ground mat

  • PJ Anway
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 1, 2004
      Hi group,

      Maybe a bit OT, but I was wondering if anyone had a source for a circular ground mat to put under your telescope to make it easier to find those lens caps you drop in the dark. I've checked on-line telescope dealers and camping suppliers, but haven't been able to locate any. What do you use?

      Best regards,
      PJ
      http://www.munisingwebsites.com/lookum

    • Peter K Rallis
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 1, 2004
        PJ,

        Cheap tarps from Harbor Freight. They last a season or two and you can
        replace them for less than $10.00 depending on size.

        peter...

      • Stu Travelbee
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 1, 2004
          --- In telescopes@yahoogroups.com, "PJ Anway" <panway@u...> wrote:
          > Hi group,
          >
          > Maybe a bit OT, but I was wondering if anyone had a source for a
          circular ground mat to put under your telescope to make it easier to
          find those lens caps you drop in the dark. I've checked on-line
          telescope dealers and camping suppliers, but haven't been able to
          locate any. What do you use?

          > Best regards,
          > PJ
          PJ,
          I use a furniture moving pad which is 72"x80". It adds a little
          cushion to the hard earth and can be washed and dried in your home,
          no need to make a trip to the laundry mat for the bigger washers.
          These cost $10.00 at Northern Tool & Equipment. Larger sizes are
          available too. I keep two in the back of the truck all the time.
          Stu
        • Gregg
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 1, 2004
            Try a square of outdoor carpet. I use a 6x6 foot chunk that was the
            end of a roll at a local hardware store. Costs less than $5 and will
            last nearly forever. Choice of color is optional. Roll it up around
            an old refractor or cardboard tube. My light blue one matches my old
            Celestron C-10 blue/white SCT.