Re: Star Watch

  • Phil Harrington
    Message 1 of 19 , Oct 1, 2003
      Hi Jason,

      Thanks very much for your kind comments. Glad you like it. I was
      very sorry when I had to cut the observing chapter out of Star Ware
      3e, but had no choice because of how much the other chapters expanded
      since the 2nd edition. Star Watch gave me a chance not only to keep
      that material, but to expand it greatly. I still didn't have room
      for the section on "Astrophotography 101," but who knows; maybe that
      will spin into its own book one day. :-)

      Phil
      ------------------
      Phil Harrington
      Author, Star Ware/Watch
      http://www.philharrington.net

      --- In telescopes@yahoogroups.com, "jtpaoletti" <jtpaoletti@y...>
      wrote:
      > Hey Phil I just picked up Star Watch yesterday. I haven't had much
      > time to get too in depth with it yet, but have skimmed through it a
      > few times. Looks like this is going to get lots of use. I really
      > enjoyed the viewing section in Star Ware so this is just the ticket.
      > Thanks,
      > Jason Paoletti
    • gibson57guy
      Message 2 of 19 , Oct 1, 2003
        I also have bought the book Star Watch...

        Here is my review:

        First of all I have a 12" skymentor.. Just upgraded from an Orion
        10" xt which I upgraded from an 8"... All within a year and a half..

        I use the eyepieces from the Celestron Accessorie Kit and observe
        90% from urban skies.

        What I didn't like......mmmm got me stumped there.

        What I loved??

        The photo's and sketches are in black & white and give you a very
        realistic view of what you will actually see!! Not what you'd see if
        owned the Hubble! Example when I looked at the photo of the dumbell
        nebula I said to myself.. Holy Cow that's just what it looks like
        in "My" telescope !!

        This book gives a great overview of the planets and moon.. For me it
        was just right... If I wanted an exhaustive description I would buy
        separate books.. But I don't,so this book lays it out just right!!

        Like the previous poster I too liked the wow factor!! I also liked
        the fact that this book actually gave separate descriptions of what
        to expect in binoculars, 3-5" scope and 6-8" scope.

        This book also gives a great mix of messier objects as well as ngc's
        with just enough description about the objects being seen. It shows
        your where to look to find the objects it just described.

        This is an excellant book that I would recommend to everyone.. It
        doesn't exhaust anyone subject but gives just enough detail to keep
        you interested. It's one of the best all round books I've read.
        (and I've read lots)

        Some of our youth in our church have a saying "KEEP IT REAL" This
        book definately does that... keeps it real. It's one of the better
        books I've read and will keep you interested and busy for a long
        while!!

        Mark Visser
      • Phil Harrington
        Message 3 of 19 , Oct 1, 2003
          Thank you also, Mark. Writing a book can be a long, often tiring
          ordeal, but reading comments such as yours helps to make all of the
          early mornings worthwhile (that's what I do most of my writing,
          between about 4 AM and 6 AM).

          BTW, congrats on owning what has proven to be a very good telescope.
          Judging by Geoff's review that he referred to earlier, you should be
          a happy observer for years to come.

          Phil
          --------------------
          Phil Harrington
          Author, Star Ware/Watch
          http://www.philharrington.net
        • kenitakahashi
          Message 4 of 19 , Oct 8, 2003
            I took my copy of Star Watch out to Utah along with my Nexstar 8i. It was my first
            opportunity to really try out my new (8 weeks) scope under such clear, dark skies.
            The GPS and goto functions were right on and I was able to take a marvelous "tour" of
            the skies. I found the book with its index much quicker for reading about what I was
            looking at rather than waiting for the hand control to scroll its info. I could also verify
            that I was looking at the right object by comparing the images in the book with those
            in the scope. What a marvelous night. I spent 6 hours standing out there since I
            hadn't gotten a chair yet. The computer hand control and the book introduced me to
            nearly 80 objects! I know that to some this is cheating, letting the computer do the
            finding, but I was able to see things that I would have never dreamed of looking for
            and thanks to its great low-light readability I was able to get a lot of background info
            for each object from the book. What a great combo! Thank you Celestron and Phil
            Harrington!

            Clearest of skies,
            Ken
          • Phil Harrington
            Message 5 of 19 , Oct 8, 2003
              Thank you, Ken, for the high praise. That's exactly what the book is
              for. In fact, I was using the book just last night with my undergrad
              astronomy class. As we were looking at the Moon, I was able to spit
              out dimensions and distances (from the book) as if I knew what I was
              talking about. :-) Hey, it impressed them.

              Clear skies,
              Phil

              --- In telescopes@yahoogroups.com, "kenitakahashi"