RE: [Telescopes] No Tasco!

  • Julian Shull
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 19, 2013
      Bob;

      You got a great deal and will have a lot of fun with that scope. My first
      suggestion would be to read up on collimation of Newtonian optics on the
      internet. These scopes sometimes need some slight adjustment to keep them
      performing a peak potential.

      JS in BC

      _____

      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 20, 2013
        Good for you.  Tasco - along with Seben - are generally regarded as the wooden spoon holders amongst telescopes.  The dob will suit you until you want something that will track - instead of nudging it by hand, which is just so 19th century.
        PeterW

        ________________________________
        Thanks for all your inputs. I just purchased a Celestron 8 inch Dobsonian from craigslist for $200.00! It has all the stock parts and 2 eye pieces to get me started. He demoed it to me and it seems to be fine.

        Thanks again,
        Bob

      • Geoff Gaherty
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 20, 2013
          On 19/01/13 11:26 PM, galaxy wrote:
          > Thanks for all your inputs. I just purchased a Celestron 8 inch
          > Dobsonian from craigslist for $200.00! It has all the stock parts and
          > 2 eye pieces to get me started. He demoed it to me and it seems to be
          > fine.

          That's a great deal! I have a friend who has a Celestron Dob and he has
          been very happy with it. There are two generations of Celestron Dobs.
          The earlier ones were made in the USA By Discovery and have cardboard
          tubes -- that's what my friend has. The newer ones were made in China
          or Taiwan with Guan Sheng optics in a Synta body, and had metal tubes.
          Both are excellent.

          Geoff

          --
          Geoff Gaherty
          Foxmead Observatory
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 20, 2013
            That's great! That's a great price!

            I purchased my Celestron 8 in Dobsonian in 1999 and I love it. The optics
            are fantastic. Back in 2004 my friend Geoff Gaherty helped me to perform
            some serious upgrades like replacing the focuser, secondary holder, and
            adding a 9x50 finderscope. Other scopes have come and gone but this one I
            will never sell. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do.

            Paul D'Amelio
            RASC, Toronto, Centre