Re: [Telescopes] Re: Mosquitos....how to beat.

  • Doug Bailey
    Message 1 of 23 , Mar 31, 2008
      Yeah, I live in Louisiana, and we use it for that and against gnats. It really works.
      Doug

      Message 2 of 23 , Apr 1 3:14 AM
        It didn't work at all for our mosquitoes here. IIRC, when tested
        against DEET it repelled the buggers for about 1/10 the time of 12.5%
        DEET (Consumers Union). That was the original version, the latest
        version includes citronella, a mild repellent, so should work a little
        better.

        It's worth a try, some swear by it, but here it is like using nothing
        at all.

        Paul Gustafson

        > Yeah, I live in Louisiana, and we use it for that and against gnats.
        > > Avon product "skin so soft".
      • Mike Morris
        Message 3 of 23 , Apr 1 5:05 AM
          The last time Consumer Reports rated spray and lotion repellents
          they liked the repellents that used Picardin.

          Although, Picardin is not as effective as DEET and must be applied
          more often, it does not affect plastic and leather like DEET can. I
          used this last Summer in Atlanta, Georgia. Although it was not
          perfect, I believe that it worked very well.

          If you will go to the Personal Repellents Section after following
          the link below you will see three options for Cutter Advanced with
          Picardin. I use the pump spray bottle which is the fifth selection
          from the top.

          http://www.cutterinsectrepellent.com/ProductCategories/

          Best Wishes,
          Mike Morris

          --- In telescopes@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Gustafson" <laservet@...>
          wrote:

          > It didn't work at all for our mosquitoes here. IIRC, when tested
          > against DEET it repelled the buggers for about 1/10 the time of
          12.5%
          > DEET (Consumers Union). That was the original version, the latest
          > version includes citronella, a mild repellent, so should work a
          little
          > better.
          >
          > It's worth a try, some swear by it, but here it is like using
          nothing
          > at all.
          >
          > Paul Gustafson
          >
          > > Yeah, I live in Louisiana, and we use it for that and against
          gnats.
          > > > Avon product "skin so soft".

        • Doug Bailey
          Message 4 of 23 , Apr 1 5:16 AM
            Used it in the marsh, and down on the coast, worked fine.
            Doug

            It didn't work at all for our mosquitoes here. IIRC, when tested
            against DEET it repelled the buggers for about 1/10 the time of 12.5%
            DEET (Consumers Union). That was the original version, the latest
            version includes citronella, a mild repellent, so should work a little
            better.

            It's worth a try, some swear by it, but here it is like using nothing
            at all.

            Paul Gustafson

            > Yeah, I live in Louisiana, and we use it for that and against gnats.
            > > Avon product "skin so soft".

          • Paul Gustafson
            Message 5 of 23 , Apr 2 3:07 AM
              Doug Bailey <baileydoug76@...> wrote:

              > Used it in the marsh, and down on the coast, worked fine.
              > > > Avon product "skin so soft".

              Nothing to lose by trying it, other than smelling like the governor's
              girlfriend. ;-)

              Paul Gustafson
            • badger_al
              Message 6 of 23 , Apr 2 10:40 AM
                The DEET we use in our job is 100%. It works well, but I am afraid
                for my lenses.

                I will try some of the newer ones this year.

                SC Johnson has a real great group of Mosquito experts working on new
                products. I almost got a job there years ago!

                Northen MN and WI can be brutal at times in summer. I have been in
                situations where 100% DEET or not, one could not stay outside. And
                the mosquito hum outside the screen windows was loud enough to be
                annoying alone.

                If God created man, then Satan must have created the Mosquito! IMHO,
                of course.

                Never tried the Avon product. I might try mixing in a little of my
                100% DEET with it.

                In WI, one should also use Permanone to keep ticks from crawling up
                your pants legs. Lyme disease! Real bad if one gets it.

                wrote:

                > Doug Bailey <baileydoug76@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Used it in the marsh, and down on the coast, worked fine.
                >
                > Nothing to lose by trying it, other than smelling like the
                governor's
                > girlfriend. ;-)
                >
                > Paul Gustafson

              • Shawn Haggerty
                Message 7 of 23 , Apr 4 2:21 PM
                  Talk about Wisconsin mosquitos!
                  I just watched the Brewers sting the SF Giants to death 13 to4 on MLB.TV! Gonna need some strong repellent! Shawn Haggerty Avignon, France

                  Yeah, I live in Louisiana, and we use it for that and against gnats. It really works.
                  Doug

                  > I am moving to northern Wisconsin in a few months, and I was
                  wondering

                  hey all,
                  i finally decided to chime in on this topic. i grew up in Ohio and
                  now live in central Florida. i have been an avid outdoorsman my
                  entire life and i cant believe none of you have yet mentioned the
                  Avon product "skin so soft". i thought it was common knowledge that
                  this product is one of the best mosquito repellants ever. many pro
                  fishermen swear by this product. in fact this product became so
                  popular as an insect repellant that Avon now has a version packaged
                  and sold as such. here is a link to the product page.
                  http://www.avon com/1/3/avon- skin-so-soft- mosquitos- flies
                  my mother was an Avon lady when i was growing up so i used this
                  product a lot and will happily endorse it. one strange thing is that
                  now for some reason mosquitos don't bother me at all and this annoys
                  my friends to no end. anyway it does work and if you google "skin so
                  soft" you will see just how well known it is as a repellant.

                  Jeff S. Tampa Fla.

                  http://tc.deals yahoo.com/ tc/blockbuster/ text4.com

                • Mike
                  Message 8 of 23 , Apr 5 7:59 AM
                    I live in Wisconsin (Milwaukee( and we go to bong state park in
                    Kenosha and 100% DEET doesnt even work so any help will be
                    appreciated ,, I will be going to Bong tonight as the will weather is
                    finally getting better..
                  • Rosanna Stout
                    Message 9 of 23 , Apr 5 9:24 AM
                      Michigan isn't any better with all our inland lakes and swamps...

                      On Sat, Apr 5, 2008 at 9:59 AM, Mike <makmanmike@...> wrote:

                      > I live in Wisconsin (Milwaukee( and we go to bong state park in
                      > Kenosha and 100% DEET doesnt even work so any help will be
                      > appreciated ,, I will be going to Bong tonight as the will weather is
                      > finally getting better..

                    • Chris Baker
                      Message 10 of 23 , Apr 5 3:13 PM
                        Mike,
                        May sound crazy but have you tried skinso soft from Avon. We used it in the Corps, it won't keep critters off but will usually keep them from biting.
                        Chris

                        Message 11 of 23 , Apr 6 2:24 PM
                          MakMan...we used to launch homemade rockets at Bong. Back in 65-73 era.

                          Got some to 10,000 ft. Lost a few, too! Some lucky hunter or farmer
                          found some good rockets.

                          AL

                          --- In telescopes@yahoogroups.com, "Mike" <makmanmike@...> wrote:

                          > I live in Wisconsin (Milwaukee( and we go to bong state park in
                          > Kenosha and 100% DEET doesnt even work so any help will be
                          > appreciated ,, I will be going to Bong tonight as the will weather is
                          > finally getting better..

                        • chevypirate00
                          Message 12 of 23 , Apr 21 5:36 AM
                            --- In telescopes@yahoogroups.com, Chris Baker <chris.baker30@...>
                            wrote:

                            > I live in Florida not too far from a beautiful little swamp, where
                            those buggers grow up equipped with infrared tracking and side-
                            swipping radar and 5 or 6 working together can pick you up and tote
                            you off. Bullfrog SPF 30 my friend. You may think I'm nuts and you'd
                            wouldn't get any arguments from me but this stuff is great at the
                            beach or on the boat all day long and if you coat yourself before a
                            night out under the heavens not a bug alive will come near you!! If
                            they won't here in Florida they won't anywhere. Even the dog avoids
                            me when I have it on....lol.
                            Brian