Orion Telescopes mirrors

  • Laurentiu Alimpie
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 1, 2002
      Hello !
      This is my first time when I post a message on this group. I`m
      planning to
      build a 8 inch telescope and for this reason I intend to purchase a
      mirror,
      besides the fact I have absolutely no practice in grinding one
      myself. Now,
      I have a question for anyone who might answer: how about the 8 in
      mirrors
      that Orion Telescopes sells usually ? I want to know something about
      the
      quality of those mirrors and I am especially interested if anyone did
      some
      tests and which are the results. If someone has a reason to say that
      is any
      other company that sells 8 in mirrors in the same range of prices and
      of
      better quality, please, let me know.

      Thank you very much,

      Laurentiu
    • Drazen Kupec
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 1, 2002
        Laurentiu Alimpie wrote:

        If someone has a reason to say that is any other company
        >that sells 8 in mirrors in the same range of prices and
        > of better quality, please, let me know.

        There is Discovery Telescopes in CA, definitely worth to consider.
        http://www.discovery-telescopes.com/accessories.html

        ***Drazen-Cro***
      • Geoff Gaherty
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 1, 2002
          Laurentiu Alimpie wrote:

          > I`m planning to
          > build a 8 inch telescope and for this reason I intend to purchase a mirror,
          > besides the fact I have absolutely no practice in grinding one myself. Now,
          > I have a question for anyone who might answer: how about the 8 in mirrors
          > that Orion Telescopes sells usually ? I want to know something about the
          > quality of those mirrors and I am especially interested if anyone did some
          > tests and which are the results. If someone has a reason to say that is any
          > other company that sells 8 in mirrors in the same range of prices and
          > of better quality, please, let me know.

          Orion is a dealer and importer, and manufactures _nothing_ that they sell
          themselves. Their mirrors seem to come from Synta in China, the suppliers of
          their telescopes, because the specifications match those in their telescopes
          exactly. There are other sources of mirrors which make the mirrors themselves,
          such as Discovery:

          http://www.discovery-telescopes.com/optics.html

          Discovery makes mirrors in two price categories...it's worth spending a little
          more and getting their Premium mirrors. There are of course _real_ premium
          mirror makers, such as Royce, but they're in a different price category:

          http://www.rfroyce.com/ast/products.htm

          --
          Geoff Gaherty
          Toronto Centre RASC