RE: [Telescopes] Help

  • tincanandstring
    Message 1 of 23 , Sep 4, 2013

      I know I selected Geoff only and not the group as the recipient of this, now I cannot find a way to delete this message, intended to be private.

      I apologize to the group.

      If not being able to delete one's own posts is a new feature, I don't like it. If they just have not ironed out the bugs yet, I wish they would get on with it.

      Frank

    • Geoff Gaherty
      Message 2 of 23 , Sep 4, 2013
        On 04/09/13 10:27 AM, frank@... wrote:
        > If not being able to delete one's own posts is a new feature, I don't
        > like it. If they just have not ironed out the bugs yet, I wish they
        > would get on with it.

        It looks like there are a lot of bugs! I don't understand what you said
        about the home page, because it looks just the same to me as it always
        did, with a graphic of a telescope, no test tubes. Maybe it's only
        groups that didn't already have a graphic that show test tubes?

        Geoff

        --
        Geoff Gaherty
        Foxmead Observatory
        Message 3 of 23 , Sep 4, 2013

          Hmm, does the web address you see for the homepage have /neo/ as part of it?

          You may not have been assimilated yet.

          Perhaps Canada will not allow yahoo to mess with its citizens like yahoo is messing with us here.

          Time will tell.

          --- In telescopes@yahoogroups.com, <telescopes@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

          On 04/09/13 10:27 AM, frank@... wrote:
          > If not being able to delete one's own posts is a new feature, I don't
          > like it. If they just have not ironed out the bugs yet, I wish they
          > would get on with it.

          It looks like there are a lot of bugs! I don't understand what you said
          about the home page, because it looks just the same to me as it always
          did, with a graphic of a telescope, no test tubes. Maybe it's only
          groups that didn't already have a graphic that show test tubes?

          Geoff

          --
          Geoff Gaherty
          Foxmead Observatory
          Coldwater, Ontario, Canada
          http://www.gaherty.ca
          http://starrynightskyevents.blogspot.com/
        • Wayne S
          Message 4 of 23 , Sep 14, 2013
            Hi crew,

            I've been thinking along the same line. I've used the same equipment for years now. Like Jack, I have some lunar pictures with my point and shoot digital camera (an old 3.2mp Canon PowerShot)pointed into the eyepiece of my DOB with the lowest power eyepiece (48x).

            However as an inexpensive nudge into astrophotography I was wondering how good a picture I would get if I purchased the iOptron Sky Tracker Camera mount. I think they are running around $400.00 around here. If I stuck that on a tripod and put my Canon Rebel on it would that give any decent results? I don't have a wide angle lens just the regular kit 18-55 lens for the Rebel. I was speculating I could get pictures of the milky way, open clusters, maybe andromeda or other large typically binocular objects with such a set up. Would it be a bad idea to try the iOptron?

            Wayne

            Wayne Schlapkohl
            North Battleford, SK
            10" SkyWatcher Dob

            --- In telescopes@yahoogroups.com, "Tom" <dropzone@...> wrote:

            > Well, that’s scuppered that idea then. Thanks Geoff.
            > I suspected that getting a cheap scope would have its limitations.
            > I best stick to getting to know my way around the heavens first and let’s see if I get hooked enough to upgrade in the future.
            > Once again thanks for the advice
            > Tom

          • Stephen
            Message 5 of 23 , Sep 14, 2013
              Hi Wayne,
              Just my $.02 worth. I just received my iOptron SkyTracker mount a couple of weeks ago. I used it 2 nights. This is one excellent mount! I haven't stacked my results yet. But, I sent a photo to a friend & he thought i was using a large telescope mount. My stars were round after photos of 2 minutes. I was using my Canon T3i & both 18-55 & 55-150 zoom lenses. I too would like to get a wide angle lens. Hope this helps.
              Stephen

              Sent from my iPhone

              Message 6 of 23 , Sep 15, 2013
                Hi Stephen,

                That is high praise! I'll look into the iOptron. It just got pushed back a bit for financial planning reasons (that is an obtuse way of saying my family decided to splurge for a trip to Hawaii and I'll have to see if we have any money left after we get it all booked:)but if everyone speaks as highly of it as you do, I'm sure I'll pick up an iOptron mount.

                Wayne

                Wayne Schlapkohl
                North Battleford, Sk
                10" SkyWatcher Dob