RE: [Telescopes] Anchoring a mirror with silicone

  • Bill Frank
    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 1, 2009
      You can use silicone to anchor your mirror, that is what I used to anchor my
      conical mirror in my Celestron Starhopper. But you it is recommended you
      use a type of silicone by GE if I remember correctly. I will follow up with
      the type of silicone I used a little later. I should still have the tube
      left, but it's out in the garage where I store my 'scopes. I believe it was
      Discover [sic] Telescopes that told me what to use. I don't know how it
      will stick to wood, but the silicone I used was made for using on glass.
      What I do remember is the silicone is black and stays pliable. I have had
      no trouble with my mirror since reinstalling two years ago.
      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 1, 2009
        Dave wrote:
        > Next question: I am going to try a method of anchoring the mirror to a
        > thick wooden disk using aquarium grade silicone. Obviously this sticks
        > well to glass (and stays stuck), but how well does it stick to wood? Do
        > I need to prep the wood in some way, or do something to help the
        > silicone blob get a "bite" ?
        >
        > Also, how well does silicone hold a mirror laterally? Would a 10" x
        > 1-5/8" mirror still need a sling or something to guarantee immovability ?

        It's important to use the right quantity of silicone, if you ever want
        to remove the mirror from the cell (as you will need to do eventually
        for washing and realuminizing. I had tremendous difficulty remove the
        primary from a 10" Meade Starfinder Dob because they used three dabs of
        silicone each 3" in diameter. Peter Ceravolo uses silicone to mount his
        mirrors, and uses three pea-sized drops, which give adequate support and
        are easy to cut through to remove the mirror.

        Geoff

        --
        Geoff Gaherty
        Foxmead Observatory
        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 1, 2009
          In the days when I built speaker systems, I found that silicone, clear type,
          would hold a very heavy 12" woofer to a wooden speaker box with no problem.
          Once it set, you didn't even need screws to help it hold the speaker. I'm
          talking weights up to 20lbs or so. So I figure it is good for a mirror too.
          Doug

          --
          Doug
          Truckstop Astronomer

        • Rick Jack
          Message 4 of 17 , Sep 1, 2009
            Hi,
              I don't think you want to use a silicone product like RTV because it out-gasses and might effect your coatings.
             I attach my mirrors using 3M double sided foam tape (about 1/8" thick") and use small fingers with rubber or cork pads to hold it down.
             For your primary I recommend using the 9 point flotation point pattern (shown in ATM books) or at the least three points 120 degrees apart 2/3 of the distance from center.
            Rick