New Member

  • vince1972greenock
    Message 1 of 27 , Nov 1, 2005
      Hi Everyone!
      Just a quick messege to introduce myself. My name is
      Vince, I live in Scotland and I'm interested in Telescopes and
      Stargazing. I had a small scope which I used - in the end - for
      projecting the sun on the roof - it consequently warped the plastic
      and smoke billowed from it lol. I should'nt laugh, but I was at my
      witts end with it and that gave me reason to disgard it and search for
      a new one.
      Which leads to my reason for joining. Does anyone know of a Bargain
      Buy Scope out there?? A crazy price somewhere just screaming out. I
      can afford maybe £1000.

      Thanks

      Vince
    • Geoff Gaherty
      Message 2 of 27 , Nov 1, 2005
        vince1972greenock wrote:

        > Just a quick messege to introduce myself. My name is
        > Vince, I live in Scotland and I'm interested in Telescopes and
        > Stargazing. I had a small scope which I used - in the end - for
        > projecting the sun on the roof - it consequently warped the plastic
        > and smoke billowed from it lol. I should'nt laugh, but I was at my
        > witts end with it and that gave me reason to disgard it and search for
        > a new one.
        > Which leads to my reason for joining. Does anyone know of a Bargain
        > Buy Scope out there?? A crazy price somewhere just screaming out. I
        > can afford maybe £1000.

        Hi Vince, and welcome!

        Those little scopes are usually pretty bad, so maybe it deserved its fiery end!

        Usually the best buys for amateur astronomy are Dobsonian reflectors, which are
        easy to use and give you the most aperture for your money. I notice that BCH is
        selling Guan Sheng scopes, a strong favorite around here, under their
        "Revelation" brand:

        http://www.telescopehouse.co.uk/page.aspx?f=on&theLang=001lngdef&pointerID=1782135B3RoyQMX4MQtLgRfc1LlJb9NP

        The Orion (US) Dobs there are also excellent, but tend to be a bit pricey
        because they're imported via California. The other brand to look for is SkyWatcher:

        http://www.opticalvision.co.uk/prodtype.asp?PT_ID=21

        The usual advice with Dobs is to get as large a scope as you can afford AND
        handle comfortably. The 6", 8" and 10" sizes are all roughly the same size, but
        beyond that things get very big very fast! It would be good if you located your
        local astronomical society and had a look at some of these scopes first hand.

        The above scopes are made in Taiwan (Guan Sheng) or China. If you want
        something made in the UK, your best bet is Orion UK:

        http://www.orionoptics.co.uk/acatalog/Dobsonians.html

        My personal recommendation from any of these lines would be the 8" or 10" size,
        depending on your budget.

        Geoff

        --
        Geoff Gaherty
        Foxmead Observatory
        Message 3 of 27 , Nov 1, 2005
          Welcome aboard Vince. That is quite a story you have there. I have
          projected the Sun with my small reflecting telescopes, but I can't say
          I ignited either one of them. They are very efficient at ingiting other
          things held outside of the drawtube though. It's a good thing you
          weren't looking through it with one of those eyepiece mounted Solar
          filters.

          There are lots of good to excellent quality telescopes out there
          available for well under $1,000 U.S., which is far less than 1000
          pounds. I would suggest that an 8-inch Dobsonian is the best bet,
          because a good one can be found for $500.00, and with the purchase of a
          few high quality eyepieces, star altas and a nebula filter, you'll be
          all set. An 8-inch has plenty of light gathering power, and under dark
          skies, can show very faint objects such as the planet Pluto. I have a
          ten-inch and I find objects such as NGC-147 and the Crescent Nebula,
          two notoriously hard objects to see from light polluted and or hazy
          skies here in the Gulf Coast of the USA. Best of all, an 8-inch is
          small enough to put in your car, and usually weighs 40 pounds or less.

          Taras
        • Gordon Nason
          Message 4 of 27 , Nov 1, 2005
            "vince1972greenock" <vince1972greenock@...>wrote:
            Just a quick messege to introduce myself. My name is
            Vince, I live in Scotland and I'm interested in Telescopes and
            Stargazing. Which leads to my reason for joining. Does anyone know of a
            Bargain
            Buy Scope out there?? A crazy price somewhere just screaming out. I
            can afford maybe £1000.

            Vince,

            Besides the dealers Geoff mentioned, check out two UK used equipment sites:
            http://www.astronomy-uk.co.uk/ (UK Astro Ads)
            http://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/

            There's a 10-inch Skywatcher Dob on UK Astro Ads for £350 at the moment:
            http://www.astronomy-uk.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=1871

            If you buy either Astronomy Now or Sky at Night magazines, you'll find a
            number of UK astronomy equipment dealers listed in their pages.

            Gordon
          • vince1972greenock
            Message 5 of 27 , Nov 7, 2005
              Hi Geoff

              Many thanks for your time and effort, its is much appreciated.
              I will have time soon to have a look at the links you provided and
              look forward to it.

              Kind Regards

              Vince
            • vince1972greenock
              Message 6 of 27 , Nov 7, 2005
                Hi Gordon,
                Thanks you for taking time out to help me in my search for
                a great scope. I have not had time yet to check out the links but im
                hoping to get this weekend free for that.

                Kind Regards

                Vince
              • odysseus0924
                Message 7 of 27 , Aug 29, 2006
                  Hello, everyone. Being new to the group and getting a lot from the
                  discussions, I just wanted to introduce myself. I live in cloudy,
                  hurricaney South Florida where the skies are pretty hazy and a light
                  dome hovers over the area as oppresively as the heat does in August.

                  I moved from the dark skies of Colorado to what must be one of the
                  most light-polluted areas in the USA. I can, howeve, see a few stars
                  (at least I'd wager they're stars). Anyway, I've been in the process
                  of selecting a new scope, I'm considering the Meade LXD75 SN 8", and
                  was wondering if anyone in the group might have this one and what
                  their thoughts might be regarding it. Thanks.

                  Guy Slack
                  from Wonderful Plantation, FL
                • Geoff Gaherty
                  Message 8 of 27 , Aug 29, 2006
                    odysseus0924 wrote:

                    > Hello, everyone. Being new to the group and getting a lot from the
                    > discussions, I just wanted to introduce myself. I live in cloudy,
                    > hurricaney South Florida where the skies are pretty hazy and a light
                    > dome hovers over the area as oppresively as the heat does in August.
                    >
                    > I moved from the dark skies of Colorado to what must be one of the
                    > most light-polluted areas in the USA. I can, howeve, see a few stars
                    > (at least I'd wager they're stars). Anyway, I've been in the process
                    > of selecting a new scope, I'm considering the Meade LXD75 SN 8", and
                    > was wondering if anyone in the group might have this one and what
                    > their thoughts might be regarding it. Thanks.

                    Welcome, Guy!

                    The good news is that you've moved from one of the areas in the USA with the
                    most unstable air to an area with the steadiest. You may lose some deep sky
                    observing, but you're in for wonderful lunar and planetary observing!

                    I've never found very many people who are really enthusiastic about Meade's
                    Schmidt-Newtonians. I think you get much better images for your money with
                    plain old Newtonians. The choice of scopes and mounts is much wider. Given
                    your new location, you might look instead at an equatorially mounted Newtonian
                    with a fairly long focal ratio. Generally Orion's and Celestron's equatorial
                    mounts are rated higher than Meade's. The Celestron Advanced Series mount gets
                    particularly positive reviews from many people.

                    Geoff

                    --
                    Geoff Gaherty
                    Foxmead Observatory