What three eyepiece sizes would you choose?

  • sirbassalot55
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 5, 2011
      If you only could own three eyepieces for a low powered refractor what three sizes would you own?
      In my case I have a 80mm short tube refractor that came with a 9mm and 20mm so I'm thinking something somewhere in the middle.
      I picked up the short tube (love it) after having too many culmination problems with giant binos in the affordable price range so I decided to stay with my 10x50s and get the short tube.
      thanks
      tony f
    • Doug
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 5, 2011
        Something in a 13-14mm I think.
        Doug

        --
        Doug
        Truckstop Astronomer

      • Peter W
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 5, 2011
          My third would be a Barlow.

          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 5, 2011
            Right now your 20mm will give 20x. Your 9mm will give 44x.
            A 6mm will give you 67x. A 32mm will give you 12.5x.
            A 2x barlow will give you 40x and 88x. If you�re looking
            for a wide field, the 32mm would be a good choice.
            Higher power either a 6mm or the 2x barlow.

            Jerome Bigge

            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 6, 2011
              Can you suggest an affordable barlow (shorty or long?) that would work well with my short focal length?

              Tony F.

              --- In telescopes@yahoogroups.com, "Jerome Bigge" <jeromebigge@...> wrote:

              > Right now your 20mm will give 20x. Your 9mm will give 44x.
              > A 6mm will give you 67x. A 32mm will give you 12.5x.
              > A 2x barlow will give you 40x and 88x. If you're looking
              > for a wide field, the 32mm would be a good choice.
              > Higher power either a 6mm or the 2x barlow.
              >
              > Jerome Bigge

            • Geoff Gaherty
              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 6, 2011
                On 06/09/11 9:42 AM, sirbassalot55 wrote:
                > Can you suggest an affordable barlow (shorty or long?) that would work well with my short focal length?

                It's worth spending a bit more on a really good Barlow because it's
                something you will use with all your eyepieces now and in the future,
                and you want minimum degradation of images. Because you're using a
                refractor, a short Barlow is desirable; otherwise you run into trouble
                with the diagonal. The Barlow which everyone regards highly is imported
                by various companies under various names, such as Celestron Ultima and
                Orion Shorty Plus.

                Geoff

                --
                Geoff Gaherty
                Foxmead Observatory
                Message 7 of 15 , Sep 6, 2011
                  I think the best barlow I�ve seen
                  recommended is the Orion Shorty
                  Plus which lists for $84.95.

                  Jerome Bigge, Libertarian

                  Can you suggest an affordable barlow (shorty or long?) that would work
                  well with my short focal length?

                  Tony F.

                  --- In mailto:telescopes%40yahoogroups.com, "Jerome Bigge"
                  <jeromebigge@...> wrote:

                  > Right now your 20mm will give 20x. Your 9mm will give 44x.
                  > A 6mm will give you 67x. A 32mm will give you 12.5x.
                  > A 2x barlow will give you 40x and 88x. If you're looking
                  > for a wide field, the 32mm would be a good choice.
                  > Higher power either a 6mm or the 2x barlow.
                  >
                  > Jerome Bigge

                • sirbassalot55
                  Message 8 of 15 , Sep 6, 2011
                    Now that I'm thinking about I think with the two eyepieces I have the barlow doesn't give me anything. I have a 9mm which using with a barlow would take me beyond what my scope can deliver and I have a 20mm which the barlow would make 10mm but I already have a 9mm. I'm leaning more to a 13 or 14mm at this point but still open minded and welcome all opinions.

                    tony f

                    --- In telescopes@yahoogroups.com, "Jerome Bigge" <jeromebigge@...> wrote:

                    > I think the best barlow I've seen
                    > recommended is the Orion Shorty
                    > Plus which lists for $84.95.
                    >
                    > Jerome Bigge, Libertarian

                  • Scott Holland
                    Message 9 of 15 , Sep 9, 2011
                      With my 85mm f7 I use a 26mm, a 7mm, and a 4.9mm with a 2.5X barlow. Works
                      on everything from wide field clusters to Jupiter, Saturn, and planetary
                      nebula.

                      Scott

                      Message 10 of 15 , Sep 10, 2011
                        Are you sure your scope won't support 88x? Have you tried magnifications over 100? Borrow a 3mm and have a look.

                        Al

                        --- In telescopes@yahoogroups.com, "sirbassalot55" <amfooch@...> wrote:

                        > Now that I'm thinking about I think with the two eyepieces I have the barlow doesn't give me anything. I have a 9mm which using with a barlow would take me beyond what my scope can deliver and I have a 20mm which the barlow would make 10mm but I already have a 9mm. I'm leaning more to a 13 or 14mm at this point but still open minded and welcome all opinions.
                        >
                        > tony f
                        >

                        > --- In telescopes@yahoogroups.com, "Jerome Bigge" <jeromebigge@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > I think the best barlow I've seen
                        > > recommended is the Orion Shorty
                        > > Plus which lists for $84.95.
                        > >
                        > > Jerome Bigge, Libertarian

                      • Jack & Lynn Kramer
                        Message 11 of 15 , Sep 10, 2011
                          From: "trulyyours05" <trulyyours05@...>
                          > Are you sure your scope won't support 88x? Have you tried magnifications
                          > over 100? Borrow a 3mm and have a look.

                          It depends pretty much on whether his 80mm scope is an apochromat or
                          achromat. If it's an apo, then it should support 88x.

                          Jack Kramer
                          Lily Lake, Illinois
                        • Geoff Gaherty
                          Message 12 of 15 , Sep 10, 2011
                            On 10/09/11 10:04 AM, Jack & Lynn Kramer wrote:
                            > It depends pretty much on whether his 80mm scope is an apochromat or
                            > achromat. If it's an apo, then it should support 88x.

                            My Orion 80mm ED refractor can tolerate magnifications up to 150x; my
                            Orion 80mm f/5 achromat could go up to about 100x, but only after I took
                            some pressure off the objective in its over-tightened cell. Mind you,
                            the ED produces a much cleaner image at 150x than the achromat did at 100x.

                            Geoff

                            --
                            Geoff Gaherty
                            Foxmead Observatory
                            Message 13 of 15 , Sep 10, 2011
                              My short tube is a 400mm, f/5 achromatic refractor. What do you think the max x is on it?
                              tony f

                              --- In telescopes@yahoogroups.com, Geoff Gaherty <geoff@...> wrote:

                              > On 10/09/11 10:04 AM, Jack & Lynn Kramer wrote:
                              > > It depends pretty much on whether his 80mm scope is an apochromat or
                              > > achromat. If it's an apo, then it should support 88x.
                              >
                              > My Orion 80mm ED refractor can tolerate magnifications up to 150x; my
                              > Orion 80mm f/5 achromat could go up to about 100x, but only after I took
                              > some pressure off the objective in its over-tightened cell. Mind you,
                              > the ED produces a much cleaner image at 150x than the achromat did at 100x.
                              >
                              > Geoff
                              >
                              > --
                              > Geoff Gaherty
                              > Foxmead Observatory
                              > Coldwater, Ontario, Canada
                              > http://www.gaherty.ca

                            • Jack & Lynn Kramer
                              Message 14 of 15 , Sep 10, 2011
                                From: "sirbassalot55" <amfooch@...>
                                > My short tube is a 400mm, f/5 achromatic refractor. What do you think the
                                > max x is on it?

                                The rule of thumb is that the maximum magnification for a scope is about 50
                                power per inch of aperture, which translates to 150x for an 80mm. But that
                                doesn't take into consideration a lot of factors such as the quality of the
                                optics and focal ratio. I got satisfying images at 120x on my old 80mm
                                achromat, but it was an f/11. With an f/5 there's going to be a lot more
                                chromatic aberration, for one thing. It really boils down to your tolerance
                                for image degradation at higher powers. Obviously, the sharpness of the
                                image is one thing that suffers. As Geoff said, he used 100x on his 80mm
                                achromat, but I sense that he wasn't that thrilled with the images he got.

                                Jack Kramer
                                Lily Lake, Illinois
                              • Jerome Bigge
                                Message 15 of 15 , Sep 10, 2011
                                  There are a number of 80 F5 scopes out there.
                                  The quality varies. A lot depends on the optics.
                                  I bought mine on eBay from �Taximarket�. I knew
                                  what I was dealing with and I�m satisfied with what
                                  I got. At low powers, it�s OK. Nice for bird watching
                                  and such at 16X. Highest power I use with it is 44x.
                                  The Moon picture I took through it was with a 32mm
                                  Plossel (12.5x) using a Canon A495 digital camera.
                                  Cropped the photo down to increase image size.
                                  This was zoomed out (3.3x) on "spot metering"

                                  Jerome Bigge

                                  --- In mailto:telescopes%40yahoogroups.com, Geoff Gaherty <geoff@...>