Re: Orion Stratus under the stars - or other wide-angle eyepiece

  • donaudy
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 1, 2006
      --- In telescopes@yahoogroups.com, Geoff Gaherty <geoff@...> wrote:

      > nlmontreal wrote:
      > > And I came across a used Meade 24.5mm SWA.
      >
      > I actually have two of these (for my binoviewer). I've always liked this
      > eyepiece a lot. Many say it isn't as sharp as the Panoptic 24, but I've always
      > been happy with it.
      >
      > Geoff

      Geoff,

      What scope do you use these with? In particular, what is the f/ratio? I've used this
      eyepiece and in my f/8 Dob it was very nice. Not as good in my f/7 TV85, especially when
      compared with the 24 Pan, but still not terrible. However, the edges were really pretty bad
      in a buddy's XT10 while the 24 Pan was still quite good. It might not be the best choice
      for the OP with his fast Starblast, though I realize that edge performance is not as
      important to some as to others. It was more than the edges at f/5 though, more like 25%
      -30% of the FOV showed poor star images. Though they don't come up too often, I have
      seen the older TV 24 Widefield for sale on Astromart. This is the forerunner of the
      Panoptic series and while not quite as well corrected, it's still a very nice eyepiece.

      Clyde
    • cedarman320
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 1, 2006
        --- In telescopes@yahoogroups.com, "donaudy" <clydec@...> wrote:

        > --- In telescopes@yahoogroups.com, Geoff Gaherty <geoff@> wrote:
        > > > And I came across a used Meade 24.5mm SWA.
        > >
        > > I actually have two of these (for my binoviewer). I've always
        > > liked this eyepiece a lot. Many say it isn't as sharp as the
        > > Panoptic 24, but I've always been happy with it.
        > > Geoff
        > > **********
        > Geoff,
        >
        > What scope do you use these with? In particular, what is the
        > f/ratio? I've used this eyepiece and in my f/8 Dob it was very
        > nice. Not as good in my f/7 TV85, especially when compared with
        > the 24 Pan, but still not terrible. However, the edges were
        > really pretty bad in a buddy's XT10 while the 24 Pan was still
        > quite good

        The Meade 24.5mm SWA is my wide field eyepiece for my XT8 f/6 (GS
        1.25" focuser). I compared it w/ a TV 32mm plossl for quite some time
        and felt the edges were about identical, w/ the 24.5mm having the
        benefit of the same field at increased magnification (and increased
        backround darkening), and better eye relief for me (TV was too
        much). I recall only a short comparison w/ a 27 Pan in Chris' XT10,
        and while the Pan was certainly begtter, the edges on the Meade did
        not detract from my view. This was the later version of the 24.5mm
        with the knurled housing, if that makes a difference. The best I can
        describe this, at least in my case, is that a slight refocusing to
        get the edges is usually OK for me, but if I can notice the edges are
        really "sloppy" and blurry while I'm still looking on axis, that's
        where I draw the line. I agree the even faster f.l. of the Starblast
        could be problematic, but as you said, everyone's aesthetics are
        differnt.

        If Geoff still owns his Starblast, maybe he can pop it in there for a
        quick spin.

        Rick
      • Robert Bruce Thompson
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 1, 2006
          donaudy wrote:

          > What scope do you use these with? In particular, what is the f/ratio? I've used this
          > eyepiece and in my f/8 Dob it was very nice. Not as good in my f/7 TV85, especially when
          > compared with the 24 Pan, but still not terrible. However, the edges were really pretty bad
          > in a buddy's XT10 while the 24 Pan was still quite good. It might not be the best choice
          > for the OP with his fast Starblast, though I realize that edge performance is not as
          > important to some as to others. It was more than the edges at f/5 though, more like 25%
          > -30% of the FOV showed poor star images. Though they don't come up too often, I have
          > seen the older TV 24 Widefield for sale on Astromart. This is the forerunner of the
          > Panoptic series and while not quite as well corrected, it's still a very nice eyepiece.

          I wish Orion sold a Stratus longer than 21mm. A 25mm version would be
          ideal to get the maximum possible true field in a 1.25" focuser.

          I haven't posted a review of my 5mm Stratus because I've been able to
          use it only briefly. We did use it in an observing buddy's 8" SCT last
          weekend to view Saturn, and it did extremely well. Seeing was excellent,
          and at 400+X in the SCT the 5mm Stratus revealed a lot of detail,
          including very subtle low-contrast cloud detail. The 5mm Stratus was
          equally good on Saturn at 250X in our 10" f/5 Dob.

          Our observing buddy commented that the 5mm Stratus was the most
          comfortable short eyepiece he'd ever used in his SCT. That's a strong
          endorsement, since his eyepiece case is full of Pentax, Nagler, and
          Panoptic eyepieces. I think he may end up ordering an 8mm Stratus to
          replace his 7mm Nagler.

          He also compared our 30mm Guan Sheng Superview against his 27mm
          Panoptic. His comment was that at f/10 the Pan was better, but not by
          much. He's ordering a 40mm GSO Superview to use as his new finder eyepiece.

          --
          Robert Bruce Thompson
          thompson@...
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 1, 2006
            --- In telescopes@yahoogroups.com, Robert Bruce Thompson <thompson@...> wrote:

            > I wish Orion sold a Stratus longer than 21mm. A 25mm version would be
            > ideal to get the maximum possible true field in a 1.25" focuser.
            >
            > I haven't posted a review of my 5mm Stratus because I've been able to
            > use it only briefly. We did use it in an observing buddy's 8" SCT last
            > weekend to view Saturn, and it did extremely well. Seeing was excellent,
            > and at 400+X in the SCT the 5mm Stratus revealed a lot of detail,
            > including very subtle low-contrast cloud detail. The 5mm Stratus was
            > equally good on Saturn at 250X in our 10" f/5 Dob.
            >
            > Our observing buddy commented that the 5mm Stratus was the most
            > comfortable short eyepiece he'd ever used in his SCT. That's a strong
            > endorsement, since his eyepiece case is full of Pentax, Nagler, and
            > Panoptic eyepieces. I think he may end up ordering an 8mm Stratus to
            > replace his 7mm Nagler.
            >
            > He also compared our 30mm Guan Sheng Superview against his 27mm
            > Panoptic. His comment was that at f/10 the Pan was better, but not by
            > much. He's ordering a 40mm GSO Superview to use as his new finder eyepiece.

            Bob,

            I didn't know that the 21mm was where the Stratus line stopped. It is interesting that
            there's not a longer one than that. I've heard good things abou tthe GSO Superviews and
            am considering getting one as a low power daytime eyepiece for my TV85. I use my 24
            Pan a lot, but that's the lowest power I currently have. I sold my 35 Pan partly to buy some
            Christmas gifts and partly because my sky here is just a little too bright to take full
            advantage of it by night, but I've found I do miss it by day. The 24 Pan works wonderfully
            here day and night, but I am jonesing for another 2" eyepiece!

            Clyde

          • Geoff Gaherty
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 1, 2006
              donaudy wrote:
              > What scope do you use these with? In particular, what is the f/ratio?

              I've used in many different scopes, but mainly those with 1.25" eyepiece
              holders, and, as I mentioned, with my binoviewer. The latter is usually with
              the 2x corrector in place, so typically f/8.6 with my Starmaster. But I have
              used it with my StarBlast (now long gone). It seemed fine with that, though I
              wasn't overly critical. After all, how much do you want to spend on an eyepiece
              for a $169 telescope?!

              Geoff

              --
              Geoff Gaherty
              Foxmead Observatory
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 2, 2006
                Hi again,

                I've posted a question about a wide-angle eyepiece (1.25 in)and got
                feedback on the Meade 24.5mm SWA. Very interesting, thanks! I might
                be choosing this one since there's one for sale by a friend.

                But does anybody has any comment on the Meade 26mm Series 5000 Plossl?

                And the Celestron 23mm Axiom?

                It seems we don't hear too often about these eyepieces. But they give
                close to the maximum true field for a 1.25in eyepiece. Does anybody
                know how they perform on an f4 (starblast) and f4.7 reflector?

                Thanks,

                Normand

                --- In telescopes@yahoogroups.com, "nlmontreal"
                <normand_lafortune@...> wrote:

                > Hi,
                >
                > I am looking for a wide-angle low-power 1,25" eyepiece that I could
                > use in my 10 inch Dob (f4.7) and my Starblast (f4).

                Snip
                > What about the Meade 26mm Plossl Series 5000? Would the coma still
                be
                > acceptable at f4?
                >
                > And the Celestron Axiom 23mm?
                >
                > And I came across a used Meade 24.5mm SWA. Is it any better than
                the
                > 26mm 5000?
                >
                > Normand Lafortune
                > Montreal

              • John O'Hara
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 3, 2006
                  Hi Normand,

                  The primary eyepiece I use in my Starblast is the 22 Panoptic. I also
                  own a 26 mm Meade 5000 Plossl. Although I have not tested it
                  extensively, due to clouds, in the f/4 Starblast the edges were soft.
                  I did not do thorough enough testing to determine if the effect was
                  uncorrected coma and astigmatism, or if it was a curved field, not
                  allowing stars in the center to be in-focus at the same setting as
                  off-axis images. It wasn't too bad, as I recall, but certainly not as
                  good as the Panoptic with respect to off-axis images.

                  I don't know what the 21 Stratus weighs, but the 22 Panoptic works
                  just fine in the Starblast's focuser.

                  Best,
                  John O'Hara
                  NW Pennsylvania, USA