Translation for tattoo

  • Sarah
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 20, 2008
      Hello,
      My name is Sarah, and I have always been a HUGE fan of lord of
      the rings, and part of a tattoo I want to get I want to personalize
      with the tengwar cursive from the one ring. I have already translated
      the message into elvish, please just write it out in elvish for me.
      One at a time please, and then all together in one sentance if you
      can. I have already tried the programs you can download and for some
      reason I can't get them to work PLEASE HELP!! Thanks, Sarah.

      1. Amin Mela Lle I love you

      2. Atara Mother

      3. Atar Father

      4. Eruanna Dorothy

      5. Eraisuithiel Merilwen Kaylee Rose

      6. Erulissë Saerwen Anna Maree

      7. Beriadan Neurion Alexander James

      8. tuuli' ungue Corey

      9. Herenya Jesse

      10. ar' and

      11. Neurion James

      12. ullúme Forever

      All together:
      Amin Mela Lle Atara Atar Eruanna Eraisuithiel Merilwen Erulissë
      Saerwen Beriadan Neurion Tuuli' Ungue Herenya ar' Neurion Ullúme
    • Yashira Burkeen
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 21, 2008
        Sure no Problem...I will when I get home from work

        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 23, 2008
          Sarah,

          I'm afraid several of the translations are inaccurate.

          1. I would translate this as _melin le_ or _melinye le_.

          2. The usual word for "mother" is _amil_.

          3. Correct.

          4-9, 11. I can't judge the accuracy of the name translations, but some
          of the names are clearly Sindarin in form, whereas the rest of the text
          is in Quenya. These are: "Eraisuithiel" ('deers-?-maiden'?), "Saerwen"
          ('bitter-maiden'), "Beriadan" ('protect-man').

          8. _tuuli' ungue_ I interpret as "has-come cobweb" (with "tuuli'" being
          an assimilated form of _túlie_), though the only attested present
          participle form of _tul-_ is _utúlie_, and "ungue" would rather be
          written _ungwe_ (_ue_ is not found at the end of Quenya words).

          9. The word _herenya_ "fortunate" probably needs a masculine ending to
          be interpreted as a name, thus _Herenyo_.

          10. No apostrophe is needed, _ar_ by itself meands "and".

          12. The word _ullúme_ is found in an early Quenya text, and though it
          might mean "forever" it might also mean "not forever"... It is probably
          better to use either _tennoio_ or _oiale_.

          Best regards,
          Måns

          Sarah wrote:

          > Hello,
          > My name is Sarah, and I have always been a HUGE fan of lord of
          > the rings, and part of a tattoo I want to get I want to personalize
          > with the tengwar cursive from the one ring. I have already translated
          > the message into elvish, please just write it out in elvish for me.
          > One at a time please, and then all together in one sentance if you
          > can. I have already tried the programs you can download and for some
          > reason I can't get them to work PLEASE HELP!! Thanks, Sarah.
          >
          > 1. Amin Mela Lle I love you
          >
          > 2. Atara Mother
          >
          > 3. Atar Father
          >
          > 4. Eruanna Dorothy
          >
          > 5. Eraisuithiel Merilwen Kaylee Rose
          >
          > 6. Erulissë Saerwen Anna Maree
          >
          > 7. Beriadan Neurion Alexander James
          >
          > 8. tuuli' ungue Corey
          >
          > 9. Herenya Jesse
          >
          > 10. ar' and
          >
          > 11. Neurion James
          >
          > 12. ullúme Forever
          >
          > All together:
          > Amin Mela Lle Atara Atar Eruanna Eraisuithiel Merilwen Erulissë
          > Saerwen Beriadan Neurion Tuuli' Ungue Herenya ar' Neurion Ullúme

        • Sarah Crowhurst
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 23, 2008
            OK I know some of them aren't in the same elvish, but I want to leave 1 and 2 are correct. I have used this sentanse with my mother a lot, and I want it to remain the same. 4 is fine, 5 and 6 I have translated these by looking up the meaning behind their names in real life such as kaylee rose litterally translates as hope rose and Anna marie translates as Grace bitter. I know it sounds funny but that's the way I want it. Herenya stands for wealthy which can be used for both the names Jesse or Jessica but if you think that Herenyo would be better than I agree because Jesse is my brother. 8. for corey I have translated that as "from the hollow" Which I beileve to be correct. Help me out here if I'm wrong. I agree that the "and" doesn't need an apostrophe and as for Ullume which of the two that you suggested represents forever best? Please email me back with this and then once we come to an agreement you can translate it for me thanks. Sarah

            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 24, 2008
              Hello Sarah!

              I hope I can be of help without becoming too annoying. :) I think
              "Eraisuithiel" has a very unusual form for a Sindarin word, or indeed
              name. If you want to translate "hope", then there is the well-known word
              _estel_. We also have the slightly less well-known word _amdir_ "hope
              based on reason". To turn these into feminine names we just have to add
              an appropriate feminine ending, for instance _Estelwen_, _Amdiriel_.

              As for "from the hollow", the Quenya word for "hollow" is _unque_
              (_ungwe_ means "spider-web"). In Quenya spatial relationships are often
              expressed by different cases; "from" would be indicated by the ablative
              case, using the case suffix _-llo_. _Unquello_ would mean "from the
              hollow", and I think also work as a masculine name.

              The word _oiale_ is translated "everlastingly", and _tennoio_ "forever".
              Both are based on the stem _oio_ "ever". Which word you choose depends
              mostly on what sounds best, I think.

              Yours,
              Måns

              Sarah Crowhurst wrote:

              > OK I know some of them aren't in the same elvish, but I want to leave 1
              > and 2 are correct. I have used this sentanse with my mother a lot, and I
              > want it to remain the same. 4 is fine, 5 and 6 I have translated these
              > by looking up the meaning behind their names in real life such as kaylee
              > rose litterally translates as hope rose and Anna marie translates as
              > Grace bitter. I know it sounds funny but that's the way I want it.
              > Herenya stands for wealthy which can be used for both the names Jesse or
              > Jessica but if you think that Herenyo would be better than I agree
              > because Jesse is my brother. 8. for corey I have translated that as
              > "from the hollow" Which I beileve to be correct. Help me out here if I'm
              > wrong. I agree that the "and" doesn't need an apostrophe and as for
              > Ullume which of the two that you suggested represents forever best?
              > Please email me back with this and then once we come to an agreement you
              > can translate it for me thanks. Sarah

            • Reel
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 24, 2008
                Sorry imn the one who needs a transcription,didnt mean to confuse you if ya have any luck please forward to me ....good luck.
                Reel Goode

                --
                Reel J. Goode