Advice on tuning issue GDAE Gold Tone TG-18-SN

  • rowainjones
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 8, 2017
      Hi there

      I have a new(ish) Gold Tone TG-18-SM. Tuned GDAE. Pretty standard set of strings on it guage-wise.

      The DAE strings all behave but...

      If i tune to G string to G it sounds a bit odd in chrds and the notes up the string  - A,B,C are all a bit sharp. If i loosen the string to get those right - the G string played open is a bit flat. The guitar sounds better like that - but i am wondering why the scale does not  work on the G string - and it all sounds a bit odd

      Cheers

    • Sean Ryder

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 8, 2017
          Sounds like you need to get your guitar's intonation adjusted. Most guitar stores can do this for you. Costs in the ballpark of $40-100.

          Rikk

          ---
          Sent from Boxer | http://getboxer.com

          On June 8, 2017 at 2:49:26 PM EDT, owain.oj@... [tenorguitarregistry] <tenorguitarregistry@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

          Hi there

          I have a new(ish) Gold Tone TG-18-SM. Tuned GDAE. Pretty standard set of strings on it guage-wise.

          The DAE strings all behave but...

          If i tune to G string to G it sounds a bit odd in chrds and the notes up the string  - A,B,C are all a bit sharp. If i loosen the string to get those right - the G string played open is a bit flat. The guitar sounds better like that - but i am wondering why the scale does not  work on the G string - and it all sounds a bit odd

          Cheers

        • tenfingertzar
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 12, 2017
          To compensate the bridge for the intonation you want, it must be slightly slanted, with the G string's length a little longer and the E a little shorter. If you have a saddle bridge, it's pretty easy. For the Gold Tone TG-18-SN, not so much. You find the amount of slant by using harmonics at the Gs fifth fret and the Ds 12th fret. Since you can't move your bridge easily, you'll have to futz with the gauge of the G.

          -EZ
        • rowainjones
          Message 5 of 6 , Jun 12, 2017
            Thanks EZ - and to others for the other replies

            Would you guess making G guage lighter or heavier?
          • tenfingertzar
            Message 6 of 6 , Jun 12, 2017
              Ah, that is the question! I'm not sure of the answer, or (the more I consider it) even if it would work. I can see the problem in the attached bridge, and can't think of a simple fix. Perhaps a saddle on top of it with compensation? I'd hate to put too many glued surfaces between the strings and the soundboard.