Re: [Telescopes] 8 inch F/7 Newt on CG5 Mount

  • Rick Jack
    Message 1 of 8 , May 2, 2009
      Hi,
       I guess this has been already answered but I'll add my two cents. I own a 8" f7 (home built) and a CG5 is too wimpy of a mount for it. You'll need a Losmandy G11 or better to do it justice. I have mine mounted on a old Cave Astrola mount. A 8" f7 is not only a good planetary scope but a great imaging scope because it has a larger usable field and smaller diagonal obstruction that the faster ratios.
       Hope you enjoy what ever you wind up with.
      Rick

      From: barefootgirl48 <barefootgirl48@...>
      Subject: [Telescopes] 8 inch F/7 Newt on CG5 Mount
      To: telescopes@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Monday, April 27, 2009, 7:34 PM

      Hi all, thank you for having me in your group. My question is, will my Celestron CG5 Advanced(the newer version)mount support an 8 inch F/7 Discovery OTA that i am considering having custom built. I am told by Discovery that the tube is only 8 inches longer then the F/6 ones, and that they are made of very light weight material. I really want a good scope for lunar/planetary views, and am told that Discovery makes mirrors a notch above the mass produced ones, which tend to be F/6 or lower. Thank you in advance for any input and clear skies!