Re: Jupiter and Saturn details in 4-in refractor?

  • Mark Foulkes
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 1, 2001
      With a Zeiss Telementor (optically excellent but only 63mm) I've seen
      the Cassini division during most sessions (fleetingly when the
      atmosphere settled during viewing), ring shadow and subtle disk
      shadings were easy on Saturn, I've also seen finer detail within the
      belts of Jupiter and although at the time I couldn't confirm these
      were festoons with a larger scope, they were certainly suspected to
      be. I couldn't see ovals (in the UK they're difficult with a much
      bigger scope a lot of the time) and there's no chance of me seeing
      the Encke Division. Some people have said they've seen it in a 4", a
      lot more more people have said they haven't seen it with much bigger
      scopes (not least of which 7 and 8" apos).

      I've had tremendous fun using a smaller refractor on the planets and
      even though features are more subtle than when using larger apertures
      I'm sure that a quality 4" will give you plenty of joy.

      Mark

      --- In telescopes@y..., ratboy99@a... wrote:
      > If the festoons are at all distinct they may be visible in a small
      scope. I
      > have seen the better ones (as well as the GRS, and the Cassini
      Division in

    • andy.heath@cwctv.net
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 1, 2001
        Hi Mark, I have seen the Enke division on Saturn with my Vixen GP102, it was a very exceptional night though, of which we don't have too many as you know.

        Clear Skies,

        Andy.

      • chv69@aol.com
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 1, 2001
          In a message dated 3/1/2001 10:36:07 AM Eastern Standard Time,
          andy.heath@... writes:

          << Hi Mark, I have seen the Enke division on Saturn with my Vixen GP102, it
          was a very exceptional night though, of which we don't have too many as you
          know. >>
          Are you sure it was Encke division and not the Encke minima?
        • andy.heath@cwctv.net
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 1, 2001
            Actually, thinking about it, you may be right there.

            A good person to ask on this group would be Vic Palmieri.

            Hey Vic, are you listening in here at all
            buddy?

            Clear Skies,

            Andy.

          • vpalmieri@adelphia.net
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 1, 2001
              --- In telescopes@y..., <andy.heath@c...> wrote:
              > Actually, thinking about it, you may be right there.
              >
              > A good person to ask on this group would be Vic Palmieri.
              >
              > Hey Vic, are you listening in here at all
              > buddy?
              >
              > Clear Skies,
              >
              > Andy.
              >
              > Hi Andy:

              Thanks for the consideration and confidence.

              Using a 4" f/9.8 VX102 achromat under steady conditions, the three
              major ring divisions of Saturn, Rings A, B and C, are very distinct
              in texture and brightness. Some shading is obvious within the A Ring.
              Cassini's Division can be seen all the way around the planet as a
              sharp black space separating two rings of very different color and
              tone (A&B). In the 4" the C Ring is most obvious as dark crescents on
              each side of the planet along the inside edges of the brighter B
              Ring. I have never seen the Encke Division.

              The shadow cast by the planet can be seen on the rings. Shading and
              one or two broad cloud belts can be seen on the globe of the planet.
              Saturn in the achromat has a warm tone.

              If the clouds every go away and good seeing returns, I'll study the
              planet again through the 4" and will post what I see.

              On Jupiter, the GRS and shadow transits are easy. On evenings of very
              good seeing, some structure can be seen within the GRS. I find a #11
              Yellow-Green filter very helpful when viewing Jupiter. It also helps
              a little on Saturn.

              Mars during the last opposition was fun to observe in the 4". During
              moments of good seeing, the larger surface features could be seen and
              identified. This opposition has Mars low in the sky so very steady
              skies will truly be needed for worthwhile viewing.

              Hope this helps.

              Vic Palmieri
            • ratboy99@aol.com
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 1, 2001
                In a message dated 3/1/01 7:37:49 PM Mountain Standard Time,
                vpalmieri@... writes:

                > This opposition has Mars low in the sky so very steady
                > skies will truly be needed for worthwhile viewing.
                >
                > Hope this helps.
                >
                > Vic Palmieri

                I plan to be in Mexico (Cozumel) during the beginning of May, and I plan to
                take my 4" scope with me in hopes of catching Mars a bit higher in the sky.
                It will be over 10 arcsec (I can't remember exactly) so hopefully I will get
                some good views.

                rat