Re: Konus Still Bad?

  • jd_astro
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 31, 2006
      Hi Carlos-
      For $499 Orion Telescopes and Binoculars has several reflectors with
      good reputations, especially in the Dobsonian style. Take a look at
      those befroe buying a Konus.

      Jim

      --- In telescopes@yahoogroups.com, "Carlos Hernandez" <chernan796@...>
      wrote:

      > I was flipping thru a Night Sky Magazine while waiting for my son to
      > get ready to drive back to college and ran into an ad from an outfit
      > callled "astronomics" that advertises these Konus telescopes at pretty
      > good prices.
      >
      > The 8" Konus reflector at $499 seems like a pretty good deal.
      >
      > However, conversations in our forum dating back to mid last year are
      > pretty clear that at that point, these Konus scopes were not up to
      > par.
      >
      > Has anyone had recent experience with these scopes?
      >
      > Regards
      > Carlos R. Hernandez

    • Phil Harrington
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 1, 2006
        Carlos,

        To carry on Jim's recommendation, which I agree with, if you want an
        equatorial mount, for $599 you can buy the Orion SkyView Pro 8.
        That's an excellent tube assembly and the mount is better than the
        Konus mount.

        I also see that Orion currently has a "free shipping" promotion on
        their web site. Whether or not that covers scopes, I don't know.
        But if it does, then the price difference is going to be even less.

        Phil
        Phil Harrington
        Author, Star Ware
        http://www.philharrington.net