Re: [Tenor Guitar Registry]mandocello and octave mandolins

  • SteveB
    Message 1 of 36 , Feb 1, 2011
      Please allow me the opportunity to be the contrarian.

      Went to the My Rare Guitars website. Could not find the mandocello, either lefty or "wrongy" in the little bit of time I spent there. Really don't feel I should have to search and search. A direct link to it would be nice, thanks.

      And I am not completely buying the argument that it cost much more to make a left-handed instrument. Many of the pieces-parts are just mirror images of the part for a right-handed instrument. Clamps, cauls, etc. usually work for both. If CNC is used for cutting and assembly, it can sometimes be a matter of just changing a few directions; if hand-made, one would expect the craftsmen to be, well, craftsmen, and pay attention to what they are doing on EVERY instrument- so doing so on the left-handed ones should not be a particularly difficult task.

      I am of the opinion that makers charge more for lefty instruments for two reasons, but neither of them are REALLY due to manufacturing costs:
      1. Lefty instruments will take longer to sell than right handed ones. The fact that MRG has only lefty mandocellos left speaks to this, and;
      2. Because THEY CAN. A small maker like the mandocello maker for MRG has to guess as to how many lefty to make (and I am very glad they made them- please do not interpret what I am writing as ingrateful,) but a large maker like Gibson or Fender has the power to research the market to a fare-thee-well, and they know, almost to the piece, how many leftys will sell. If they share that info with their dealers, no one need be left with last year's leftys collecting dust while all the right-handed guitars are long gone.

      Therefore, there is little excuse for mass-produced, left-handed instruments to have a higher price- unless someone decides to hang the price TAG on the high "e" string tuner on lefty's, but on the low "E" string tuner on the right-handed ones, then hang 'em all, peg head up, on the wall...

      --- In tenorguitarregistry@yahoogroups.com, Mike Soares <soaresyguitars@...> wrote:

      > Hi from, Mike. Thank you for asking, while we are sold out on the acoustics except for one Lefty, We cannot get the acoustics at this time as the maker can no longer get wood to make them, they are in Portugal in the mountains, and do to the bad economy truckers are not willing to travel to the out of the way small towns to make deliveries or pickups, all are sticking to the port towns where there is at least some work to be found. I do have some necks to make some solid body ones coming in about 3weeks are so? 8 string ones run from about $300.00 to $400.00 less 10% to TGR Members plus shipping, Depending on set up and body style. Right now we are set up to make Telecaster and Stratocasters in black, but can offer other finishes for $40.00 extra, as well as hard cases for about $50.00 more. Cases are offered at my cost.
      > An Octave Mandolin is tuned an octave below a regular mandolin and is more in the range of guitar tuning, somewhat like a Bouzouki, they can be set up with straight tuning - GG DD AA EE – Or octave Hi Lo tuning – Gg Dd AA EE – We can also set one up as an 8 string Tenor – CC GG DD AA – Cc Gg DD AA – As a rule most player go with the Hi Lo tuning. Giving them more of a harp like tone that sounds like two instruments playing at the same time,
      > A Mandocello is tuned in the same octave as a Cello, more like a bass mandolin – Almost – cc gg dd aa – while most player go for straight tuning, we can do them as Ho Lo as well, but they are harder to play with the thicker Lo string next to a Hi one. Cc Gg DD AA –
      > All are made in a 22 ¾" Scale with a 1 ¼' top nut; they are easy to play with notes and chords.
      > Best thing I can tell you is to look on UTube for each instrument to see what they sound like.
      > We can also make them as a 6 string tenor, CC GG D A –
      > Hope this helps, Mike.
      >

      > Hi from, Mike Soares.
      > 11 Whittier Ave.
      > Yonkers, New York.
      > 10704.
      > Soares'y Guitars.
      > Web site.
      > http://soaresyguitars.com
      >

      > To: tenorguitarregistry@yahoogroups.com
      > From: blubull123@...
      > Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2011 06:38:11 -0800
      > Subject: RE: [Tenor Guitar Registry] TGR Gathering

      > Hi Mike. I was just looking at your website. I am very interested in either the mandocello or the octave mandolin. I didn't see prices for either one. Soundwise, what are the differences?
      > Todd

    • Todd Gardner
      Message 36 of 36 , Feb 22, 2011
        Thanks Mike. I like simple solutions. Kinda feel stupid cuz I didn't think about that. I'd still like to get a real tenor guitar. Maybe from you. I'll let you know when it's financially feasable.

        From: blubull123@...
        Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2011 15:23:03 -0800

        Thanks Steve. That one I knew. Was hoping there was another I was unaware of. I think the main problem is that I'm playing on a kids guitar that I took the top and bottom string off of. The neck is really too fat and it makes chords like Bb hard to do. I suppose I should try to get a real tenor guitar. Hopefully soon

        From: djandersen39 <djandersen39@...>
        Subject: [Tenor Guitar Registry] Re: (unknown)
        To: tenorguitarregistry@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Monday, February 14, 2011, 1:27 AM

        The C add 9 I would assume is a major 9th, so if you take the normal open position C chord that's 0 0 2 3 (low to high) you'd play 0 0 2 5 to get the ninth on the top string.

        The F sus 2 you could play 5 0 3 3, but I prefer 5 5 5 3. The 5 5 5 3 voicing is really a ninth chord, but the notes are right and it sounds better to my ear. A second and a ninth are the same note, but are voiced different. A sus 2 you'd voice the 2 next to the root in the chord stack, a ninth would be farther up the voicing as an extension to the harmony.

        It's hard to impossible to do close voicing on the tenor, due to the wide interval between strings. This is where regular guitar shines. Tenor has other virtues, as we all know.