Re: [Telescopes] latest news on Meade 07/05/13

  • Geoff Gaherty
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 7, 2013
      On 07/07/13 6:09 PM, Kevin Dixon wrote:
      > I was considering the purchase of a Meade LX-600 mount and of of
      > Meade's largest authorized dealers, who I was going to purchase the
      > mount from, advised me to reconsider because of the tenuous future of
      > the Company.

      I have a friend who is one of Meade's largest dealers in Canada, and I
      have heard endless tales of woe about his dealings with Meade over the
      years. Some of these stories seemed far-fetched until I heard similar
      stories from other dealers all over North America. The only reason many
      dealers have continued to sell Meade is the customer demand, fuelled by
      the glossy ads in the magazines. The dealers then become the brunt of
      customer's frustrations over the non-delivery of promised goods, and the
      non-functioning of the goods that are delivered.

      With any other supplier, such as Celestron, Orion, SkyWatcher, or
      TeleVue, if a dealer is out of stock, he just gets on the phone, and the
      item arrives two days later, and everyone is happy. With Meade, he
      would order a dozen of something (as I said, he's a large dealer), and,
      if he was lucky, he would receive one item in 6 weeks, or maybe 6
      months, or maybe never. The telescope business is a small margin
      business, and the only way to make money is to move product through your
      store. This doesn't work if half your customers are waiting for product
      that may never materialize. On several occasions my friend ended up
      cancelling the Meade orders and offering products from other suppliers
      instead at a loss, just to stay on the good side of his customers.

      Geoff

      --
      Geoff Gaherty
      Foxmead Observatory
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 7, 2013
        I have a couple of thoughts on the issue of Meade's future.

        First, I disagree with one item in the newspaper article:
        "People no longer hold stargazing parties, and households that once proudly
        displayed their telescopes no longer think they are trendy, analysts said."
        People actually still do hold stargazing parties. I belong to two astronomy
        clubs and in recent years both have experienced such an increase in requests
        for public star parties from libraries, schools, forest preserves, etc. that
        neither club can accommodate all the requests. And I'm pretty sure that most
        active amateur astronomers do not "proudly display" their telescopes, unless
        someone asks to see them.

        Secondly, it has been my personal experience, together with other reports,
        that Meade has long suffered from a lack of good quality control. There
        certainly are many astronomers who have had good results with their Meade
        products, but I don't know of any other supplier about whom you hear so many
        real horror stories about poor product quality. It's perhaps illustrative
        that to my knowledge Meade is the only supplier who sells service contracts
        on its products. If any other entity purchases Meade, the first thing they
        need to do is mend its broken reputation.

        Jack Kramer
        Lily Lake, Illinois

      • starryskyn
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 14, 2013
          My neighbor is a relative of a former Meade executive who walked away from the company last year. I got the story that he was so disgusted with Meade that he gave away his nearly unused eight inch LX200 scope.
          Gregg