sky and telescope chart carrier

  • Jim Jefferis
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 31, 2006
      I just received a set of unbound Sky Atlas 2000 charts and I am considering
      buying the "Sky and Telescope Deluxe Chart Carrier" to store them and
      protect from dew while using them. Does anyone use this product and would
      you recommend it?

      Thanks.

      Jim Jefferis

      Rochester, NY

    • Peter Argenziano
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 1, 2006
        Jim,

        I used to have a set of unbound SA2k charts (now use Uranometria). I had them spiral bound and carried them in the carrier you mentioned. It worked out quite well. Dew isn't a problem here in the desert, but the case worked quite well nonetheless.

        Peter

      • nlmontreal
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 1, 2006
          Hi,

          I was thinking of buying this for my SA2000 laminated charts but they
          did not have it in stock here in our local astronomy shop in Montreal.
          But they told to go in a photo shop and buy a portfolio carrier.

          I did that and paid less than half the price. But I picked the cheapest
          model that didn't have any plastic transparent sheet to protect the
          charts, because I did not need that since my charts are laminated. But
          there was also a model with transparent sheets that was still cheaper
          than the S&T model. So you can check it out if your wish. Otherwise I
          guess the S&T model is nice I guess.

          Normand
          Montreal

          --- In telescopes@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Jefferis" <jimjefferis@...>
          wrote:

          > I just received a set of unbound Sky Atlas 2000 charts and I am
          considering
          > buying the "Sky and Telescope Deluxe Chart Carrier" to store them and
          > protect from dew while using them. Does anyone use this product and
          would
          > you recommend it?
        • scotttannehill2000
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 1, 2006
            I use it. Or, rather, I have it. Works fine. Lamination is best
            guard against dew. plus you can wirte with a grease-pencil and wipe
            it off without fear of residual stain. Like it better than the dry
            erase markers for that. The carrier is kinda big and unwieldy if you
            ask me, but as good as you'll find for transporting them. All the
            art-work portfolios I saw were more money, adn larger. After the
            charts myself I bought these heavy-duty rings, and punched three
            holes in the top of each chart. My own home-brewed three-ring
            binder set-up. Rings permit one to remove chart(s) from the ringed
            set, but I don't often. This way I can keep them "in order" and just
            flip through them. I don't have the southern hemisphere in the set,
            so it's lighter. But I, also, tend to use the book-based resources
            more (Uranometria).

            st

            wrote:

            > I just received a set of unbound Sky Atlas 2000 charts and I am
            considering
            > buying the "Sky and Telescope Deluxe Chart Carrier" to store them
            and
            > protect from dew while using them. Does anyone use this product
            and would
            > you recommend it?
          • Jim Jefferis