Re: [Telescopes] latest news on Meade 07/05/13

  • Jack & Lynn Kramer
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 7, 2013
      I have a couple of thoughts on the issue of Meade's future.

      First, I disagree with one item in the newspaper article:
      "People no longer hold stargazing parties, and households that once proudly
      displayed their telescopes no longer think they are trendy, analysts said."
      People actually still do hold stargazing parties. I belong to two astronomy
      clubs and in recent years both have experienced such an increase in requests
      for public star parties from libraries, schools, forest preserves, etc. that
      neither club can accommodate all the requests. And I'm pretty sure that most
      active amateur astronomers do not "proudly display" their telescopes, unless
      someone asks to see them.

      Secondly, it has been my personal experience, together with other reports,
      that Meade has long suffered from a lack of good quality control. There
      certainly are many astronomers who have had good results with their Meade
      products, but I don't know of any other supplier about whom you hear so many
      real horror stories about poor product quality. It's perhaps illustrative
      that to my knowledge Meade is the only supplier who sells service contracts
      on its products. If any other entity purchases Meade, the first thing they
      need to do is mend its broken reputation.

      Jack Kramer
      Lily Lake, Illinois

    • starryskyn
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 14, 2013
        My neighbor is a relative of a former Meade executive who walked away from the company last year. I got the story that he was so disgusted with Meade that he gave away his nearly unused eight inch LX200 scope.
        Gregg