Re: GSO 2 speed focuser on Orion 203mm?

  • joanna99999
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 1, 2013
      As near as I can determine, I will need to have an adaptor plate made to make this focuser work for my scope. The spacing for both the bolts that are on the scope and the focuser are not even close to the same, plus the focuser will need to be moved out (away from the secondary mirror ) roughly 5/8" to achive focus. I think if I can find someway to form a piece of aluminum bar stock 4" wide by 5/8" thick into the right arch, then get about a 2.5" hole in it and then 8 smaller holes likely threaded, the focuser could be made to work. It is just a question if this is worth doing or if it would be just better to bite the bullet and buy a Moonlite instead.
      - joanna

      --- In telescopes@yahoogroups.com, "Corona Australis" <corona_australis@...> wrote:

      > Hi I haven't posted here for quite sometime. But I have had one on one of my
      > home built scopes a 2
      > speed GSO focuser so have had a lil experience. It was certainly better than
      > the single speed if I was
      > going to choose between to two I would certainly go with the two speed. But
      > ultimately it is what it
      > is and from memory suffered a lil with heavy EP's but some what less than
      > the single speed GSO focuser.
      >
      > If you are just getting into the hobby then it will definitely do for a
      > while. After a few years you might
      > like to upgrade. There is nothing sweeter than a smooth running focuser
      >
      > Hope that helps
      >
      > Rob

    • Julian Shull
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 1, 2013
        You could just drill new holes in the OTA for the screws. If the OTA is
        cardboard, simply fill the old holes with wood putty, sand and paint (unless
        the new focuser covers them), it metal you could use a metal filled epoxy
        available at Home Depot to fill them. So far as the spacer, Moonlite
        actually sells such spacers for their scopes that are plastic. You could use
        the same and it is a lot easier to work with than metal, unless of course
        you have a milling machine. Phenolic board or polycarbonate would be good
        candidates as are others.

        JS in BC

        --- In telescopes@yahoogroups.com <mailto:telescopes%40yahoogroups.com> ,
        "Corona Australis" <corona_australis@... <mailto:corona_australis@...> >
        wrote:

        > Hi I haven't posted here for quite sometime. But I have had one on one of
        my
        > home built scopes a 2
        > speed GSO focuser so have had a lil experience. It was certainly better
        than
        > the single speed if I was
        > going to choose between to two I would certainly go with the two speed.
        But
        > ultimately it is what it
        > is and from memory suffered a lil with heavy EP's but some what less than
        > the single speed GSO focuser.
        >
        > If you are just getting into the hobby then it will definitely do for a
        > while. After a few years you might
        > like to upgrade. There is nothing sweeter than a smooth running focuser
        >
        > Hope that helps
        >
        > Rob

      • joanna99999
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 2, 2013
          Hello Julian,
          First Thank You for your reply. Of course drilling new holes and filling in the old ones might be an option if it were not for the focal length issue, that will require me to move the focuser further out on the Optical tube assembly to obtain focus. I have remeasured and determined this is about a half inch (.50" or 12.7mm)due to the height of the GSO I have compared to the single speed Orion that come with the scope. In this case I believe less is better than more as it is easier to shim any additional height than it would be to re-machine the height of the plate used for the adaptor. What I have learned is that a flat bar stock could be put through a forming roller that could bend the bar stock into the proper arch or radius that would mate with the tube and still also mate with the focuser base which is for an 8 to 10 inche tube. Aluminum seems like a good choice as it would be far easier to work with than steel and would be more durable than trying to make one out of a plastic. I would have concerns about a plastic adaptor retaining thread holes for one thing. As near as I can determine if I can get the bar stock rolled to the correct arc, I should be able to get a hole saw the size the size I need for the focuser barrel to pass through and drill and tap holes in the plate that should hold the focuser. As I understand it, I would first obtain the bar stock (likely in the length of about one foot) then take that to a welding shop which has a forming roll. It should be a small matter for them to roll that into something that is close to the radius of the Optical tube. Then go and take the Orion focuser off the tube, and using a piece of construction paper, mark out the size of the holes in the Optical tube. Then transfer the holes into the plate. Then do the same with the GSO focuser on the other side. Tap the holes to accept some type of common thread and obtain hardware that is in that thread to attach the plate to the tube and the focuser to the plate. It might be also wise to paint the adaptor plate in a flat black after polishing it somewhat to get a smooth finish. Someone also suggested making gaskets for both the matting surfaces using automotive gasket paper. The bar stock will cost about 30 USD with shipping, I know someone who works for a large fab shop who hopefully can get the plate formed in the rolls. I know a few people who have drill presses and about all I would need to do is to make the templates and obtain whatever hole saw I would need and drill and tap I would use as well as the hardware. I think I can do the polishing of it and hopefully paint it. Then I should be able to collminate the scope as I have done a few times already using the new focuser.

          Some might wonder what bother? I can already answer that as the single speed focuser just will not do once you have used a two speed focuser. The cost of a Moonlite or Baader or Feathertouch is considerably more than the cost of making an adaptor and the only other option I see is to go with an Orion two speed unit which is still likely more than the cost of building the adaptor. I can say the GSO focuser feels nice and I can hardly wait until I have it installed on the scope and start using it.
          - Joanna