which equatorial platform?

  • jon_bent@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 1, 2001
      Hi fellow amateurs
      I would like advice on which equatorial platform to choose. I would
      like something light-weight and compact to go with my coming 10"
      Teleport. Equatorial platforms can be used on a variety of latitudes,
      right?
      Jon
    • Geoff Gaherty
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 1, 2001
        jon_bent@... wrote:

        > I would like advice on which equatorial platform to choose. I would
        > like something light-weight and compact to go with my coming 10"
        > Teleport. Equatorial platforms can be used on a variety of latitudes,
        > right?

        I recently had to make this decision rearding a platform for the Starmaster 11 I
        have on order. I looked at the alternatives and decided on ordering a platform
        from Tom Osypowski, largely because of his excellent reputation.

        Because of their design, equatorial platforms must be built to a single specific
        latitude. They can be used a few degrees on either side of that. Tom's
        platforms may be used at laest plus or minus 6 degrees from their nominal
        latitude, which Tom recommends based on your particular circumstances. For
        example, I told him I usually observed from sites falling within the range of
        46.2° N to 43.7° N. He recommended a platform with a nominallatitude of 44°,
        close to my most frequently used latitudes, easily able to encompass the more
        northern latitudes I go to occasionally, and giving me a lot of freedom to move
        south, which we both felt was the more likely direction I would wander in!

        Geoff Gaherty
        Toronto Centre RASC
      • jon_bent@hotmail.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 1, 2001
          > Because of their design, equatorial platforms must be built to a
          single specific
          > latitude.

          Hmmm - this will be a big problem for me. I have no permanent home
          location yet. I am from Norway, which ranges from ~56-72 degrees
          North, but I now work in Greece at 35 degrees. My current work
          finishes in about one year, and afterwards I can end up anywhere. I
          found the adjustable Johnsonian platforms
          (http://www.johnsonian.com/index.html), but they do not cover the
          latitude(s) of Norway. Guess I will have to wait and see where in the
          world I end up.
          Jon
        • yooody@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 1, 2001
            Jon,

            I have the 10" Teleport and Tom O. equatorial platform. The
            combination is hard to beat. You can be set up in under 5 minutes.
            The platform is incredible. I have had Jupiter in the fov for 45
            minutes at 300x.

            Regards,

            Marc Zukoff