  It is also possible to use plectrum banjo/guitar tuning CGBD if you are familiar with that, as well a whole plethora of other tunings - bouzouki, various open tunings such as CGCG, DADA etc etc.

      The key is to use the correct string gauges for the particular tuning.  The gauges we recommend are not gospel and can be modified +/- 0.001-2 so 0.032 is fine for the C.  These gauges should should work with both CGDA and DGBE tuning but a heavier gauge E string might be better.  The recommendation for the A string to be 0.010 (or sometimes even 0.09) in CGDA tuning is so that it can withstand the string tension to get up to correct pitch.  This is less critical for DGBE tuning.

      We regularly discuss tenor guitar tuning on our discussion group, the Tenor Guitar Forum and we have hours of endless fun with it!  By the way, we have many members who GCEA tuning but the correct string gauges much be used.  I suggest you join the TGR group and do a search for the postings on this tuning because I can't really recommend anything suitable because I don't use it myself.

      Cheers,

      Steve

      After 40 years of strumming my two tenors and a baritone uke - a Regal round hole and a HArmony note hole - I'm trying to get serious about learning to play so I can fit in with one of the local astronaut " folk" bands.   Here's a little background before I ask my question.

      No I've never taken lessons; I don't read music; I play by "ear"; I taught myself the chords; both of my tenors are steel strings.  I read on line that I should use .036, .024, .016, & .010 acoustic stings.  I have always had trouble tuning my instruments I just keep at it until the sound is "right".  Mainly I tune them to sound like the bottom four strings on a regular 6 string guitar.

      Question: What is the correct tuning: DGBE? GCEA? What?

       I tried both of these and they sounded terrible, but that could be because my strings are steel and the top string is .032 instead of .036, and the bottom string is .012 instead of .010.

      Thanks for your help.

      Al Malpass
      Houston, TX
      281.286.8531

      --

      Steven Pyott B.Sc., M.Sc., CText. A.T.I., Grad.Cert.Ed., Adv.Dip.Ed.
      Consulting Chartered Textile Technologist
      Message 2 of 22 , Jun 6, 2005
        Re: [Tenor Guitar Registry] Re: Help
        We regularly discuss tenor guitar tuning on our discussion group, the Tenor Guitar Forum and we have hours of endless fun with it!

        The only thing we have more fun with is discussing fret marker positions!

        Mainly I tune them to sound like the bottom four strings on a regular 6 string guitar.

        Question: What is the correct tuning: DGBE? GCEA? What?

        I tried both of these and they sounded terrible, but that could be because my strings are steel and the top string is .032 instead of .036, and the bottom string is .012 instead of .010.

        This part I don't understand.  The gauges you mention, while not my ideal choice, are well within the range that DGBE tuning should have worked very well.  With the gauges you mentioned, GCEA may not even be possible, unless you tuned the whole thing an octave lower (which would sound terrible with those gauges).  When you say you tune to the "bottom four strings" of the guitar, do you mean the Lowest sounding 4 strings, or the Highest sounding four strings?  Generally, when people say the "bottom four strings" they are talking about the lowest sounding strings (EADG, from lowest to highest), but sometimes people say the "bottom four strings" and refer to the highest sounding strings since these strings are "on the bottom' when you're holding the guitar.

        Tuning it to the 4 lowest sounding strings (EADG) is tuning it like a bass guitar, which I, on occasion, have done on tenor guitar.  It's pretty good for playing with others, but I've not liked it so much for solo playing.  But if that's what you've been doing, there's nothing wrong with continuing to use this tuning.  It makes for some nice chords.  Check with one of the on line string calculators for the proper string gauges for this tuning if you have questions.

        If you have been tuning it like the lowest sounding strings of the guitar, that would explain why neither DGBE or GCEA sounded right with those gauges of strings, because my guess is that maybe you were trying to tune in the wrong octave.

        If you have been tuning to the 4 highest sounding strings of the guitar (and that's the traditional baritone uke tuning also), then I'm not sure why the DGBE tuning sounded terrible with the gauges you mentioned, because DGBE tuning is the 4 highest sounding strings of the guitar and that's what you would have been using all this time. The gauges you mention should have worked (And if you have a .032w for the low string and .010 for the high, I'm guessing you might have bought a set of D'Addario's tenor guitar strings, which are designed for DGBE tuning).  If you can describe more fully what was terrible sounding about the DGBE tuning when you tried it, (strings too loose, not staying in tune, your regular chords didn't sound right, etc.), or, if you have been tuning to the 4 highest strings of the guitar, how this "new DGBE tuning" sounded different than your usual tuning (a lot higher, a lot lower) maybe we can figure it out.  Also, with the tuning you usually use, what is your fingering for a "C" chord and a "G" or "G7" chord?  Maybe we can figure out what tuning (and octave) you usually use and what gauges of strings would work best for that.
        James
      • Peter P
        Message 3 of 22 , Jun 7, 2005
          --- In tenorguitarregistry@yahoogroups.com, James Paul
          <jaspaul776@h...> wrote:
          > We regularly discuss tenor guitar tuning on our discussion group,
          the Tenor
          > Guitar Forum and we have hours of endless fun with it!
          >
          > The only thing we have more fun with is discussing fret marker
          positions!

          I don't know why, but I am laughing. I wonder if Steve is starting to
          figit?

          Peter P
        • Steven Pyott
          Message 4 of 22 , Jun 7, 2005
            [Tenor Guitar Registry] Re: Help
            Peter, I'm keeping a close eye on it!  Cheers,  Steve

            <jaspaul776@h...> wrote:
            > We regularly discuss tenor guitar tuning on our discussion group,
            the Tenor
            > Guitar Forum and we have hours of endless fun with it!
            >
            > The only thing we have more fun with is discussing fret marker
            positions!

            I don't know why, but I am laughing.  I wonder if Steve is starting to
            figit?

            Peter P

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            --

            Steven Pyott B.Sc., M.Sc., CText. A.T.I., Grad.Cert.Ed., Adv.Dip.Ed.
            Consulting Chartered Textile Technologist
            TCS Textile Consultancy Services
            Website: http://www.tcstextileconsultancy.com
            mailto:tcs@...
          • jack Haskins
            Message 5 of 22 , Aug 2, 2007
              Hi all,
              I am relatively new to this group and also very new to the tenor
              guitar so please have some patience with me. I recently purchased an
              instrument, nothing fancy. It is a 1920's vintage Supertone. I am
              attempting to learn to play it with CGDA tuning. Naturally, the
              strings did not look good so I purchased a new set of La Bella tenor
              guitar strings. When I went to put the number one string on it broke
              before I ever got it up to pitch. My question is, do I understand
              this tuning correctly. Perhaps some one who is familiar with the
              piano can tell me if A in this tuning refers to the A above middle C
              and all the other strings are progressively lower in pitch. It seems
              to take a lot of pressure to get the higest string up to the pitch of
              A above middle C. Could someone please tell me if I am on the right
              track or am I hopelessly lost in the woods.

              Thanks,
              Jack
            • julianvincent
              Message 6 of 22 , Aug 2, 2007
                What's your string length? A .010" string should tune up to A on 23"
                scale, but anything longer will need .090" or even .080". It may well
                be that your 'tenor' guitar is intended for banjo tuning (CGBD) as
                many were. You could also try a re-entrant tuning with the D and A
                strings tuned an octave down.

                Julian Vincent

                --- In tenorguitarregistry@yahoogroups.com, "jack Haskins"
                <flyfisherjac@...> wrote:

                > Hi all,
                > I am relatively new to this group and also very new to the tenor
                > guitar so please have some patience with me. I recently purchased an
                > instrument, nothing fancy. It is a 1920's vintage Supertone. I am
                > attempting to learn to play it with CGDA tuning. Naturally, the
                > strings did not look good so I purchased a new set of La Bella tenor
                > guitar strings. When I went to put the number one string on it broke
                > before I ever got it up to pitch. My question is, do I understand
                > this tuning correctly. Perhaps some one who is familiar with the
                > piano can tell me if A in this tuning refers to the A above middle C
                > and all the other strings are progressively lower in pitch. It seems
                > to take a lot of pressure to get the higest string up to the pitch of
                > A above middle C. Could someone please tell me if I am on the right
                > track or am I hopelessly lost in the woods.
                >
                > Thanks,
                > Jack

              • Frank Geiger
                Message 7 of 22 , Aug 2, 2007
                  Hi Jack
                  I'm also new to the group so we have something in common. But I'm not new to the
                  tuning since I've played a tenor banjo (CGDA) too long to mention (OK, 57 years, I admit it)
                  and play a five string tenor guitar as well now but with an extra low string (FCGDA). Yes,
                  you are correct, the top string on a tenor guitar and a tenor banjo is the A above middle C,
                  usually 440 cps, which is high enough to break under many conditions. Old strings will
                  break but it is probably more common that they break when stress in the string is
                  concentrated by sharp metal in contact with the string - at the keys and tail piece. I'd
                  suggest that you look at the broken string (hopefully, you haven't tossed it) and determine
                  where it broke. If it broke near the keys, (tuning machines), look there and if it broke near
                  the tailpiece look there for something sharp. If you find anything not totally smooth,
                  make it smooth with polishing abrasive which you can put on a thick string and go back
                  over it like a wire saw. Also, make sure you are using the correct gauge string. I use .
                  010-inch diameter strings for the A string but you will also see .011. It pays for tenor
                  players to have a supply of all strings on hand and especially the A, which is usually the
                  first to go. And you don't have to use "tenor guitar" strings, which is a marketing thing.
                  Any name brand string will work if long enough and the right gauge and correct end
                  connection for your instrument - a "loop" or a "ball" (brass eyelet). There are plenty of
                  regular guitar strings and banjo strings that should work at almost any music store. Order
                  them over the web for the best deal, and order them in quantity, because you don't want
                  to play with old strings anyway. This is probably overkill, but I hope it helps. Oh, one
                  more thing, check out my free book (free download), for players of instruments in fifths
                  titled, "Build Any Chord, Anywhere", and the other instruction books under "Files" for this
                  group. You can download mine at my website: www.geigeracousticdevices.biz/

                  Your fellow group newbie,

                  Frank Geiger

                  --- In tenorguitarregistry@yahoogroups.com, "jack Haskins" <flyfisherjac@...> wrote:

                  > Hi all,
                  > I am relatively new to this group and also very new to the tenor
                  > guitar so please have some patience with me. I recently purchased an
                  > instrument, nothing fancy. It is a 1920's vintage Supertone. I am
                  > attempting to learn to play it with CGDA tuning. Naturally, the
                  > strings did not look good so I purchased a new set of La Bella tenor
                  > guitar strings. When I went to put the number one string on it broke
                  > before I ever got it up to pitch. My question is, do I understand
                  > this tuning correctly. Perhaps some one who is familiar with the
                  > piano can tell me if A in this tuning refers to the A above middle C
                  > and all the other strings are progressively lower in pitch. It seems
                  > to take a lot of pressure to get the higest string up to the pitch of
                  > A above middle C. Could someone please tell me if I am on the right
                  > track or am I hopelessly lost in the woods.
                  >
                  > Thanks,
                  > Jack

                • mltovar
                  Message 8 of 22 , Aug 2, 2007
                    Jack, where did the string break at?
                    Marc
                    Layton, UT

                    jack Haskins wrote:

                    > Hi all,
                    > I am relatively new to this group and also very new to the tenor
                    > guitar so please have some patience with me. I recently purchased an
                    > instrument, nothing fancy. It is a 1920's vintage Supertone. I am
                    > attempting to learn to play it with CGDA tuning. Naturally, the
                    > strings did not look good so I purchased a new set of La Bella tenor
                    > guitar strings. When I went to put the number one string on it broke
                    > before I ever got it up to pitch. My question is, do I understand
                    > this tuning correctly. Perhaps some one who is familiar with the
                    > piano can tell me if A in this tuning refers to the A above middle C
                    > and all the other strings are progressively lower in pitch. It seems
                    > to take a lot of pressure to get the higest string up to the pitch of
                    > A above middle C. Could someone please tell me if I am on the right
                    > track or am I hopelessly lost in the woods.
                    >
                    > Thanks,
                    > Jack

                  • stanwltn
                    Message 9 of 22 , Aug 2, 2007
                      one of the things that I know about la bella silver coated tenor
                      strings, besides being one of my favorite's is the 009 string just
                      can't be tuned up to pitch.. I take about 3-4 hrs of streching slowly
                      a bit at a time till I hit pitch.. I busted a few... if you can, just
                      go to the guitar shop and but a single string.. but wait!!! save your
                      old one and see the diffrence.. I swear the la bella is a touch
                      thinner.. but I think they sound so good..
                    • Steven Pyott

                        Message 11 of 22 , Aug 3, 2007
                          Thank you all so much for your help. My A string broke right at the
                          tuner so I will check to see if there is a problem there. I did
                          manage to get the old string back on but will stop at the next music
                          store (in the next town 22 miles away) this evening and purchase
                          several A strings. Frank, I have already down loaded your book and
                          think is a great help. Thanks. When I am finished with this
                          posting I will look at the file about changing the A string. Thanks
                          again for all the advice, I really am enjoying this e-mail group.
                          Jack

                          --- In tenorguitarregistry@yahoogroups.com, Steven Pyott
                          <spyott@...> wrote:

                          > Hi Jack, Yes - you're on the right track. Check out our file on
                          How
                          > To Fit an A string in the Files section. If you can find one, ask
                          > friendly tenor banjo player to help you and we recommend that you
                          buy
                          > single strings from somewhere like Just Strings, rather than tenor
                          > sets, so you can have a few spare A strings (and occasionally D
                          > strings) for the inevitable snapping! You may also have issues
                          with
                          > your nut and sharp edges on your tuner so check those out as well.
                          > They should come to to correct pitch with some patience. Cheers,
                          > Steve
                          >
                          > >Hi all,
                          > >I am relatively new to this group and also very new to the tenor
                          > >guitar so please have some patience with me. I recently purchased
                          an
                          > >instrument, nothing fancy. It is a 1920's vintage Supertone. I am
                          > >attempting to learn to play it with CGDA tuning. Naturally, the
                          > >strings did not look good so I purchased a new set of La Bella
                          tenor
                          > >guitar strings. When I went to put the number one string on it
                          broke
                          > >before I ever got it up to pitch. My question is, do I understand
                          > >this tuning correctly. Perhaps some one who is familiar with the
                          > >piano can tell me if A in this tuning refers to the A above
                          middle C
                          > >and all the other strings are progressively lower in pitch. It
                          seems
                          > >to take a lot of pressure to get the higest string up to the
                          pitch of
                          > >A above middle C. Could someone please tell me if I am on the
                          right
                          > >track or am I hopelessly lost in the woods.
                          > >
                          > >Thanks,
                          > >Jack
                          > >

                          > --
                          > Steven Pyott B.Sc., M.Sc., CText. A.T.I., Grad.Cert.Ed.,
                          Adv.Dip.Ed.
                          > Consulting Chartered Textile Technologist
                          > TCS Textile Consultancy Services
                          > Website: http://www.tcstextileconsultancy.com
                          > mailto:tcs@...

                        • Peter P
                          Message 12 of 22 , Aug 3, 2007
                            Hmmm. .090 would be very thick. I think you mean .009 or .008. The
                            problem here of course is that these are even thinner and therefore
                            not as strong as a .010. Besides that they would 'dig' even deeper
                            into the nut slot where the problem is most of the time. True, they
                            require less tension to get up to tune, but with less tension the
                            volume is reduced defeating some of the advantage of CGDA tuning.

                            My suggestion for A string snaps... lubricate the nut slot(s) with
                            soft pencil graphite (lead) and use a .010 string. Binding in the nut
                            slot is the #1 reason for A string snaps. If it still breaks at the
                            tuner look for a sharp edge there. Also Measure your scale length to
                            make sure you have a tenor guitar and not a plectrum or some other
                            kind of 4 string guitar. The scale length should not exceed ~ 23" or
                            ~ 585 mm.

                            Peter

                            --- In tenorguitarregistry@yahoogroups.com, "julianvincent"

                          • ensjfvv@bath.ac.uk
                            Message 13 of 22 , Aug 3, 2007
                              Agreed - I got my decimal place wrong!
                              But modern A strings, .010", shouldn't break on a 23" scale. I
                              regularly play a tenor banjo and cannot remember when I last had one
                              break when putting it on. It used to be a big problem some years ago.
                              My bet is that the scale length is more than 23". I also agree that
                              .008" or .009" strings are a bit thin, but with experience you learn to
                              play the string more gently and realise that the volume hardly changes
                              but the tone (and penetration of the sound) improve markedly.

                              Julian Vincent

                              Quoting Peter P <TenorGuitar@...>:

                              > Hmmm. .090 would be very thick. I think you mean .009 or .008. The
                              > problem here of course is that these are even thinner and therefore
                              > not as strong as a .010. Besides that they would 'dig' even deeper
                              > into the nut slot where the problem is most of the time. True, they
                              > require less tension to get up to tune, but with less tension the
                              > volume is reduced defeating some of the advantage of CGDA tuning.
                              >
                              > My suggestion for A string snaps... lubricate the nut slot(s) with
                              > soft pencil graphite (lead) and use a .010 string. Binding in the nut
                              > slot is the #1 reason for A string snaps. If it still breaks at the
                              > tuner look for a sharp edge there. Also Measure your scale length to
                              > make sure you have a tenor guitar and not a plectrum or some other
                              > kind of 4 string guitar. The scale length should not exceed ~ 23" or
                              > ~ 585 mm.
                              >
                              > Peter
                              >
                              > --- In tenorguitarregistry@yahoogroups.com, "julianvincent"
                              > <j.f.v.vincent@...> wrote:
                              >>
                              >> What's your string length? A .010" string should tune up to A on 23"
                              >> scale, but anything longer will need .090" or even .080". It may well
                              >> be that your 'tenor' guitar is intended for banjo tuning (CGBD) as
                              >> many were. You could also try a re-entrant tuning with the D and A
                              >> strings tuned an octave down.
                              >>
                              >> Julian Vincent

                            • jack Haskins
                              Message 14 of 22 , Aug 4, 2007
                                Well, that shows how closely I read. I didn't even catch the
                                misplaced decimal, just read it as .009. At any rate, I picked up
                                some .010 strings, D'Addario brand, and this morning successfully
                                installed one. I carefully followed the concise instructions in the
                                file on our web site. I think my problem was probably having the
                                string wrapped over it's self on the tuner. Everything else look
                                OK. I wanted to share that I picked up those strings on my way to
                                the 39th annual Brumley Gospel Sing in Lebanon, Missouri last
                                night. On two evenings this week, we joined a crowd of about 6000
                                people to hear some of the best Southern Gospel singers in the
                                country. If you ever are in the area in August.....anyway that is
                                my recommendation.
                                Thanks again for all the help.

                                --- In tenorguitarregistry@yahoogroups.com, ensjfvv@... wrote:

                                > Agreed - I got my decimal place wrong!
                                > But modern A strings, .010", shouldn't break on a 23" scale. I
                                > regularly play a tenor banjo and cannot remember when I last had
                                one
                                > break when putting it on. It used to be a big problem some years
                                ago.
                                > My bet is that the scale length is more than 23". I also agree
                                that
                                > .008" or .009" strings are a bit thin, but with experience you
                                learn to
                                > play the string more gently and realise that the volume hardly
                                changes
                                > but the tone (and penetration of the sound) improve markedly.
                                >
                                > Julian Vincent
                                >
                                > Quoting Peter P <TenorGuitar@...>:
                                >
                                > > Hmmm. .090 would be very thick. I think you mean .009 or .008.
                                The
                                > > problem here of course is that these are even thinner and
                                therefore
                                > > not as strong as a .010. Besides that they would 'dig' even
                                deeper
                                > > into the nut slot where the problem is most of the time. True,
                                they
                                > > require less tension to get up to tune, but with less tension the
                                > > volume is reduced defeating some of the advantage of CGDA tuning.
                                > >
                                > > My suggestion for A string snaps... lubricate the nut slot(s)
                                with
                                > > soft pencil graphite (lead) and use a .010 string. Binding in
                                the nut
                                > > slot is the #1 reason for A string snaps. If it still breaks at
                                the
                                > > tuner look for a sharp edge there. Also Measure your scale
                                length to
                                > > make sure you have a tenor guitar and not a plectrum or some
                                other
                                > > kind of 4 string guitar. The scale length should not exceed ~
                                23" or
                                > > ~ 585 mm.
                                > >
                                > > Peter
                                > >
                                > > --- In tenorguitarregistry@yahoogroups.com, "julianvincent"
                                > > <j.f.v.vincent@> wrote:
                                > >>
                                > >> What's your string length? A .010" string should tune up to A
                                on 23"
                                > >> scale, but anything longer will need .090" or even .080". It
                                may well
                                > >> be that your 'tenor' guitar is intended for banjo tuning (CGBD)
                                as
                                > >> many were. You could also try a re-entrant tuning with the D
                                and A
                                > >> strings tuned an octave down.
                                > >>
                                > >> Julian Vincent

                              • James Hearon
                                Message 15 of 22 , Aug 5, 2007
                                  Hi,
                                  I've been having some fun playing the Bach Cello Suites on my tenor guitar.
                                  Since I have it tuned CGDA then it works well for the fingering since the
                                  tenor's neck is not too much smaller than a cello's. Only drawback in
                                  reading in bass clef, but that's not too hard.

                                  Makes me think the Bach violin sonatas would work well too for GDAE tuning.

                                  Of course you don't get that sustained sound of a bowed instrument, and the
                                  originals don't hold up to the various transcriptions for classical six
                                  stringed guitar, so I wouldn't "perform" those pieces, but they're great
                                  reading for learning the notes etc. on tenor.

                                  A new home for Mom, no cleanup required. All starts here.
                                • Julian Vincent
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Aug 6, 2007
                                    The violin suites are fine on the tenor, except for the extra long
                                    fingers you need . . .

                                    On 5 Aug 2007, at 20:29, James Hearon wrote:

                                    > Hi,
                                    > I've been having some fun playing the Bach Cello Suites on my tenor
                                    > guitar.
                                    > Since I have it tuned CGDA then it works well for the fingering
                                    > since the
                                    > tenor's neck is not too much smaller than a cello's. Only drawback in
                                    > reading in bass clef, but that's not too hard.
                                    >
                                    > Makes me think the Bach violin sonatas would work well too for GDAE
                                    > tuning.
                                    >
                                    > Of course you don't get that sustained sound of a bowed instrument,
                                    > and the
                                    > originals don't hold up to the various transcriptions for classical
                                    > six
                                    > stringed guitar, so I wouldn't "perform" those pieces, but they're
                                    > great
                                    > reading for learning the notes etc. on tenor.

                                    > A new home for Mom, no cleanup required. All starts here.
                                    > http://www.reallivemoms.com?ocid=TXT_TAGHM&loc=us

                                  • Todd Gardner
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Jun 7, 2017
                                      Hello all

                                      I've been away from the tenor guitar for awhile now back to trying to learn it. There's a song by a band called 18 South, called Angola Way. I think this would be a great song for the tenor, but my music skills are limited. Help with chords anyone?

                                      Thx
                                      Todd
                                    • Andrew Vogt

                                        Message 19 of 22 , Jun 7, 2017
                                          How'z about:
                                          https://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/tab/1682912

                                          Message 20 of 22 , Jun 7, 2017
                                            Probly not a bad song. but not the one I'm looking for

                                            Message 21 of 22 , Jun 8, 2017
                                              This looks/sounds better:
                                              http://http://www.countrytabs.com/tablature/Turnpike_Troubadours/Angola_Chord_65459/

                                              Message 22 of 22 , Jun 8, 2017
                                                18 South has a live version on Youtube or you could go to their Myspace and hear the studio version of Angola Way