Re: [Telescopes] 6" Dobsonian

  • Jerome Bigge
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 3, 2013
      Orion used to have a 4.5� dob, but
      I believe the price was around $199.

      Jerome Bigge
      www.muskegonlibertarian.wordpress.com

      From: Harry
      Sent: Tuesday, September 03, 2013 1:22 PM
      To: telescopes@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [Telescopes] 6" Dobsonian

      The local library system has contacted me for help - their teen summer
      reading program for next year has a science emphasis, and they would
      like to give as a prize for the top reader a telescope. The lady in
      charge asked me for advice. She initially said their budget was about
      $150 - I told her this was a bit low, and she said they could spend a
      bit more for a quality product. I haven't asked her what a "bit" would
      be yet. My initial reaction is the classic 6" reflector, but in looking
      around (I haven't priced 6" Dobs in a while) it seems the prices are
      higher, and some vendors don't even seem to offer those any more - for
      instance, I couldn't find one at Astronomics, and Orion seems to only
      have the "build-a-scope" packages, which get a little pricey. So, is
      the 6" still a good start?

      I'm thinking about approaching my astro club about kicking in a little,
      but I want to get more details first.

      Harry Boswell

    • Armand Buron
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 4, 2013
        Hello Harry,

        I purchased my 10" Dob last year and I just checked to see if they have any smaller one and they have lots of them.  You can check them out and I'm sure you can find something in the library's budget.  The link with the dobs displayed is ...

        Hope this helps.
        Armand