Re: Looking for advice on a good case for my eyepieces

  • John Bambury
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 1, 2007
      --- In telescopes@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin Penner" <Kevin@...> wrote:

      > I have been thinking about upgrading from my plastic cooler to
      > something a little more.. shall we say "better". The small cooler is
      > packed with $1500 worth of glass and I suspect should not be all
      dumped
      > together like a bunch of lego pieces.
      >
      > Anyways.. Suggestions? I have been thinking about a Pelican 1600.
      >
      > I have about 6 or 7 - 2" Monsters and about the same number of 1
      1/4.
      > I also use a parrcor, Big Barrlow and some filters.
      >
      > Thanks

      I have several thousand dollars worth of Naglers, Pentax XW's, UO HD
      orthos along with a lot of other bits and pieces, shoehorned into a
      Pelican 1600 case. The case itself is absolutely oustanding.
      Exceptional quality. I can't think of a better way to protect a
      significant investment. I have attached 2 photographs in the
      photographs section under "Bamburys Eyepiece Case".

      ***ONE BIG PROBLEM*** It is exceptionally heavy, probably over 40
      pounds with what I have in it. If I had my time again I would go with
      two smaller Pelican cases.

      Cheers
      John Bambury
    • Taylor J. Barton
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 1, 2007
        --- In telescopes@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin Penner" <Kevin@...> wrote:

        > I have been thinking about upgrading from my plastic cooler to
        > ... a Pelican 1600.

        I strongly support this suggestion and John's advice! The Pelicans
        are effectively waterproof and extremely shock-resistant (if you
        preserve enough space between the items in the foam inserts).

        I use a Pelican case for this purpose (I think it's a 15xx model,
        can't remember the exact number) that has wheels and a popup handle.
        I use a tiny Pelican case to hold my two 2" dielectric diagonals, and
        an even smaller one to hold my Baader grating spectroscope, and a
        similar one to hold my Baader Herschel wedge and its filters. I just
        bought a huge, wheeled Pelican case (used) to hold my two Coronado
        PSTs, an 80mm white-light solar telescope, and a Losmandy triple side-
        by-side dovetail mount for them.

        I don't consider it wasteful to spend a couple hundred dollars on a
        case for $1,500 worth of optical systems!

        A few years ago I was using a wheeled toolbox to hold my eyepieces
        (in the top tray) and binoculars, charts, etc. in the big lower
        compartment. One night a summer thunderstorm sent wind-driven rain
        into this case and it took me almost a week to get everything dried
        out and reassembled properly (luckily I only ruined some paper charts
        and one inexpensive Plossl eyepiece I used for solar projection). I
        bought my first Pelican case the next payday!

        Jeff Barton
      • Paul Gustafson
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 1, 2007
          "John Bambury" <jbambury@...> wrote:
          > I have several thousand dollars worth of Naglers, Pentax XW's, UO
          HD
          > orthos along with a lot of other bits and pieces, shoehorned into a
          > Pelican 1600 case. The case itself is absolutely oustanding.
          > Exceptional quality. I can't think of a better way to protect a
          > significant investment. I have attached 2 photographs in the
          > photographs section under "Bamburys Eyepiece Case".
          >
          > ***ONE BIG PROBLEM*** It is exceptionally heavy, probably over 40
          > pounds with what I have in it. If I had my time again I would go
          with
          > two smaller Pelican cases.

          I agree with John. Pelican and Storm cases are cheap insurance given
          the value of their contents. I have used a 1600 and a 1650 as
          eyepiece cases and found the weight problem too great for my taste
          (and back). I put my eyepieces in two 1550's, nice balance of weight
          and capacity.

          http://gallery.photo.net/photo/6368250-lg.jpg

          I also use the eyepiece cases as footstools and seating in the field,
          and they are completely waterproof so on those dewey nights when
          everything is sopping wet my eyepieces are nice and toasty dry. Last
          year my house was smashed by hurricane Ernesto. Several days later
          one of my Pelican cases was pulled out from under a mass of mud, tree
          limbs, 2x4's, wet blown insulation, wet sheet rock, and other nasty
          muck. The contents were dry and undisturbed.

          Paul Gustafson
        • teladoc
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 1, 2007
            I also have the Pentax eyepiece collection. I have stored them a couple
            of ways over the years. But the one that I just love and use the most
            is a small soft sided case that only holds five eyepieces. I bought
            mine at the Black forest star party from smart astronomy. It has holes
            for either the size eyepiece I find that if you take out the two inch
            plug the pentax fits just great. The case has a shoulder strap on it. I
            use the strap to fasten it onto the ladder shelf made for a paint
            bucket. This way the eyepieces are right there at hand but always has
            the cover over them to protect them from the dew. I find that the five
            eyepices are plunty for most observing conditions. If I need one of the
            other ones they are still handy and dry in the back of the truck. It so
            much nicer then having the big cases of eyepieces out by the scope to
            worry about.
            Robert
          • André Heijkoop
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 1, 2007
              Hi Kevin,

              Here is my solution with a Pelican 1510 case:

              <http://tinyurl.com/25vp3c> http://tinyurl.com/25vp3c

              Greetings,

              André Heijkoop
              Strijen
              Netherlands

              51º 44’ 26" N
              04º 33’ 23" E

              <http://astrosurf.com/aheijkoop/> http://astrosurf.com/aheijkoop/

              "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away"

              I have been thinking about upgrading from my plastic cooler to
              something a little more.. shall we say "better". The small cooler is
              packed with $1500 worth of glass and I suspect should not be all dumped
              together like a bunch of lego pieces.

              Anyways.. Suggestions? I have been thinking about a Pelican 1600.

              I have about 6 or 7 - 2" Monsters and about the same number of 1 1/4.
              I also use a parrcor, Big Barrlow and some filters.

              Thanks

            • Florian
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 1, 2007
                Here is my TV76 in its Pelican 1500...

                http://www.flickr.com/photos/fboyd/866663685/

                .Florian
              • Graydon
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 1, 2007
                  Depending on where you live you may find the waterproof cases made by
                  UK Products Canada equivalent or lower cost than the Pelican. Both
                  are waterproof and very rugged. Here is a link.

                  http://www.underwaterkineticscanada.com/products/cases/

                  --- In telescopes@yahoogroups.com, "Taylor J. Barton"
                  <chipdatajeffb@...> wrote:

                  > --- In telescopes@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin Penner" <Kevin@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I have been thinking about upgrading from my plastic cooler to
                  > > ... a Pelican 1600.
                  > >
                  > I strongly support this suggestion and John's advice! The Pelicans
                  > are effectively waterproof and extremely shock-resistant (if you
                  > preserve enough space between the items in the foam inserts).
                  >
                  > I use a Pelican case for this purpose (I think it's a 15xx model,
                  > can't remember the exact number) that has wheels and a popup
                  handle.
                  > I use a tiny Pelican case to hold my two 2" dielectric diagonals,
                  and
                  > an even smaller one to hold my Baader grating spectroscope, and a
                  > similar one to hold my Baader Herschel wedge and its filters. I
                  just
                  > bought a huge, wheeled Pelican case (used) to hold my two Coronado
                  > PSTs, an 80mm white-light solar telescope, and a Losmandy triple
                  side-
                  > by-side dovetail mount for them.
                  >
                  > I don't consider it wasteful to spend a couple hundred dollars on a
                  > case for $1,500 worth of optical systems!
                  >
                  > A few years ago I was using a wheeled toolbox to hold my eyepieces
                  > (in the top tray) and binoculars, charts, etc. in the big lower
                  > compartment. One night a summer thunderstorm sent wind-driven rain
                  > into this case and it took me almost a week to get everything dried
                  > out and reassembled properly (luckily I only ruined some paper
                  charts
                  > and one inexpensive Plossl eyepiece I used for solar projection). I
                  > bought my first Pelican case the next payday!
                  >
                  > Jeff Barton

                • John Alsobrook
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 1, 2007
                    --- "teladoc" <rpayne721@...> wrote:

                    > I also have the Pentax eyepiece collection. I have stored them
                    > a couple of ways over the years. But the one that I just love
                    > and use the most is a small soft sided case that only holds
                    > five eyepieces. I bought mine at the Black forest star party
                    > from smart astronomy.
                    > Robert

                    Robert, I like the looks of that soft case. I assume yours is the same
                    model which Smart Astronomy is currently selling on ebay, item #
                    7620957692 for $22 + $7 shipping.

                    Although I am going to modify a toolbox, adding a wood insert as Jim
                    suggested, for holding all my eyepieces and gear, that softcase looks
                    awfully darned handy. It looks like it would be easy to attach to the
                    front of the rocker box on my XT10i or strap to the tripod of my SCT.
                    Gotta give that a try. Thanks for the tip.

                    John - North Carolina
                  • paul_winalski
                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 4, 2007
                      --- In telescopes@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin Penner" <Kevin@...> wrote:

                      > I have been thinking about upgrading from my plastic cooler to
                      > something a little more.. shall we say "better". The small cooler is
                      > packed with $1500 worth of glass and I suspect should not be all dumped
                      > together like a bunch of lego pieces.
                      >
                      > Anyways.. Suggestions? I have been thinking about a Pelican 1600.
                      >
                      > I have about 6 or 7 - 2" Monsters and about the same number of 1 1/4.
                      > I also use a parrcor, Big Barrlow and some filters.

                      I keep my eyepieces in a Pelican 1500 case. I would recommend the
                      Pelican cases without reservation. Construction, ruggedness,
                      reliability are all top-rate.

                      Clear skies,

                      -Paul W.
                    • Gregg
                      Message 10 of 11 , Sep 4, 2007
                        My Orion black plastic case has open spaces for 9 two inch (three laid
                        down) and 7 small eyepieces. Their newer case now comes in metal
                        binding in three sizes, $27 to $50. There is also a "waist case" for
                        only three large and four small, at $35.