Telescope Travel Case

  • James R. Griggs
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 1, 2001
      I have a Meade 4504 4.5" Reflector telescope. I'm in the process of
      making a travel case for the OTA and tripod using a hard-sided golf
      bag travel case. The case appears to be just the right size to hold
      both large components, and I think it will work out pretty well. The
      bag is a good start for such a case because it has wheels and a
      functional handle.

      Does anyone else have any experience in making a case for their scope
      (s)?

      Jim Griggs
      Richland, WA
      Meade4504Telescopes eGroup Moderator/Owner
    • captjwj@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 10, 2001
        Jim,

        I was sifting through some of the "Talking Telescope" messages and
        came across yours. Did you ever get any other responses to your
        question?

        I had been searching for a case for my 4-inch Meade ED refractor for
        a long time. About two months ago I also hit on the idea of using a
        hard sided golf bag travel case. I did some reasearch on the net for
        them and finally purchased an SKB model. It is very nice, has three
        locking latches, wheels and two handles. I got the smallest version
        SKB makes (~50"long x 11"dia.) but it works nicely for my 4-inch now,
        and I plan on selling my 4-inch and purchasing the 5-inch version of
        the same scope from a fellow astronomer very soon. It will work
        perfectly for it too.

        What I would like to find though is a source of some good quality
        foam inserts that I could purchase to customize the support of the
        tube assembly inside the case. Got any thoughts or suggestions??

        John Johnson
        Omaha, NE