Newtonian with an annoying object behind the eyepiece

  • aughtago
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 4, 2011
      I see this object that appears like it is in the eyepiece. As I move my eye side to side it moves back and forth in front of my view. It looks like several curvered hairs coming downwards to a point. (maybe a chip?)
      I have tried both my eyes to rule out eyelash or cataracs. I have also tried 3 different lenses, with and without the Barlow. Still there in all cases.
      I inspected the primary and secondary mirrors while still outdoors using the red flashlight. I saw what looked like smutz on the edge of the secondary and tried to clean it off, but no avail.

      What causes this type of object in a 5" newtonian?
    • lenny
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 6, 2011
        --- In telescopes@yahoogroups.com, "aughtago" <stanhowe@...> wrote:

        > I see this object that appears like it is in the eyepiece. As I move my eye side to side it moves back and forth in front of my view. It looks like several curvered hairs coming downwards to a point. (maybe a chip?)
        > I have tried both my eyes to rule out eyelash or cataracs. I have also tried 3 different lenses, with and without the Barlow. Still there in all cases.
        > I inspected the primary and secondary mirrors while still outdoors using the red flashlight. I saw what looked like smutz on the edge of the secondary and tried to clean it off, but no avail.
        >
        > What causes this type of object in a 5" newtonian?

        Hi:

        I am not sure. However, the fact that the object seems to move in response with your eye movement maybe a clue. It might be the result of incoming light reflected off your eye. I have seen this occur when viewing a very bright object such as a planet or the Moon. I am unsure because what I have viewed does not resemble your description. What I observed was a phantom object similar to the one I was observing. It appeared as a shadow, moving in a mirrored path.

        That is all I have to offer. I hope that helps....

        Lenny
      • JohnA
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 6, 2011
          --- "aughtago" <stanhowe@...> wrote:

          > I see this object that appears like it is in the eyepiece. As I move my eye side to side it moves back and forth in front of my view. It looks like several curved hairs coming downwards to a point. (maybe a chip?)

          > What causes this type of object in a 5" newtonian?

          You mentioned swapping eyepieces (with no affect) and checking the primary and secondary mirrors. Is there any other glass in the optical path? Some 4 to 5-inch Newtonians have what is basically a barlow lens built into the focuser tube.

          Are the curved lines bright, or dark? And, are they sharply focused, or blurry? If they are blurry, can you bring them into focus by racking the focuser in and out? As a long shot, are there spider webs or strands of hair inside the focuser tube near the eyepiece?

          I'm very curious because I never seen anything remotely similar to what you describe in over 25 years of viewing with Newtonians. Be sure to let us know how this is resolved.

          John Alsobrook
          North Carolina
        • robert crews
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 6, 2011
            Gentlemen,

            I know this sounds terribly basic, but because this "thing" moves backs and
            forth when you move your eye back and forth, I'll speculate that this is a
            floater in your eye. I have these too and they are harmless but annoying !

            Bob Crews
            Louisville Ky

            ________________________________
            > I see this object that appears like it is in the eyepiece. As I move my eye
            >side to side it moves back and forth in front of my view. It looks like several
            >curved hairs coming downwards to a point. (maybe a chip?)
            >

            > What causes this type of object in a 5" newtonian?

            You mentioned swapping eyepieces (with no affect) and checking the primary and
            secondary mirrors. Is there any other glass in the optical path? Some 4 to
            5-inch Newtonians have what is basically a barlow lens built into the focuser
            tube.

            Are the curved lines bright, or dark? And, are they sharply focused, or blurry?
            If they are blurry, can you bring them into focus by racking the focuser in and
            out? As a long shot, are there spider webs or strands of hair inside the focuser
            tube near the eyepiece?

            I'm very curious because I never seen anything remotely similar to what you
            describe in over 25 years of viewing with Newtonians. Be sure to let us know how
            this is resolved.

            John Alsobrook
            North Carolina

          • oak_conkers
            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 6, 2011
              The poster should get himself to a eye doctor, even with no real indication of a problem or history for that matter its possible to have issues going on, age can be factor as well, I went for a checkup a few years back and found out that I had the early onset of Glaucoma and two tears in mt retina,never ceases to amaze me that people will spend a fortune on astro gear yet gag when asked to part with 80 bucks or so for a annual eye check, Dave.

              --- In telescopes@yahoogroups.com, robert crews <crew9702@...> wrote:

              > Gentlemen,
              >
              > I know this sounds terribly basic, but because this "thing" moves backs and
              > forth when you move your eye back and forth, I'll speculate that this is a
              > floater in your eye. I have these too and they are harmless but annoying !
              >
              > Bob Crews
              > Louisville Ky
              >

              > ________________________________

            • JohnA
              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 7, 2011
                --- robert crews <crew9702@...> wrote:

                > I'll speculate that this is a floater in your eye.
                > I have these too and they are harmless but annoying !
                >
                > Bob Crews
                > Louisville Ky

                Bob, I had considered floaters as the cause of the OP's problem but he indicated that he saw the same shape (curved lines coming to a point) while switching back and forth with both eyes. To me, both eyes seeing the same shape at the same time doesn't really sound like floaters. I'd recommend that the OP have a second person take a peek through the scope and describe what he/she sees. If that other person sees a clear image, then the OP should schedule an eye exam. If both see the same thing, then continue troubleshooting the scope.

                John Alsobrook
                North Carolina
              • robert crews
                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 7, 2011
                  Hi John,

                  Sorry, I didn't know that "floaters" had already been considered and ruled out.
                  Most unlikely that the same shape would be floaters in each eye.

                  Probably an ophthalmologist could check out the eyeball  tissues and blood
                  vessels as part of a general exam. Of course, if another observer saw the same
                  things,that would point to an equipment problem. If it were me, I'd try several
                  eyepieces on different objects to see if the problem was the telescope or the
                  eyepiece(s).

                  Interesting question. I'd like to hear how it turns out.

                  Bob

                  ________________________________
                  > I'll speculate that this is a floater in your eye.
                  > I have these too and they are harmless but annoying !
                  >
                  > Bob Crews
                  > Louisville Ky

                  Bob, I had considered floaters as the cause of the OP's problem but he indicated
                  that he saw the same shape (curved lines coming to a point) while switching back
                  and forth with both eyes. To me, both eyes seeing the same shape at the same
                  time doesn't really sound like floaters. I'd recommend that the OP have a second
                  person take a peek through the scope and describe what he/she sees. If that
                  other person sees a clear image, then the OP should schedule an eye exam. If
                  both see the same thing, then continue troubleshooting the scope.

                  John Alsobrook
                  North Carolina

                • trulyyours05
                  Message 8 of 16 , Dec 8, 2011
                    Stan,
                    There are only two places in the telscope where there is a sharp image, the target -very distant or at infinity, and the focal plane. However, the eye and eyepiece can form sharp images consisting of the focused image, which appears to be located at the field stop, and all manner of reflections. Unless you see some debris inside the draw tube, your funny looking object must come from reflection or interactions between your eye and eyepiece. What are the focal lengths of the eyepieces that allow you to see this? Large eyepieces with a lot of glass are most likely to be involved. Do both eyes give the exact same result? Also, did you have keratotomy done on your eyes?
                    You can have scratches on the cornea, problems with the lens and floaters or a partially detached retina, etc that will cast sharp shadows on the fovea. Eye problems may be completely obscure or invisible in bright light when the iris is closed down and then become obvious when the eye is dark adapted, the iris is open and the very well collimated, soft parallel rays of light of the telescope image are projected on the retina.

                    Al

                    Message 9 of 16 , Dec 9, 2011
                      Thanks for all the suggestions. To be clear it is not when I move my eye , but rather when I move my head trying to center my eye on the eyepiece. I believe it was most obvious with jupiter and her moons, but not so much with our moon, I do not remember if I saw it while looking at distant stars.It does seam to be worse with the 6mm lense (I have a 6, 12.5, 20 and a 2x barlow)

                      I have checked in the focuser tube and could see nothing. I had my daughter try to see it the other night, but it was raining out so we were inside and I could not be sure if I could even see it.

                      Indoors when I shined the red flashlight at a wall and aimed the scope at it, then backed off about 4-6" from the 6mm lense, I thought I could see the lense bisected by a line (she could not see it). As soon as I have a good night with someone else around I will have them try to see it outdoors.

                      Sitting here at my desk, if I hold the 6mm up to a light I can see the line bisecting it with either eye. If I tip the lense side to side while holding it up to a light it looks like I might be seeing double overlaping circles of light and the edge of one circle lands in the center of the next. No one else is home right now to confirm if this is my eye or the lense. During my eye exam 2 days ago with my annual physical (with an RN not an optomotrist) I was seeing double in thier little machine too.

                      I do have Cataracs and plan to make an appointment soon to discuss removing them, I will also have to bring up the double vision! :<

                      Message 10 of 16 , Dec 9, 2011
                        Good luck with your eyes Stan. If you have cataracts removed these days the results are usually very good.

                        Al

                        --- In telescopes@yahoogroups.com, "aughtago" <stanhowe@...> wrote:

                        > Thanks for all the suggestions. To be clear it is not when I move my eye , but rather when I move my head trying to center my eye on the eyepiece. I believe it was most obvious with jupiter and her moons, but not so much with our moon, I do not remember if I saw it while looking at distant stars.It does seam to be worse with the 6mm lense (I have a 6, 12.5, 20 and a 2x barlow)
                        >

                        > I have checked in the focuser tube and could see nothing. I had my daughter try to see it the other night, but it was raining out so we were inside and I could not be sure if I could even see it.
                        >
                        > Indoors when I shined the red flashlight at a wall and aimed the scope at it, then backed off about 4-6" from the 6mm lense, I thought I could see the lense bisected by a line (she could not see it). As soon as I have a good night with someone else around I will have them try to see it outdoors.
                        >
                        > Sitting here at my desk, if I hold the 6mm up to a light I can see the line bisecting it with either eye. If I tip the lense side to side while holding it up to a light it looks like I might be seeing double overlaping circles of light and the edge of one circle lands in the center of the next. No one else is home right now to confirm if this is my eye or the lense. During my eye exam 2 days ago with my annual physical (with an RN not an optomotrist) I was seeing double in thier little machine too.
                        >
                        > I do have Cataracs and plan to make an appointment soon to discuss removing them, I will also have to bring up the double vision! :<
                        >
                        > . --- In telescopes@yahoogroups.com, "aughtago" <stanhowe@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > I see this object that appears like it is in the eyepiece. As I move my eye side to side it moves back and forth in front of my view. It looks like several curvered hairs coming downwards to a point. (maybe a chip?)
                        > > I have tried both my eyes to rule out eyelash or cataracs. I have also tried 3 different lenses, with and without the Barlow. Still there in all cases.
                        > > I inspected the primary and secondary mirrors while still outdoors using the red flashlight. I saw what looked like smutz on the edge of the secondary and tried to clean it off, but no avail.
                        > >
                        > > What causes this type of object in a 5" newtonian?

                      • Dave Dumas
                        Message 11 of 16 , Dec 12, 2011
                          Stan,
                          If your problem is just cataracts, have the surgery done. Taking care
                          of my elderly parents, they both had the surgery with great results
                          within a year of each other.
                          My Mom reported that after the surgery, the world was so BLUE again,
                          after 20 years of gradual graying. My Dad was more scared, as he was
                          born in 1932 congenitally blind in one eye. Good results for him too.
                          I'm saving $$ for a new telescope, but dipping into that fund first
                          for both new contact lenses, new spectacles, and some $5 reading
                          glasses :). A better telescope is worth zero if I can't read the
                          manual!
                          Dave, -9.5 diopters

                          --
                          Dave D.
                          ddumas@...
                          Message 12 of 16 , Dec 13, 2011
                            Hi Stan,

                            I'm late joining your thread, but I'd like to add some thoughts. Your problem has awakened some of my old Apollo and Space Shuttle launch team troubleshooting instincts, and I have a short test that may localize the problem.

                            1. Set up the telescope so you can see the offending object clearly. Have a piece of paper with two circles draw on it. Use a teacup or water glass to get circles about 2 - 3 inches in diameter. Look first with your right eye and try to draw the object, locating it properly in the field of view, and about the right size. Do the same with your left. Does it look the same with both eyes? If so, probably not your eyes.

                            2. Looking through the eyepiece with your usual eye, left or right, try to rotate your head through 90 degrees, or at least 45 - 60 degrees, all the while looking through the eyepiece. Did the object turn with your head, or did it maintain its original orientation. If it turned, it's an eye problem. If not, it's an eyepiece or telescope problem.

                            3. If it's a telescope/eyepiece problem, try this. Position your telescope where the eyepiece will stay put when you loosen its retaining screw. Loosen the screw jut a bit, and while looking through the eyepiece, gently rotate the eyepiece in its holder tube. If the object rotates with the eyepiece, it's an eyepiece problem. If not, it's a telescope problem. I don't think a telescope problem is likely, since objects on the primary or secondary mirror would not be in focus, as others have pointed out.

                            If I had to guess going in, I'd guess there is a small bit of foreign matter on the inside lens of the eyepiece. If so, you can clean it off with some lens tissue or a Q-tip moistened slightly with some lens cleaning solution. I have to do this occasionally with some of my eyepieces.

                            I want to echo the advice from others for yearly eye exams. The eyes are far more important than any telescope. But I'm a bit curious. what telescope and dydpieces are you using?

                            Finally, if you're just starting out, as I surmise, I'd like to suggest some books and stuff that have helped me along the way. For learning the constellations, and finding your way around the sky, I like H. A. Rey's "The Stars: A New Way to See Them." Rey uses stick and outline figures to depict the constellations in a way that is easy to remember, and that actually resembles their namesakes.

                            There is no better target for becoming familiar with your telescope and eyepieces than the Moon. It shows more detail than the rest of the universe combined. A good little book that will take you on nightly tours from lunation night 3 all the way to Full Moon is "Discover the Moon," by Jean Lacroux and Christian Legrand. The best feature is, that they show photographs to guide your tour with the views presented both by telescopes using a star diagonal (refractors and SCTs), and on the facing page, correct views for reflectors like yours. If you use this book for a few months, you will know your way around the Moon and your telescope.

                            To learn the faint fuzzies, galaxies, star clusters, and nebulae, Gary Seronik's "Binocular Highlights" is a good starter book. It's quite useful with a small telescope, too. Another good start book for deep sky faint fuzzies is Phil Harrington's "Star Watch."

                            I hope this information is useful to you. Let us know how things progress for you.

                            Bill

                            --- In telescopes@yahoogroups.com, "aughtago" <stanhowe@...> wrote:

                            > I see this object that appears like it is in the eyepiece. As I move my eye side to side it moves back and forth in front of my view. It looks like several curvered hairs coming downwards to a point. (maybe a chip?)
                            > I have tried both my eyes to rule out eyelash or cataracs. I have also tried 3 different lenses, with and without the Barlow. Still there in all cases.
                            > I inspected the primary and secondary mirrors while still outdoors using the red flashlight. I saw what looked like smutz on the edge of the secondary and tried to clean it off, but no avail.
                            >
                            > What causes this type of object in a 5" newtonian?

                          • Fred Lieberman
                            Message 13 of 16 , Dec 14, 2011
                              Do not rule out a hair or a spider filament. In a darken room, shine a
                              narrow beam (Mini Maglite) on each mirrored surface or any other glass
                              surface you suspect, even your diagonal.

                              Fred
                            • lenny
                              Message 14 of 16 , Dec 16, 2011
                                --- In telescopes@yahoogroups.com, Fred Lieberman <quartz@...> wrote:

                                > Do not rule out a hair or a spider filament. In a darken room, shine a
                                > narrow beam (Mini Maglite) on each mirrored surface or any other glass
                                > surface you suspect, even your diagonal.
                                >
                                > Fred

                                Hi Fred:

                                I have a nice 9MM Ortho eyepiece that has a small bit of filament/dust visible while holding the EP at a certain angle under strong light. The object is located at the edge of the FOV and lodged between the lenses. I believe it was there at purchase. However, I have not noticed it adversely effecting the view unless it is directly over the object. At that point there is a very slight, short bit of distortion. That probably would have went unnoticed except I was already aware of the embedded filament/dust. I do not think it resembled the poster's description. However, that does not mean you are not correct. There are probably untold reasons as to why the contaminant in my ep does not cause a lot of distortion. I only brought this up to show that dust and dirt can work its way inside the FOV of even a very good EP.

                                Lenny
                              • Fred Lieberman
                                Message 15 of 16 , Dec 16, 2011
                                  Thanks for the feedback, Lenny.

                                  Best...

                                  Fred

                                  On Fri, 2011-12-16 at 22:54 +0000, lenny wrote:

                                  > --- In telescopes@yahoogroups.com, Fred Lieberman <quartz@...> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > Do not rule out a hair or a spider filament. In a darken room, shine a
                                  > > narrow beam (Mini Maglite) on each mirrored surface or any other glass
                                  > > surface you suspect, even your diagonal.
                                  > >
                                  > > Fred
                                  > >
                                  > Hi Fred:
                                  >
                                  > I have a nice 9MM Ortho eyepiece that has a small bit of filament/dust visible while holding the EP at a certain angle under strong light. The object is located at the edge of the FOV and lodged between the lenses. I believe it was there at purchase. However, I have not noticed it adversely effecting the view unless it is directly over the object. At that point there is a very slight, short bit of distortion. That probably would have went unnoticed except I was already aware of the embedded filament/dust. I do not think it resembled the poster's description. However, that does not mean you are not correct. There are probably untold reasons as to why the contaminant in my ep does not cause a lot of distortion. I only brought this up to show that dust and dirt can work its way inside the FOV of even a very good EP.
                                  >
                                  > Lenny

                                • aughtago
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Apr 7, 2012
                                    Update for those who tried to help and suggested the problem with my eyes- You were right!
                                    It Has been confirmed by 2 eye doctors that I have "Vertical Spoke Cataracts" in each eye. They are right in the center of my vision, and rare for a man my age. The last doctor I spoke to confirmed that it would result in the object I saw in the scope and the left eye also has a stigmatism which will result in slight blury double vision.

                                    Surgery is scheduled for the right eye on May 21st with the left eye to follow sometime after that. I have already decided to spend the extra $1000 on the premium lens in the left eye which will correct the stigmatism and should get my eyes to near perfect distance vision. I Will still need glasses for reading. I can't wait to try the scope after surgery.